"The wife"

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Car54, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Car54

Car54 New Member

Maybe it's just me but I've noticed recently that guys when talking about their wives or girlfriends will say "me and THE wife are going...., or THE wife and I will be... or me and THE girlfriend went to.....

It's like saying me and THE dog went for a walk.

To me using THE is claiming ownership or somewhat of a lack of respect for your wife or girlfriend. I mean you wouldn't say me and THE mother and father went to a family picnic.. you'd say me and MY mother and father.

So why not Me and MY wife went.....

Any thoughts or comments?

2. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

I would think saying MY wife would literally imply ownership.

I think this is more tone and context. Depending upon the use the terms, whatever they may be, the way they are used is the key.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

How about "The Old Lady" or "The Ol' ball and chain"?

Better??:p

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Car, that is an great avatar, with caption, and an excellent point there about grammer, that is no doubt used more times unconsciously as habit.

Me and my "Beaver" applaud you sir! ;) :D

[​IMG]

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I want to participate but CA will just nuke it.:eek:

6. Car54

Car54 New Member

I thank you sir!

7. Car54

Car54 New Member

Would that be "THE" CA or "MY" CA will nuke it?

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

It is 'the' wife as opposed to 'the other wife'. How's "Number 4 and I might be there a little late." :eek:

Normally I show the respect by mentioning the lady first. ;)

9. Walley

Walley New Member

I always say my wife and I when I talk about anything we do together. When I want to get her goat I say "She Who Must Be Obayed.

10. LeverGunner

LeverGunner New Member

I say the wife, and my wife. I believe God gave my wife to me. So you might say i do claim ownership over her. I would be right upset if someone else claimed ownership over her thats for sure.

11. jca1

jca1 New Member

It's a way of saying: "I wanted to have fun but the wife went with me"

Consider this statement: Me and the wife went to the game yesterday.

What this really says is: I went to the game and she went with me. All I heard was: why are they doing that? what's his job? look at his butt! I'm hungry, I'm tired, this is boring and stupid, hold my hand, it's too hot, this chair hurts my butt etc. etc. etc. So we left early.

:D

Seriously, I never say that; though I do type it. In real life I address her by name.

12. catsknr

catsknr New Member

WOW! "My" Wife freaks out when I call her by her name. She looks at me funny and wonders what she did wrong. She is used to "babe" or "honey".

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

since my thewife doesnt work she better not complain :p

14. oneshot

oneshot New Member

That is funny true but still funny:D

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

You all need to be polite and respectful!

Example: The Beautiful Warden and I went shooting yesterday!!!!:D

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

When introducing her in person to those she has not met it is always, "This is my wife, [name]."

Funny story: At a Celebration of Life party recently, I ran into a couple of gals I have known for nearly 30 years, but they had never met my wife. One of them asked before I could introduce them, "Is this your signifacant other?" As I started to answer, the ol' ball and chain responded, "Hi, I'm the mistress. Nice to meet you." :D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  17. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

What about the guys that do own their wives ... you know, the mail order variety? :p

As for me, I don't own anybody ... but she is "my" girlfriend ;)

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Skullcrusher!

Now that is funny!!:D

That reminds me of a true story concerning a student at a class and his wife last year. She came in a day later to the hotel. Low cut short dress and boots to set the stage! She went to the front desk on Tuesday and asked for the Officers room key. The officer had advised the manager on Monday he thought his wife might be joining him the following day (Tuesday) if she could get off work.The manager of the hotel gave her the key. She then seriously looked at the manager, Winked and said. Sir do me a favor! Response: "Certainly Mam!" If his wife should show up today please call the room immediately so I will know she is here and we can avoid an incident! The young manager about had a "coronary" but said as professionally as possible, as he stuttered Y-Y-Yes Mam! I will certainly do that! Little did he know this was Scott's wife and she was messing with him. We all had a good laugh about that for the rest of the week! Finally the young manager was filled in on the joke!

19. silentghost

silentghost New Member

Ya'll this is such a moot point.

Think about it. Women were made from a rib in a mans body. (Says it right in the bible) God ran out of room on the male body to put everything, so he took on of man's ribs and made a woMAN. SO, they are just carrying around all the extra parts that God did not have room to put on our own bodies! Taking that into consideration, MY or THE, or whatever, you are really just talking about yourself.

:D

20. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

Oh man! The mental imagine I just had is disturbing! We are so lucky there wasn't enough room. :p