These old eyes !

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Aug 6, 2020.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My target shooting over the past ten years has really gotten terrible . It got to the point I didn't want to shoot with friends and neighbors because I was getting so bad . I've got a Ruger .22 with red dot sites that I can shoot pretty well . I also have a Glock 17 Gen 3 that I bought in 1999 and still have . I never changed much on it since I bought it . I did buy an after market barrel , polished the trigger assembly but not much else .

I could shoot it pretty well for about 12 years and then my eyes started getting worse . At 25 yards , I was lucky to get half on paper at all and I'm talking a two foot square !

About a month ago , I finally broke down and bought some good fiber optics sites . My shooting has improved a good 70% . Now at 25 yards , I have yet to hit my two inch Bulls-eye but am getting way closer . 28 of thirty shots are all on paper now , a much greater improvement ! Maybe I'll put a rifle scope on next , 3.5 X 50 ....? :D

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    primer1, OLD Ron, kfox75 and 7 others like this.
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

DCFAF32D-C0D7-413A-A057-0B3886499258.jpeg
    Getting old sure beats the alternative.

Sniper03, OLD Ron and dango like this.

3. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

How about some glasses?

Rifling82 and dango like this.
  4. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. Last eye exam, my vision's distance focus cut by double-digits, requiring a much stronger prescription. A bit disconcerting, but I'm officially in "Old Fart" territory, these days.

Have been thinking of getting brighter, larger, possibly fiber optic type sights installed on some of my firearms. This last eye exam pretty much seals it.

Have a new H&K P30. These new TruGlo sights intrigue me: TruGlo TFX Pro tritium/fiber day+night sights (SKU# TG13HP1PC). Not the least expensive on the block, but the sight picture looks clear, and the view of the dots looks fairly bright. If they pan out in the LGS and are as bright as they look to be, it might be on the P30 soon.

dango likes this.
  5. dango

I think I'd need bifocals at least , can't seem to pick up the distant target and the front sight at same time. !

Rifling82 and winds-of-change like this.
  6. SK2344

SK2344 Active Member

I know exactly what you are going through because at 76 years I just can't seem to be as good as I was 10 or so years ago. You did, IMO the right thing by going to the Fiber optic sights and I have improved my shooting with them. I am a Glock Guy and I have changed the sights on all of my Glocks in the last 20 or so years. I had night sights on my G19 which was my duty weapon for over 10 years but I now use only Fiber Optic with a green rear and a red front and they work great on my EDC guns, my G43 and G48!

dango likes this.
  7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Your eyes, my hands. I find it very difficult to fire my GP100 anymore. It has a 6” barrel. Just to heavy for me these days. :(

dango likes this.
  8. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

MisterMcCool, PeeJay1313 and dango like this.
  9. winds-of-change

Before he had cataract surgery and got shiny new multi focal lens implants, Balota had a pair of glasses that had near vision correction for one eye and far vision correction for the other eye.

dango likes this.
  10. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Try plain readers. The main thing is to see the front sight so choose that. No glasses will give you an equally sharp view at arms length and at 25 yards, like normal eyesight. Bifocals are only as good as the reading half is.

dango likes this.
  11. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Dango, get bigger paper! 25' X 12' should do the trick!;)

primer1, OLD Ron, Rifling82 and 3 others like this.
  12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Put a picture of a barn on it.:rolleyes:
    Seriously get your eyes checked.

dango likes this.
  13. dango

Which caliber do you have ? If you got a .357 I can see why you'd have trouble .

14. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Well-Known Member

Wait until you get to my age and you find not only your eyesight isn't as good, you no longer have steady hands either. Duck and cover if you see me on the shooting range.

primer1, dmodguy, boatme98 and 3 others like this.
  15. dango

Whelp , in a month , I'll be 68 so like wise on the range ......:D........nothing personal , but when I draw down on some old lady walking out of Dairy Queen thinking it's a wildibeast , sheeeeeeez.....!

16. dango

I ordered a bill-board .........o_O

primer1, RJF22553, boatme98 and 2 others like this.
  17. winds-of-change

Yes. .357 magnum.
    That is if we can see it’s you.

Dango, that was ME!!!!

Oaktree45 and boatme98 like this.
  18. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Well Dango, actually we never could focus on the front sight and a distant target at the same time. Younger eyes can go back and forth rapidly so it seems like both are in focus but, in truth, the two never were at the same time. Being able to see things far away or up close is a different thing. Before my Lasik surgery, I was nearsighted (20/200) meaning perfect vision folks saw stuff at 200 feet I saw clearly at 20 feet. After, I had 20/20 in one eye and slightly better in the other. Downside was I kept sticking stuff in my eyes because all my life glasses protected them (sticks on trees, weeds, spider webs, etc.)

At 71, "floaters" are confusing, too-long computer sessions get fuzzy, etc. Lasik was life-changing for me.

OLD Ron, RJF22553 and winds-of-change like this.
  19. winds-of-change

My son had LASIK a couple months ago. Balota and I got multi focal lens implants when we had cataracts removed.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  20. dango

Not you Winds ! oh Bolota would settle for nothing but the best .