Things to hate about...

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by jpattersonnh, Nov 22, 2013.

1. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Hunting season!!!

Rain, more rain.
    Heat!!
    Fog!
    Overcast at night/fog. (Coyotes)

We have had it all this year. It is about 60 right now.

2. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I feel exactly the same way.
    I would live a few inches of snow on opening morning.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I like fog for coyote hunting, especially calling. The fog dulls the coyotes senses. They usually come very close. Foggy mornings make for great deer hunting as well. Misting rain has the same effect on both coyote and deer. I do have to admit both fog and mist make for a miserable hunter.

4. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Well I guess you gotta take what you get, that's part of the challenge of hunting. I've always had better luck bird hunting when there's snow on the ground.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I hated when the I hate thread got locked. :(

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Maybe it will be better by December !..................

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Whitetail season will be over, 2nd half of waterfowl begins 2nd week of Dec.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Blackpowder in Missouri starts Dec. 21 !................

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Growing up in south floirda the only thang I hate is the heat. Rain, I have killed more deer in the rain than any other weather condition, snow, cold , fog, over cast is fine with me too. I learn early on deer don't like to lay when its raining so I go hunt when others say in camp.

10. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I have hunted through everything but moist cold is the worst.
    Early bow season I got to the stand through a thick fog, temp was about 34°.
    As the sun came up the wind started & temp dropped, I sat there and watched while the fog froze on the limbs & twigs around me.
    With my arthritis I had a real painful time climbing down out of the stand that morning.

11. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

I started hunting in the TX panhandle 20 or so years ago. Brothers it gets cold up there and I have learned two invaluable tricks to hunting in the cold to keep from being miserable.

1) A hooded coat at least a size larger than you'd normally wear for your outermost layer. I typically wear a thin Under Armor type shirt, a cotton t-shirt, a heavy Carhart insulated shirt (I think it's called a Shirtjack) then the hooded coat. The hood is key for retaining heat.
    2) a thermos of strong, hot coffee. The caffeine really ramps up my motor and just being hot liquid helps keep my body warm from the inside out. Also, eat something fairly high-calorie before you go out. This will give fuel to your furnace.

Also, I just remembered another trick I use. All that coffee I drink has to come out eventually. I carry an empty water bottle with me and "recycle" that coffee into it, and presto: Instant hand warmer. Pull off your gloves and hang on to the bottle to enjoy that heat instead of letting it go to waste.

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I hate it how us Americans are always bitching about the weather. Too hot, too cold, too wet, etc. I see it all the time during winter social hunts. Makes us look like a bunch of wimps. European hunters shake their heads or mumble under their breath due to the complaints. (Man up! Ranger up! Cowboy up! Whatever relates to you.) Funny, I had a Russian girlfriend who used to say, "it is worse in Russia." So, as far as weather goes, at least you do not live in Russia. Oh, and she was right...I experienced it for myself. ;)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  13. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Hate is the single most powerful word ever, only Love comes close! I rarely use the word hate and even bust on my Grandkids for using ii. When I hate something, people to know it, they should, Hate could cause me to do really bad things to a person, they deserve a little warning (3 second rule)! I could count the Living humans on one hand that I truly Hate; in my eyes, they deserve a place that is special and cold, if I hate you, dont make the mistake of walking in front of my car, my airbag will deploy, I promise!

I dont hate Deer but I hate the year round Dear/ Car hunting Season In NY. Way too many of them getting stuck to the front ends of cars instead of being hunted! As far as the weather goes, it goes and comes then comes again, cant hate it but I wont say I love the Snow much anymore, Its a bit of a drag on the backside moving it.

14. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I hate that pheasants and grouse are becoming next to non existent in Minnesota these days due to much lower CRP participation and in the case of grouse they are at the absolute low point if their 12 year population cycle....all at once

Not overly excited that the 3 days we were able to deer hunt in MN this year were very cold and more important, gusty winds. Had to go to Montana to get my deer this year.

Love that the time I spent in the field was with family!!!!!

15. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Pheasant Hunting was my first love, sadly like you said, none are left! Ive seen very few grouse either, they are fast buggers and tasty! Both have been replaced by Ben Franklin's favorite bird, the flying Bowling ball (Turkeys). One of those hits your windshield you know it, gonna leave a bruise for sure!

16. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I don't hate anything about deer season or the weather during it. I wait all year long for it to arrive. When it gets here I enjoy every moment as much as I can. I'm gonna kill a few, 6-10 no matter the weather. I just have to adjust my technique depending on hot, cold, wind or whatever. I relish every second of it.

17. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

Do your thing :)

18. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Finding tree stands multiple times on your own property. Even finding people on it that take off running when you yell "what are you doing here, this is private property", - that I hate. I Also hate sitting all day and not a single deer comes through, sunup to sundown.

19. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I can see Russia from my front porch! :p

It was cold this time, but only 16 degrees cold. (Still feels like -16 when waking up in a warm sleeping bag and having to get ready for the hunt though) :eek:

And what is this 'HOT' you speak of???

20. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Germany does get hot sometimes. There is no such thing as AC in most of Europe! One summer a lot of French older folks died because their families were on vacation during the summer. Typical French.:rolleyes: From your porch! Ok, Sarah, whatever you say.:p Oh, for being cold, let me tell you about Siberia sometime...now that is effing cold.:eek:

Oh, which sleeping bag are you using. Thanks.