There Are Many Mosins, But This One Is Mine!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by GaryGlock, Oct 12, 2012.

1. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Finally picked her up today, I had it on layaway even though it was only a 100$. Had to catch up on some stuff first. Can't wait to go shoot it, reciever bolt and rifling all look great. More pics once I get her cleaned up.

pinger_980728826.jpg

pinger_980729418.jpg

View attachment 64020

ForumRunner_20121012_172915.jpg

ForumRunner_20121012_173021.jpg

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

These are the most fun firearms I shoot.

I can't explain why. Welcome to the club, amigo.

Enjoy!--:)

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Gotta love the Russian Red shelac. Wait till you smell the Burning powder, Nothing else like it!! I do love the Finn brown also. Your stepping in a deep pool. No going back now!

4. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The only place to shoot a 7.62 x 54 around here is on my hunting grounds. I think the fun will have to wait until 2013. We are blessed with a long season in NC. Opening day is tomorrow 10/13 and deer season rolls on until 1/1.

5. Garadex

Garadex New Member

The best part about owning em is rippin' 'em apart and seeing all those little stampings and such.

6. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

It's like a present inside of a present. A buddy of mine got a hex receiver mosin with the sickle and hammer branded on the stock. Ive been bugging him to sell it for months

7. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Very nice! Congrats, they are a 'blast'. Lol

Here's mine:

Attached Files:

8. vincent

vincent New Member

Mosinitis has no known cure, except buy more Mosin! :D

Congrats, you're gonna love it!!!

9. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Yeah I've already been looking at em all, wondering where its been an what its done. I'm excited to say the least :) I'm still a little busy to break it down an clean it but once I do maybe I can post some pics of the markings. I'm sure some of you guys can tell me what they mean. Range report will have to wait a few weeks unfortunately.

10. msup752

msup752 New Member

I just shot mine for accuracy for the first time yesterday. I aimed for the bull and had a three inch group in the top right corner of the target, just barely on paper with ten shots. Aiming lower left put shots on target. Not bad for a 1943 rifle and 1950's ammo! The trigger is the weakest part.

11. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I have three mosin's.

1929 Izhevsk Hex reciever 91/30. I refinished the stock, all #'s match, real nice rifle

1953 Hungarian M-44. Flawless rifle, great shooter. One of the nicest Ive seen in person.

91/59 Made on a 1942 Izhevsk rifle. Laminated stock.

Three good variations of a cool rifle. Enjoy shooting it. I love shooting mine.

12. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

13. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Im pretty sure its a Izhevsk Russian, 1940. All serial numbers are matching too. Thanks for the post Centurian.

14. bsdavis4296

bsdavis4296 New Member

I love these things too. Mine is a (originally 1903 ishvesk) Finnish Sako M1891. WW1 German Capture. It has Tzarist, (Pre-nazi) German markings, Finnish Markings, and Communist markings. It surprisingly has all-matching parts! It is in fantastic shape as well. I sadly had to repair, and refinish the stock though, but it turned out really nicely!

Attached Files:

15. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

You're very welcome. Have you identified if its original matched or 'forced match'. Original usually has the letter and numbers on bolt, if just the numbers it is more likely a 'forced match' from being re-arsenaled.

16. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Deffinitally all original, there was like 5 to pick from in the shop, I had a good feeling about that one :) are Russians desiresble? I know their the ones thay started making em but w the war I figured quality check wasn't up to par.

17. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I'm interested in getting one of these rifles as well. I was wondering, is it a good idea to buy online or not? I found a few on this site among others but I really wouldn't want to get burned with a piece of junk. Maybe some of you know a reliable place to buy online?

http://www.jgsales.com/rifles-c-209_261.html

18. vincent

vincent New Member

19. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I simply wouldn't buy a mosin online, even if they are reputible. There still could be that one piece of crap on the crate they got stuck with. If I'm buying used or mil-surplus, I'm buying in person.

20. 1911user

1911user New Member

I get my surplus from southern Ohio guns