they sure know their stuff at Gander Mountain!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by chloeshooter, May 5, 2014.

1. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

well, maybe not so much.....

I stop at a Gander Mtn near my gun club for targets and ammo. Yesterday, I was in no particular hurry, so I thought I'd window-shop a few rifles.

I asked the young gentleman behind the counter if I could take a look at AK47 (pointing to the rack where one was held). He handed me this:

[​IMG]

I let him know that was not an AK47, and he immediately turned, put the HK away and handed me this:

[​IMG]

I am NOT kidding about this. I leaned over the counter a bit this time and pointed towards the AK and suggested that he grab 'the one with the wood stock'.

The young man explained that I had confused him a bit and he was not sure which 'AK' I was talking about (they only had one in stock)

I got a bit of a chuckle out of this, but also think it is tragic really. If you work the gun counter at (what I believe is now) America's largest gun dealer, and you don't know a damn thing about the products you are selling.......well, I guess it should be no surprise when the dang media gets it wrong.......

2. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Was he deaf? I know this sounds stupid but I have heard people pronounce H&K products Hk ie "lemme see the hk over there" . I am really digging for a reason he did not know what an Ak was.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

He probably watches the news. Everything is an AK, ya know.

4. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

He's Probably young and learning, and the expert was out of the net.

5. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

something like this I believe:

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yes, pretty much the handout I think that they made up for reporters.

7. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

And some folks wonder why I always ask to see the Kalashnakov.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

This "kid" was probably hired without firearms knowledge (obvious).

When I come on such a situation, I will provide the clerk with a little knowledge.

These are minimum wage jobs, and you would expect someone earning $10 an hour to try to learn subject matter to get a wage increase.

9. jakeball

jakeball New Member

Hk/ak Easily confused

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i refuse to ever set foot in a Gander Mountain again. the three times i have been in the one closest to me, (about 60 miles one way) the first time i bought my Savage 17 HMR rifle. i told the salesman what i wanted and even gave him the model number of the one on display. he brought out the wrong model and got huffy when i then explained again the model number i wanted. he took it back and brought out another one. right model, but this one had a huge scratch all the way down the stock from what looked from a boxcutter blade. i said i wanted one without a scratch. he said what did it matter as i would probably scratch it up hunting anyways. i asked him if he was going to discount the price becasue of the scratch, he said he couldn't. i said i wanted one without a scratch on it then. he got even huffier! finally got what i wanted. and the thing is, i have never yet to date hunted once with that rifle. nothing but shooting from a bench. which is what i bought it for.

second time, went to buy some reloading books and look at rifles. early afternoon on a thursday and not a lot customers in the store. getting salesman to wait on me to look at some rifles was worse than i could have ever imagined. it was like showing a rifle was asking for too much. how do you sell something to someone if you don't take time to show it off to a potential buyer. the salesman seemed more interested in the private conversation they were having in, than trying to sell merchandise. i found the book selection and found a few books that interested me, bought them and left.

the third time, i was in there looking at pistols. the salesman was very rude. he even actually pissed me off with some of his comments. i was looking at and wanted to handle a couple Colt 1911's that were on display. he said he thought those might be out of my price range and wanted to suggest some cheaper pistols that i might be able to afford. how did this idiot determine how much i could afford? it's not like i was dressed like some bumpkin who just stepped off the tractor and walked into the store, but i wasn't wearing a three peice suit either. i said i wasn't interested in anything but a higher end 1911 pistol. he asked me if i was sure whether i could afford such a pistol. i looked him in the eye and told him i could afford just about any pistol he had in his display case and maybe even more than just one if i was so inclined to buy. i also told him because of his rude manners that he just lost a potential sale. i then left and have never set foot in there again.

i can't and won't tolerate rude behaviour from a salesman. i tend to do business with those who appreciate my business and my money.

11. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

yeah, really and everybody expects all the people at bass pro to know everything to, but they don't.......you pay for what you get.:D

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Local Gander store opened about a year ago. I went on once. The prices were so ridiculous, I walked out, vowing to never set foot in there again.

13. Axxe55

part of the reason i went the first two times is the owner of the company i was working for at the time would give all the guys in the shop huge gift cards to GM for Christmas bonus's.

that first one bought me my Savage M93r17 rifle and scope and ammo!

the second one got me a lot of various books for reloading an on guns.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

You gave them a third try? LOL The closest I have come to a place like this is a big store, but not a chain, Kittery Trading Post. By far & away the biggest gun dept. I have ever been in. In all of the years I have been going there, that have always seemed to have a decent clue. Most of the times, it's getting service that's the issue, simply because of the # of customers in there.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  15. Axxe55

i was passing through back home and came that way. was in no big hurry to get home and had some time to kill. it was on a Monday IIRC and my regular LGS is closed on Mondays.

lesson learned!

16. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

to some people their job is just a place they go for 8 or 9 hours a day & earn money, they have no interest in what they do. this is the case with many people who work in chain hardware stores & this guy at gander mtn might be the same.

a couple years ago I bought a drill on clearance at Lowe's, the battery wouldn't hold a charge so I returned it. they didn't have another one in stock so the customer service woman was going to try & get a new one under warranty from the company. she gets them on the phone, looks at me & asks me "what is this?" while holding the cordless drill. I ask her what she means & she replies "what would you call this?" Um..a cordless drill. she then says the words like she's never heard them before in her life. Seriously woman, you work in a hardware store, how can you not know what a cordless drill is?