The Survivor Fire Starter

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by dirk8504, Oct 3, 2013.

1. dirk8504

dirk8504 New Member

The Survivor Fire Starter is a great tool to keep in my hunting backpack just incase something would happen. The compass of it is kind of cheap feeling and tends to stick. Most people wouldnt be buying this for the compass feature though. The fire starter flint works great. Easy to shave off the magnesium and and flint shoots of great spark. Great addition to the hunting backpack. Have you guys used this tool yet? Would it be something you would like to carry around?
    Aaron

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I personally hate dealing with magnesium shavings. The one thing that is really good about it is magnesium Burns hotter when wet.

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  5. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I have three sets of Fire starter. I also collect lint from the clothes dryer and pack it in small air tight plastic bags, then push it all into a use plastic pill container you get with prescriptions. I alway have one with me in my fanny pack when hunting. I carry one set in my SUV they other on my boat. I practiced with mine, putting magnesium chips in the lint and presto you have a fire started.

6. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Have used cotton balls slaved in Vaseline. Works pretty good but those Swedish fire steels throw pretty hot sparks and usually will light even fairly wet starter stuff pretty good given enough strokes of the steel.

7. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I just watched that ad. They do work good but not quite as good as that cartoon add shows. They must be taking a little artistic liberty here.:D

9. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

I have a Bic lighter....

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Yeah, I keep two or three of those little suckers too. :D Never have enough ways to make fire.

11. Hugh303

Hugh303 New Member

Zippo for me.