The USMC's $22.5 Million Dollar Mistake

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Amsdorf, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Frankly, and I hate to put it this way, but I think this mistake is going to cost Marines their lives somewhere.

Here's my take on the USMC's recent pistol decision:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYiT7XLyVqY[/ame]

2. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I think the hat, gloves and ear protection was kinda funny.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

FNX? No thanks. They have a bit of a Fisher Price feel that I didn't care for. The tenous link to JMB seemed a bit much.
    Sounds to me like he's pissed they didn't come to him first.
    The final judges will be the Marines that end up using it. It's a bit early to call it a mistake.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'll tell you the exact same thing I tell everyone else, when they ask my "opinion as a Marine Vet", on the issues of gays and women... And this applies just as well to your opinion on the gun.

It's best for everyone to just shut their holes and leave the warfighting to the warfighters.

They've made their highly informed decision, which, I daresay, is more informed than yours, and I promise you it's not because it "looks cool". There are much cooler looking guns out there.

By the way, Marine Corps Force Recon never stopped using the 1911 to begin with. It's what they've always used, they've fielded and tested others, and it what they've always stuck with. And guess what? That's who's getting this new Colt.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. polyman69

polyman69 New Member

Just curious, who made this guy an authority on fighting side arms? What are his creditentials? Not saying he's right or wrong just wondering who he is.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Do the Marines actually have many pistol engagements? :confused:

7. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I'm honestly surprised with this decision myself. I would think reliabilty and durability come first. 1911 does not scream either IMHO.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Many? No. Still happens? Yes.

As I mentioned, Force Recon, who will be the first to get and field these new pistols, never stopped using theirs. Some of them date from well before WWII, which is the biggest reason they started the search for a new 1911 anyway. After some of their pistols being in service for 70+ years, they're just getting too worn out. I fail to see how a gun that can take up to 70 years of extreme punishment before it becomes unreliable is a bad thing.

9. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Touché.

When I think of reliabilty, Glock comes to mind. And I do not own a Glock. Just from what I have read and shot. I'm sure the USMC did their research and made the right choice.

The only thing I really question is capacity. 8 rounds? That is outdated for the theater of War.

10. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

The guy in that video has some kind of strange growth on his face around his chin and the corners of his mouth.

That hat and them glasses are creepy looking too.:eek:

11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I would say it would be very rare that the marines would use their handguns. The only thing that i can say they must know something that the armed forces in the rest of the world don't. As they are the only army that is going back to .45 and a smaller mag cap.

12. jackrich3

jackrich3 Well-Known Member Supporter

IMHO, this guy's a flaming idiot, with questionable creds.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

That would be the OP. Would you like to borrow my crowbar to remove your foot from your mouth? ;)

It's actually very rare. So rare, in fact, that the majority of those issued sidearms are those who are non combat personnel (they're allowed to have one for personal protection), and others who it would be impractical to make them carry a full sized rifle, such as tankers, air wingers, crewmen of other assorted vehicles, and such as them. They are issued the standard M9 Beretta.

Overall, as I've said and will keep saying, this pistol is intended for the special ops guys. This is not a production run pistol that some senator is lining his pockets by forcing the Marine Corps to choose. Well, I won't deny, I'm sure someone is making money off of it. But, someone would make a little off of each and every little thing the military does. That's why I get violently adamant that warfighting needs to be left to warfighters, not politicians or civilians.

The men who will be carrying it, are the ones who chose it. They've thrown in their lot with the sidearm they want to carry into battle. Again, it's not a production run pistol with fancy grips and finish. The armorers at Quantico who have been building, rebuilding, and completely overhauling Force Recon's aging fleet of 1911's, along with the operational personnel of FR, had MAJOR input in the features needed, internals, materials, and even what needs to be included in each service kit.

Short and Sweet: The men who will be carrying it, specifically chose it.

14. polyman69

polyman69 New Member

Then I say more power to them. They are the ones risking their lives, doing the fighting, killing and dying. If that's the gun they want, that SHOULD be the gun they get. Besides, who knows what they need better than them?

15. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The 1911 seemed to serve our troops well through WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and up into the 1980s. Some troops were still using them even after the M9 became the standard sidearm. Why wouldn't it serve them well now?

16. j4454

j4454 New Member

Who is this morbidly obese person claiming to be a gun fighting expert? There are a ton of great guns available today that are reliable. (not just glock smh) if the marines choose the 1911 maybe you should reconsider your half formed opinion and don't question the experts. YouTube is making everyone an "expert". I would love to know the round count on his fnx and how much he has put it through; I bet it is very little.

17. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Your soldiers are well looked after if they can choose what firearm they want.

Probaly a lot of people. What makes you think that soldiers some who have never being in combat and most have never used a handgun in combat. Would be the best qualified to decide what handgun is the best for the job.

18. polyman69

polyman69 New Member

If I'm not mistaken don't ALL soldiers have basic training? Besides, lets hear your overwhelming qualifications, you know the ones that make you a fighting sidearm expert. Since you know better than a combat marine.
    Just what the world needs, another arm chair expert.

19. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

People tend to use gloves, a hat and hearing protection on a cold day at the gun club.

:cool:

20. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I wanna know why he's lying about the reliability of the 1911. Mine is every bit as reiliable as any silly ugly *** glock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.