The Survival Shotgun

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by JTJ, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Double20

Double20 Active Member

That is interesting that he gained 300 fps with 9.5" less barrel. I think there was something else going on there besides just the choke. He might have lost the same amount even if the choke was improved cylinder instead of full. As you said, the true test would be to chronograph with the same length barrel and different choke constrictions. When you change 2 variables (barrel length and choke constriction in this case) it's hard to determine which variable had the most impact or if it was a combination of the two. With one variable, the impact of that variable is more easily determined.

JTJ likes this.
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Shotguns and pistols use the same powder in some cases which is relatively fast burning. Depending on the load a long barrel may not give you a lot more velocity or may lose velocity in over length barrels. A 357 magnum gains 400 fps going from 4" to 18" but a 9mm only gains 150 fps going to 16" Actually maxes out in 8"-10" and starts losing velocity. A 22lr starts losing velocity after 18". I believe a 308 which uses a slower powder reaches max velocity in 28"-30". There is a lot going on and I am not an engineer.

3. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If this gun is intended for reality-based short term survival until rescue, then I'd choose a daily carry gun if I took any gun at all. Worrying about ammo weight seems rather silly since I'll probably only have what's in the gun.

A prototypical bush plane like a Super Cub or Maule or Beaver probably already has a couple of hunting rifles strapped to the wings, so if those are still usable after the crash and you or your hunting buddy don't have a broken arm as a result of the crash, then you're already set. If not, then whatever you normally carry is a reasonably good backup. A compact 9mm is still infinitely better than nothing.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I usually don't post on these "What If" survival type threads because everyone has a different opinion.
    In most cases, when it comes to a survival situation it's from a hiker, hunter getting lost or injured. I don't know too many hiker's that usually tote a shotgun with them on their hikes, nor too many hunter's (unless you hunt with a shotgun) that take one along with them while hunting game that's usually hunted with a rifle. I know that I usually carry a side arm if I'm hunting in an area that is in Grizzly country, but I don't carry a rifle and a shotgun when I hunt.

So, What / How is this so called Survival scenario occurring? If it's a SHTF scenario, I'll be setting here at the house where I have all my food / firearms / and supplies. There's no need for me to travel any where.
    If you're out hunting, you're only going to have whatever you pack with you, and most hunter's that I know don't pack a rifle, shotgun, a pistol, and a 22 rifle with them when they go out. So, Coming up with all these fairy tale scenario's is a waste of time.

When it comes to a shotgun for survival, I'll stick with a 870 pump action or my Mossberg 930, along with a 50 rd bandoleer belt full of 7 1/2 shot, 00 buck, and rifled slugs. The weight of the belt when worn over the shoulder isn't much to deal with.
    That way you have plenty of choices to either kill animals for food, or take care of any dangerous encounters.

JTJ and Rifling82 like this.
  5. JTJ

There are a lot of hikers that carry pack guns. Usually a 22lr folder or takedown. The Chiappa Little Badger is an example.

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. JTJ

I should add a lot of hikers are also carrying handguns for 2 legged predators.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If it gets to the point that my home is unsustainable, you all can look for my body in the house. If I am going to protect something, it will be my home, where all my guns, ammo and food is.

PeeJay1313 likes this.
  8. JTJ

Sometimes you have no control over a situation. Fire, earthquake, tornado or other act of nature can take you house away and they can happen anytime. As long as there is a house I will be in it.

PeeJay1313 and Rifling82 like this.
  9. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

And ill do my darnest to protect mine too.

