Thermal/Nightvision Setups

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by MCarter788, Aug 25, 2013.

1. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

I am getting interested in a unit that has both of these capabilities. Does anyone know much about this stuff, or what companies have the best products? It is for hunting varmints at night. A gun mounted system plus a handheld unit for observation. Thanks in advance if anyone does know anything.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

All I know is they are very expensive, have the tendency to sh!t out and throw depth perception out the window.
    Nothing funnier than watching someone try to move through the woods with nv. Lol

3. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

Well surely there is a reliable unit out there that is available to the civilian market.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm sure there is. I can't recommend one and I'd assume you're looking at a minimum $1000.

5. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

Ha a minimum of $1000 would make me a little leery in purchasing it! I know what they cost, upwards of $20-30k. Just seeing if there are was anyone on this forum who might have some knowledge. Im just poking around everywhere trying to get some advice.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I had a buddy that bought one for $2500. He brought it up to the camp one night to sight in and it wouldn't work, hasn't worked since. I think he got 3 shots out of it.

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The Pulsar NV 550 digital scope is a decent unit. It can be used day or night.
    I've looked through one of these units and was impressed with it. They run about $1500,but I'd buy the battery pack to go with it.The batteries in the unit don't last long in the field,and also plan on getting an external UV light source for better night vision.

Thermal is going to cost you.They start off around $5k for the cheaper handheld units.

8. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

Okay, but what is the absolute best unit that can be purchased by a civilian?

9. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

I have zero experience with it, but I'd think this unit would be about the best as far as thermal goes http://www.opticsplanet.com/insight...X4ARg&ef_id=UalrJQAAABFRrV1j:20131229194012:s

320x240 res @ 60hz
    Man size target detection @ over 500 meters per eotech website, and tested up to 50 cal. Sounds solid and their dot sights have a great reputation.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Dunno. But I wouldn't be dropping $20-30k on something just for critter shooting at night. I don't do enough varmint hunting at night to justify the expense. I'd roll that money to land for a range, or reducing a mortgage, or a house or something I could make money off of.

11. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

I found this one which has a higher resolution. I think 640x480 is the best. But I wanted to make sure.

12. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

Thanks for the advice.

13. SSGN_Doc

I didn't mean to be critical, just seemed the cost to gain ratio would be a bit steep, unless your life depends on it, or you made money off of hog or coyote removal. Then I could see justifying the expense. Or maybe independently wealthy. Anyone should be able to spend the money they earn on anything they want. Some folks just get blinded by a hobby, then look back and wonder where their money went, while they end up "living in a van down by the river." ;)

14. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

I'd bet there are guys that spend more than that to go golfing, and I know for a fact that there are guys that spend more than that to drive around a race track.

15. SSGN_Doc

If they have the disposable income for it. Great. If I don't fire 20,000-30,000 rounds at varmints at night, I don't figure I can justify the expense on my budget. If it was something that added value at a rate of $1.00 per shot, I figure I could justify it. Or if it washing me money, or winning me prizes... Then it's another story.

Maybe I'm just jealous.:D

16. SSGN_Doc

Back to the original post. The only combined unit I've seen first hand was an EOTech unit. Not much in the way of magnification, and it was over $20,000. Neat toy.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont know of any combo unit that acts as a gunsite as well as thermal that works well and is sold to the public.

there are a number of ir and starlight scopes some better than others usually running round 2-3k$

commercial thermals have fairly short range and extremely short battery life

18. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/PVS-14 are down to 2800 if you look around a bit to buy the actual US military unit.

They actually have different sub models since they are made by different builders.. a single company does not have the capacity to meet military demand in this country.

For best results get a rifle mouneted IR laser (its not a light) and zero it, to show your strike that you can see with your NVG for aiming.

The civilian lasers available are not quite as powerful as military but are of sufficient range for most infantry style night engagements.

I am saving to buy a personal unit by next Christmas.

There are IR Gunsites out there too but its much more effective to wear a head mounted thermal combined with a IR laser.
    ---------
    If your goal is conflict and not hunting beware anything that comes with a IR light.. these are called "active" systems.
    Were pioneered by the Germans in WW2 for Tank combat but if someone else wears NVG's your active will light up for him as well.

-----
    NVG is proper used can be extremly effective... but if you are considered about conflict with NVG wearng folks consdier going white light for your team so the non NVG wearers cna see.
    And a non NVG wearer can see better under parachute flares light than a NVG wearer can.. leveling the playing field.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013