The wheels keep on turning (up that is)

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Chainfire, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Made a swap for this one this morning. Model 36, no dash. Very nice condition. After the old man gets his noon-time nap, I will report back on a range report. If anyone has the Smith book, would you look up date of production for me. J7367xx. Thanks. DSCN0455.JPG

2. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Pinned barrel, NICE!!!

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Chain Nice model 36!:)
    I would say it was manufactured in 1980! This due to the fact that 1979 through 1980 the Serial Numbers started at 1979 at J670001 and at the conclusion of 1980 at J760000. If they manufactured the same amount of Model 36s for the two year period that would around 45000 of them per year figured on the Serial Number spread. If that is correct 1980 would have started out with Serial Number J715001 and yours is J7367XX.!
    1981 Started at J760001 for example.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    kfox75 and towboater like this.
  4. Chainfire

Thank you very much. I don't know why, but I like to know when they were made. This one must have spent most of the last 39 years in a sock drawer. (it doesn't seem possible that 1980 was forty years ago, does it?) I am going to looking for some nice wooden grips for it.

By the way, I sure as hell hope you had to look that all up. ;)

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Chain,

Yes I did! l like to learn and do that kind of stuff even for my guns. I have always liked the S&W Model 36 Revolvers. :) And they are great for CCW as well. But that is a very nice one you have there! It is kind of like a lot of guns I have. Before me they spent Decades as a Safe or Drawer Queen! For example my Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 was made in 1955. Even had one of the original old Weaver Scopes on it. The bolt face is not even marked up. If it has had more than 10 rounds through it that would be a surprise. And just the History of the Pre-64 Model 70! It is one like Marine Corp Sniper Carlos Hathcock used in Vietnam. Of course I am sure his was tweaked by the Marine Corp Armorers at Quantico before issue. As you, I like to know a little bit more about the guns I own and a little history if possible.
    Don't forget your Range Report!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Rifling82 likes this.
  6. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

7. Chainfire

That would be a nice rifle to own.

I don't think that it was in Hathcocks book, but another book about sniping in Vietnam, but it sounded like the rifles came off the shelf of some retailer, and any tweaking was by local unit armorers. I suspect that they made sure the scope was on straight, bedded the action, sweetened the trigger, and that was about it. But, it has been a long time since I read the books, and my memory is not flawless.

I do recall one statement in one of the sniper books, to the effect that they (the sniper school) could teach anyone to shoot, but they could not teach just anyone to be an sniper. As I recall, shooting was the easiest skill to teach, and some of the skills necessary to be a great sniper. Judgement, courage, patience and dedication (in no particular order) had to come from inside the man.

I will get this one out for the rang report after I go get tires on Mama's car. It will be fun to shoot it side by side with the new (old) Colt Cobra.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Sniper03 and Rifling82 like this.
  8. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm right with ya Chain, I love to know when my guns were made.... If only they could talk!!

9. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

Very nice Chain. I actually have a 36 no dash 3" in my pocket while I take a night walk through the woods. 20190823_223845.jpeg

10. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

nice 36 Chain. Mines a touch older (1978), but also spent most of it's life, before coming to me, in a nightstand drawer.

On the wood grips, give me a couple days, as I may have a set kicking around here, in good condition, as the last 36 I had was passed on to a friend when she got her pistol permit, and she found the rubber grips to be more comfortable than the wood ones were, and they boomeranged back to me. Just need to check the parts stash, and see if I still have them, or if someone made me an offer, and I took them up on it.

I'll let you know by the end of next week.

11. Chainfire

I also have a pocket '36 that I pocket when I am farting around the home place and don't feel like dressing out. It is a good gun but the finish is banged up enough that I don' t worry about putting in my overalls pocket with the knife, cellphone and a handful of drywall screws. It lives in the right hand drawer, so that if I have to fight off a burglar, I won't have to stand up to draw my 1911.

The nickle one is going to have to live in the sock drawer until it is time for packing a Sunday-go-to-meeting piece; it doesn't like drywall screws.... Don't worry about the lead bullets in the speed loader, the '36 has some nice JHP in the cylinder.

And, yes, I am also prepared to skin the victim out and hang him in the smokehouse. Nothing like burglar bacon and sausage. Of course you don't get good bacon out of the skinny ones and I don't eat it myself, but my guests love it. You are all invited over for breakfast! ;) DSCN7909.JPG

EclecticShooter likes this.