JTJ and Rifling82 like this.
  10. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

The one time I carried a "survival shotgun"', I was on a week plus hike in the Alaskan bush. I carried a Savage 24, .22/20 ga. It kept four of us fed, not well but adequately, til we got back. With ramen noodles to round out the small game.

sheriffjohn, alsaqr and JTJ like this.
  11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Out in NW Alaska the elements might munch you before the critters do.
    And for preditors itd be bears looking to fatten up for winter.
    So if your traveling by boat to camp or headed upriver to find caribou youd tell family your plans and carry a vhf radio.
    Check out a spot teacker from Borough.
    Swamping a boat in high winds (not checking wx) youd better have a pfd.
    Wear clothing visible from air search and rescue.
    Cold and elements would get you before you starve.
    Giardia also called beaver fever is a problem here, even in the winter, one guy 'in town' got it when out in a blizzard and got his truck stuck, by the time he dug it out and back home he had gotten snow in his beard.
    The blowing snow carries Giardia on the wind.
    The local clinic says it can be spread by fox, they urinate and the scouring action of blowing snow scrubbs that urine loose and grinds it as it blows and mixes it, so rule #1 dont eat the snow or let it get in your mouth.
    So dont travel in bad weather without backup equipment.
    If your traveling by aircraft, stay with the wreck as its ELT broadcasts, thats the best way to be found (planes required to carry weeks worth rations in their emergency bag) even local air carriers carry a emergency bag.
    Snowmobiling in the winter.
    Your more apt to get lost, run outta gas, break down or go through the ice than die of a animal attack.
    If you broke down off trail youd have a time of it walking back to a winter trail.
    Youd need proper clothes, water and dome sort of shelter as a 12 mile hour wind at 19°F saps your energy.
    And if its sleeting before it turns cold thats a problem.
    And it can get really cold.
    Like as cold as -36°F at night in December, your better off packing a really good metior flare to get spotted as the air carriers are making their last scheduel run (6pm) of the day and you might get a pilot to spot you.
    Fact is your wet feet (blister up from trench foot) will give out before you starve to death.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/201...-year-on-a-spiritual-quest-he-never-came-out/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  12. SK2344

SK2344 Active Member

I have the NOMAD with the 18" barrel in 20 Gauge and I put a Fiber Optic red sight on the front. This works great for me and you must consider what you will be using this gun for, also what kind of ammo you will be using. IMO, rear sights are not needed on a shotgun!

13. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

A single shot shotgun excels over a 22 in almost everyway in the hands of someone who knows how to use one.
    At meat getting it will take birds, squirrels rabbits much easier and more reliably than a 22. Plus with slugs it will put down practically anything that walks in North America.

Why a survival shotgun is thought to have to be a single shot I have no idea.

JTJ likes this.
  14. JTJ

Probably simplicity and weight. I also have a double coach gun with improved and modified chokes. I think having 2 barrels would be far superior but it is definitely heavier.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  15. B9er

B9er Member

they are a joke. I'd rather have a take down pellet rifle and a slingbow, any day. Make all that noise and then have no abilit to defend yourself from the enemies that you've called in from every direction, for a mile radius? Thats dumb and fatally so. Short ranged, lacking in penetration, heavy bulky ammo and for what? Take a suppressed fighting rifle, and either a .22lr conversion unit for same, or a suppressed, accurate .22lr handgun for small game.

16. B9er

B9er Member

you have it backwards. A suppressed .22 autoloader beats a noisy shotgun, especially a single shot, if you have skill with the rifle. Animals stop running and birds land. You get to carry 12x as many 22 rds as 12 ga shells and the 22 can be rendered as quiet as a BB gun The shotgun is the choice of the inept.

17. JTJ

And you might try reading the whole post before you chime in with your BS. This is not a hostile forces situation. It is a broke down transport situation where you have to hike out of wilderness and there are possibilities of running into a 4 legged predator.

austin92 likes this.
  18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]
    Garcia Bronco. 22LR over .410. Weighs about 3 lbs.

sheriffjohn and JTJ like this.
  19. JTJ

I do have some nasty loads for 410. 4-000 and 4-.40" balls. Also have some 3-.375" loads. Some mild ones too for snake and small critters.
    The Brenneke slugs are the only ones worthwhile and they are not enough for a major predator.
    I did look at the Chiappa Double Badger.