The Ultimate FTF Endorsement of "OUR" Weapon Lube of Choice

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by Dillinger, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Mobile 1

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Slip 2000

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Fluid Film :D

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. Aero Kroil

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Marvel Mystery Oil

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  6. Boeshield T-9

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. I'm going to sit this one out because I can't think for myself

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

FTF is a BIG Community. I personally believe that we are a better community than most.

Actually. When I have a question over what to buy. What to use or what someone thinks of a product. :confused:

I come here and I find I will take 2 S/M Negative Reviews over 100 positive reviews from people I don't know any day of the week.

As such, NOW is the time for us to test and endorse a product that we stand behind for lubing the internals of our weapons, like the "problematic" AR platform.

So.

I have to put it out there.

Here is a list of products that several people use in real life. What ones do you want to see tested??

Speak up, be part of the process, or just lurk in the shadows and ask yourself, when the darkness comes "What If????"

The proof will be in the pictures and in front of everyone.

What say you FTF???

JD

2. freefall

freefall New Member

Are you going to have a control of Rem Oil or Break Free or some such? Have you hit on the testing mechanisms yet and I missed it?

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I will be testing door hinges AND nuts/bolts.

The control will be no protection what-so-ever.

4. Car54

Car54 New Member

I think the Fluid Film is going to be a "gimmee". The rest will have to fight it out.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I've heard an awful lot about Fluid Film around here, but haven't been able to try it myself.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I would like to know more about the details of the test. I have no doubts that Fluid Film will win in corrosion resistance but I know how lanolin responds to heat and I haven't yet tested fluid film on warm metal or seen that test done.

I tell ya what. I'm planning to take my new Kimber out this weekeend and run the snot out of it. I'll take my inferred thermometer with me and get some temp readings of the barrel, slide, frame and some internals before, during and after. How many rapid fire rounds do you guys want before I take the final temp?

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That is a good point. Fluid Film is a recognized champion. I have modified the poll to reflect the number of positive responses based on FF's first "fight".

This poll will be for the top additional TWO.

JD

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Dano50 has made SEVERAL offers to send out a promotional trial to those S/M's that merely PM him.

Have you PM'd Dano?? :confused:

Would you like me to send you a can?

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would love to know that temp, to be honest. I don't have access to that type of gear, but here is what I was thinking for testing.

*subject to change when I receive additional input.

I am going to submerge a normal hinge and a couple of different types of nuts & bolts in the Home Depot buckets you have seen in the knife tests in high density saltwater.

Every couple of weeks, I plan on taking them out, testing them for function and then putting them to the torch. I have a standard "heat shrink" propane torch that will pretty much set anything on fire. Inspite of the saltwater, I will heat each unit to a preset temp that I can measure with a heat thermometer (I need input on this), then allow to cool and place back in high density saltwater.

I am thinking 190-200 degrees should be good, but your tests will tell us if I am close.

My goal is to find a product that will function for your AR under sustained fire and also if you get caught in the rain while fighting off the Space Zombies.

If it will function in your AR under those conditions, it should be a hands down, no brainer for your boltgun.

JD

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Can't believe I was the 1st one :p

Srsly though I am looking forward to this. I've just been using the lubricating oil that came with the cleaning kit so far. Though I haven't put any of my AR's through any serious range tests, a few hundred rounds at most per visit. But if one of these turns out to be ubersuperior than you all know me ..... I'm easily persuaded to buy stuff :D

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I already consider it a no brainer for my bolt guns...especially those I hunt with. It's got great corrosion protection and a hunting rifle goes from being inside at 65-70 to 20 degrees or lower several times in one day. It offers enough lube for the parts....it's perfect!

Semi autos....I haven't decided but I agree with your above statement.

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've used Mobil 1 for years and I've always been satisfied. This being said, I just picked up the new Wilson Ultima Lube II (totally different than I) in the Universal & Grease formulas - and I'm very impressed with the "slickness" properties thus far. The Kimber Ultra Carry (alloy frame) I got from silentghost has been shot a bunch but the frame rails show ZERO wear - a testament to this stuff indeed. I own a lot of alloy framed guns, mainly Sigs, and I switched over to the Wilson lube for now and I'm going to see how it fares against Mobil 1 in real life use. My P228 is nearly new with no marks at all on the frame rails and this will be my test subject.

BTW folks, Jack recommends this lube - that's endorsement enough for me...

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

i voted for mobil 1 since i use it for lubrication on the range not for storage/cleaning.

i use clp for post cleaning protectant but after seein the report on the knife blade test im switching to fluid film after my clp runs out.

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

No I haven't.

Yes I would!

16. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I found a product years ago that worked super for all my guns, Gozon; but it has disappeared from the market. I anxiously await the outcome of the testing!!

17. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Voted for Mobil 1 as a lube
    I've never tried it myself but Brian Enos's Slide-Glide Pistol & Firearm Lube (its a grease) has a huge following among pistol competition shooters.

*Have no idea on how it would perform, mentioned it just in case you were still looking for suggestions*

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

this is going to have to go to round two. :(

In the past 24 hours I have had requests to add four new products that haven't been mentioned previously.

I don't mind doing some tests, but I am not to have 27 test buckets of salt water in my garage for the next two months. We need to narrow this field down a control and no more than three or four other products.

I think Fluid Film has earned entrance, so that is two. That leaves two or three other products that meet the following criteria.

1. Can be purchased by any forum member as is. No custom blends, no NASA only stuff.

2. Provides protection in the interest of metal on metal against saltwater and heat.

Cool?

20. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sure, that's reasonable. A second test will work and then maybe have a runoff between the two winners. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.