The Vietnam Wall

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Daoust_Nat, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

This is not new, as I have seen it before. It may have been posted before also, but it would be good for those who have not seen it. There are many on this forum who served, and many who were around at this time and have memories.

Thanks to all who served.

A little history most people will never know.

Interesting Veterans Statistics off the Vietnam Memorial Wall

There are 58,267 names now listed on that polished black wall, including those added in 2010.

The names are arranged in the order in which they were taken from us by date and within each date the names are alphabetized. It is hard to believe it is 36 years since the last casualties.

The first known casualty was Richard B. Fitzgibbon, of North Weymouth , Mass. Listed by the U.S. Department of Defense as having been killed on June 8, 1956. His name is listed on the Wall with that of his son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Richard B. Fitzgibbon III, who was killed on Sept. 7, 1965.

There are three sets of fathers and sons on the Wall.

39,996 on the Wall were just 22 or younger.

8,283 were just 19 years old.

The largest age group, 33,103 were 18 years old.
    12 soldiers on the Wall were 17 years old.

5 soldiers on the Wall were 16 years old.

One soldier, PFC Dan Bullock was 15 years old.

997 soldiers were killed on their first day in Vietnam ..

1,448 soldiers were killed on their last scheduled day in Vietnam.

31 sets of brothers are on the Wall.

Thirty one sets of parents lost two of their sons.

54 soldiers attended Thomas Edison High School in Philadelphia . I wonder why so many from one school.

8 Women are on the Wall. Nursing the wounded.

244 soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War; 153 of them are on the Wall.

Beallsville , Ohio with a population of 475 lost 6 of her sons.

West Virginia had the highest casualty rate per capita in the nation. There are 711 West Virginians on the Wall.

The Marines of Morenci - They led some of the scrappiest high school football and basketball teams that the little Arizona copper town of Morenci (pop. 5,058) had ever known and cheered. They enjoyed roaring beer busts. In quieter moments, they rode horses along the Coronado Trail, stalked deer in the Apache National Forest . And in the patriotic camaraderie typical of Morenci's mining families, the nine graduates of Morenci High enlisted as a group in the Marine Corps. Their service began on Independence Day, 1966. Only 3 returned home.

The Buddies of Midvale - LeRoy Tafoya, Jimmy Martinez, Tom Gonzales were all boyhood friends and lived on three consecutive streets in Midvale, Utah on Fifth, Sixth and Seventh avenues. They lived only a few yards apart. They played ball at the adjacent sandlot ball field. And they all went to Vietnam . In a span of 16 dark days in late 1967, all three would be killed. LeRoy was killed on Wednesday, Nov. 22, the fourth anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination. Jimmy died less than 24 hours later on Thanksgiving Day. Tom was shot dead assaulting the enemy on Dec. 7, Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

The most casualty deaths for a single day was on January 31, 1968 ~ 245 deaths.

The most casualty deaths for a single month was May 1968 - 2,415 casualties were incurred.

For most Americans who read this they will only see the numbers that the Vietnam War created. To those of us who survived the war, and to the families of those who did not, we see the faces, we feel the pain that these numbers created. We are, until we too pass away, haunted with these numbers, because they were our friends, fathers, husbands, wives, sons and daughters. There are no noble wars, just noble warriors.

2. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Thanks.
    I have seen the traveling wall twice.
    Overwhelming.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Thank you, Nat.

Last Feb. I accompanied my granddaughter's high school class on a field trip to DC, including the Wall and the WW 2 monument. Bitterly cold windy day. Their history teacher spoke with them about the war, and asked if I could talk with them a bit. They were quiet, respectful, well mannered and well spoken youngsters.

I asked them how old they were- 16? 17? OK, come over here. Want to introduce you to a friend- This is Dan. He and I served together. When he died, he was one year older than YOU. 2 years older than YOU. He liked music, nachos, beer and football. Had a girl- like you. So- what would you like to know?

We sat there across from the Wall and talked. Anyone that says you can't talk to kids today- WRONG.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I've been to the wall in DC. I cried the whole time I was there. And I found the name of the man who's aluminum bracelet I have. It was an overwhelming experience. And I only experienced the war on the nightly news..........every night. God bless all the Vietnam Vets. Those who are still with us and those that have passed. Either in the war or after coming home. You are all so very dear to me.

Several years ago a mini traveling Vietnam Wall came to a town about 8 miles from where I lived. I visited that, too.

http://thewall-usa.com/gallery.asp

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Pensacola has a "Wall South".
    It is basically a duplicate of the Vietnam Wall in Washington.

I have been to the place, but never looked at any names. Too many memories.

6. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I have been to the wall to. I have also been to the wall in Pensacola . My Uncle once told me that he had a couple of friends on that wall .

7. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Where you a war protester?

8. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

We had the Moving wall at our School downtown, our legion sponsored it. It was awesome and sad, spent some time there and brought m grandkids to see it. C3, that was an awesome way to introduce the wall to those young adults, I bet they will never forget Dan!

9. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I am from that time. I did not serve. I have no ACL in my right knee, which I never had repaired due to the way it was done, and I was not making a living playing any game. I tore it playing ice hockey. I failed a physical. Like many of that time I was against the war, partly because I don't think Congrass allowed the soldiers to win the war. Somewhat like I see in Iraq and Afghanistan. We fight with rules the enemy insists on, but then the enemy doesn't follow.

In that time I never protested the war, or felt that the protests helped the soldiers with the boots on the ground. I knew some people who have names on that wall. Not many, but a few too many.

Never understood the thought process of anyone who blamed the soldier. He was doing what he was told by higher ranked, and others not even ranked. I bought many a beer for a guy in uniform at that time in airports, bars and restaurants.

10. bargeahead

bargeahead New Member

My wife and I paid homage at the Traveling Wall when it was in Central IL a few years back. I cried too. I was in during that "era" but didn't make it there.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Why do you ask?

12. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I have been to DC twice, didn't get to see the wall either time:(

I am seriously planning a motorcycle ride specifically to the wall, I don't want to miss it a third time.

13. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

a co-worker lost his cousin in Laos or Cambodia, can't remember which for sure, in the mid 60's. His name is on the wall too.

The plane he was in was shot down & eventually found in the early 80's. The government showed the family pictures of the crash as it was when found & the jungle had completely overgrown it. All they found of him was part of his upper & lower jaw, a few miscellaneous bones, what was left of his clothes & his wallet with his ID & money in it, he was identified by his dental records & finally brought home nearly 20 years later.

I have never seen the wall in person, I don't have any family members on it, but I still find it the most stirring memorial to the fallen & missing there is. Props to the government for deciding to use that design

14. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Richard Miller PFC Marines. Killed March 11, 1968 Quang Tri Provence. He was a friend. I put his name here, because there aren't many left who would remember him.

15. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Sorry it was my cousin. He was reading some of the post and commented on a couple .

16. c3shooter

To all who remember those that have left us-

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them.

Each day, at 2000 hours, at the Menin Gate Memorial in Ypres, Belgium, the above portion of the Ode of Rembrance is recited during the Last Post ceremony. As it has been every day since 1928, except for the period of German occupation in WW 2.

17. c3shooter

For Richard Miller- and his brothers and sisters in arms-

Last Post, Benin Gate Memorial

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2McmMCFFyE[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013