The Tannenbaum - Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by lonyaeger, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Real

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Artificial

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  3. Tree? What tree?

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

She convinced me to go with a real tree this year.

With five cats in the house, including one kitten, the tree and the whole house was a mess the day after we put it up.

Usually we wait until New Year's Day to take the tree down, but I couldn't wait and took it to the dumpster this morning. Everyone knows that a cut, live tree isn't gonna live no matter much sugar water you give it.

Next week I'll buy a good fake tree at a huge discount and never again buy a real one.

Why type of tree did you have?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i prefer fake ones. my siamese climbs the real one every year and knocks it over. this year the wife and i didnt put one up. she had the tree spot covered in horse saddles and horse gear. next year it will be a fake.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Real! The decorating starts Thanksgiving weekend with the tree being last, usually around the 1st/2nd week of December. It all stays up until the weekend before the Superbowl. :D

4. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Artificial & pre-lit. no fuss, no mess, and a LOT easier on the nerves (and pocketbook).

5. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Believe it or not we had an upside down fake designer tree. Women. :eek:

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

We now have a standing rule in our house.

After two years where we got a living tree, against my wishes and with JD being the one to have to deal with the damn thing somewhere along the line in January, there are NO TREES allowed.

My woman LOVES to decorate. Then lacks any sense of responsibility in the whole "cleaning up after the holidays and putting stuff away" department.

No trees. No Lights. Unless there is a written contract stating who and when they will be removed. And not by me. :cool:

JD

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Empty nesters. Table top artificial tree w/ fiber optics lights. When we had kids/grandkids around the house, in Colorado had a living room with 2 story cathedral ceiling, we had a 15 ft live tree.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I got a fake. We always had a real tree when I was a kid because we would go cut our own.

If you re going fake don't bother looking at Wal-mart or Target. Don't skimp and get a good one.

Balsam Hills has some very nice trees. Even got flat back so that you can put them right against the wall and have more room for presents.

Prelit Christmas Trees - Pre Lit Artificial Christmas Tree - Balsam Hill

Tree Classics - The World's Finest Artificial Christmas Trees!

You could always do like my stepmom did. Take two tall tomato cages and wire them together (Make sure they are the green cages) then she wrapped them with green and silver garland and lights that my dad wired on with thin green floral wire.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=tomato+cage+christmas+tree[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  9. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

ours was reeeeeeeally fake.....but we decorated and lit it.....

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Isn't it illegal to smoke trees in your state?

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

I think it's okay to smoke fake trees in Missouri.

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I'm actually kind of surprised by the responses. I would have guessed initially that the folks here would favor the real deal over a fake by a huge margin. :eek:

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Wait until the first time you have a real tree infested with aphids.:eek: Finding bugs all over your house.
    [​IMG]

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Ours is fake. It's cheaper, easier, the dog doesn't get sick from the water.....I can't find a down side.

15. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Ours is fake but is hard to tell from real. It even has built in lights. I used to go up to the hills to a tree farm and cut a real tree when my kid was young but those times have past and the fake tree I have had for several years now is the ticket for us.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I'm infact trying to talk the wife into a second fake tree. Tango why do you want to fake trees.

Well Tango the one we have is colored lights and I have this thing about WHITE lights vs colored lights. I prefer white lights and my wife wants colored lights. So why not have one of each them then I we change them up.

17. WDB

WDB New Member

I like real trees but don't cut them down (anymore), I buy them potted so I can plant them. After Christmas I haul them out to the back deck and by spring have figured out where to plant them. I get one that is about six feet in the planter and they grow pretty fast each year adding seperation in a urban neighborhood. It cost a bit mort but blocking the view to my yard is worth the expense.

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

19. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Fake tree, its an el cheapo but it does the job.

Attached Files:

20. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

It's real, just about as big as can be in the new house - about 6' even. And Tango's right about the lights, white only. On occasion I will do 1 or 2 small shrubs/bushes outside in color but for the most part the lighting is all white. To me it just looks better especially at night or in/after a snowfall.

S5032502.jpg

1 thing I have been doing for a while now is trying to add 1 new ornament or a set of ornaments each year. Sometimes it's a set of decorated balls, sometimes it's a novelty ornament, but I try to get something unique each year. As it stands now I have a pretty decent collection. Though I doubt I will be able to fit anymore on the size of the tree I can fit in the new house. Guess I'll need to build a bigger house. ;)