the WORST junker I ever owned...

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Slugo, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Slugo

Slugo New Member

Winchester 1400 Ranger in 20 gauge with 28" barrel and extended choke tubes. They tried bringing out an economy grade semi-automatic for the masses to sell for less than the superb Remington 1100. The thing was built using the cheapest of materials, mostly plastic and pot metal parts. Not bad looking, but a real junker and lucky to reliably fire ten shots without jamming.... :mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Dunno bout the Ranger but my FIL had an older 1400 that was all steel and wood. It never missed a beat. I'd have liked to have had it even tho I don't care for semi's but that was one of the first things his stepson claimed right after he died.

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I am sure the 1400 lovers will cry foul, but my experience with the 1200/1400 line was pretty dismal. I was selling guns back then and I did a lot of mechanicing - I do not claim gunsmith status. Just could not get them to run reliably and/or not break stuff.

4. Slugo

Slugo New Member

the 1400 was a bit better than the Ranger, a little higher build quality. The Ranger was primarily sold through Sears and Roebuck under the JC Higgins name...

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'll give you $50 for it and take that worthless POS off your hands.

6. Slugo

Slugo New Member

the worthless POS has been long gone. Sold it for $150 even... :)

7. ahole

ahole New Member

High point 9mm. bot it for 75 dollars last year sold it for 100. every other round barrel jugged no mater what adjusting filling or ammo i used after 800 round it was gone

8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

The worst gun I ever owned was a ruger 10/22, hated it with a passion, sold it after three weeks.

9. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Speechless. Good gun my 10/22 is. Love love love it.

10. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

I was gonna say the same thing. How could you ever speak ill about the 10/22. I've had mine since 1978 and it's still going strong.

Rufus

11. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

Sore fingers, sad accuracy, and finish that flaked off after using break free.

They don't make them like they did in 1978.

I don't hate them just think better options to be had.

12. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Personal preference didn't like the trigger pull, didn't like the sights, didn't like the over all feel of the gun. I'm not saying that it's a bad gun I just don't like it, after that I went back to my old Mossberg bolt action shot short and long rifles, now I have a Colt M4 22lr, it's picky on ammo but still feel great to shoot.

13. Slugo

Slugo New Member

not a big 10/22 fan either...

had a newer stainless steel model back a few years ago. Sold it, rather have a good high quality bolt-action...

14. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Im new to this so bare with me whats the best way to paint the wooden stock on my shotgun without it scratching or waring off easily?

15. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Probably better to start a new thread with a title like: "Need advice on painting a wooden stock". That way it will get the proper attention.

Rufus

16. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

17. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

.22 lever gun

The worst was a winchester 250 leveraction, the first one I tried was my uncles, never hit anything with it when hunting I couldnt even see where missed went, barrel seemd straight and the sights wer'nt loose , I figured I was a lousey shot, shot My Win 9422 it was a death ray in comparrison.

14 years later on I was given a box of parts Win 250 and bought some parts after searching 2 years and got it working, just like my uncles .22 I couldent even see the misses, they must of been way off. I sold it at a yard sale for $25 far less than what I had in it for parts.

The only other bad gun was a very worn Western Auto marlin model 30as 30-30win it was so worn it shot patterns, couldent hit a coffee can at 60 yards off a rest.

I have a Winchester 1400 12ga and havent had any problems with it, releasing the bolt is wicked nasty (thumb Gillotene)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011