The yearly farce begins on 14 Mar 10

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by AcidFlashGordon, Mar 8, 2010.

1. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

That farce? Daylight Saving (not savings) Time. Nevada had the chance to stop doing this idiotic crap but our wuss governor at the time, Kenny Guinn, refused to sign the bill using the excuse that it would "confuse the tourists from Kalifornia." He blew it and even had a great Las Vegas supporting ad campaign that would have been "the bomb."

Come to Las Vegas. You'll have an extra hour to enjoy the fun!

Not going on DST doesn't seem to bother Arizona or Hawaii one bit. But Guinn was a f***ing idiot. So we're still stuck having to "Spring Forward and Fall Back" every freakin' year.

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've always wondered what the "savings" was....never understood it.

3. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I am loving it in AZ. No more of that nonsense since I moved here about 15 years ago.

4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

They taught me in second grade how to tell time.

I haven’t really had a problem with it since then.

I think Toy’s R Us has a “See and Say” pull string toy that may help you guys.:D:eek::D

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It no longer makes sense. Unfortunately that seems to be the rule rather than the exception these days.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Do you guys know the real reason why this is done? Or do you just want something to complain about?

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have always hated this crap also. Fall back is fine, I get an extra hour of sleep, but Spring forward can suck it.

We have friends who live in Saskatewan & Alberta Canada and they never have to do this lame crap. They always ask how many hours we are behind them this week. :rolleyes:

Luckily I am taking some vacation next week to have some time to recoup from my precious hour of lost sleep. :eek:

JD

8. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Yes, I know the reason and it is not as practical now as when it was instituted. Wikipedia's version below.

"During his time as an American envoy to France, Benjamin Franklin, author of the proverb, "Early to bed, and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise", anonymously published a letter suggesting that Parisians economize on candles by rising earlier to use morning sunlight. This 1784 satire proposed taxing shutters, rationing candles, and waking the public by ringing church bells and firing cannons at sunrise. Franklin did not propose DST; like ancient Rome, 18th-century Europe did not keep precise schedules. However, this soon changed as rail and communication networks came to require a standardization of time unknown in Franklin's day.

Modern DST was first proposed by the New Zealand entomologist George Vernon Hudson, whose shift-work job gave him leisure time to collect insects, and made him aware of the value of after-hours daylight.In 1895 he presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society proposing a two-hour daylight-saving shift, and after considerable interest was expressed in Christchurch, New Zealand he followed up in an 1898 paper."

I think the complaints are valid as they are the opinion of the people who complained. I am happy not to have to do that anymore.

9. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

History from Wikipedia. Not saying this is gospel or the whole story but it does give an idea:

As for what savings it induces, energy usage either rises by 1 to 5% or decreases by 0.2 to 1 %, depending on what energy used is tracked.

10. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I do much care one way or the other about DST, but I do know that 3/14/10 is one month to the day after Valentines Day and March 14th. is the official Steak and BJ day in these parts. I already purchased two juicy rib-eyes for the occasion.

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Afternoons at the Gun Range, evening Golf, a wuick fishing trip before dinner, BBQing withoout a flashlight!!

What's not to llike? :D

12. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I know Wikipedia is sketchy but was only looking for the jist. Didn't want to do serious research:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010