The Survival Shotgun

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by JTJ, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Double20

Double20 Active Member

That is interesting that he gained 300 fps with 9.5" less barrel. I think there was something else going on there besides just the choke. He might have lost the same amount even if the choke was improved cylinder instead of full. As you said, the true test would be to chronograph with the same length barrel and different choke constrictions. When you change 2 variables (barrel length and choke constriction in this case) it's hard to determine which variable had the most impact or if it was a combination of the two. With one variable, the impact of that variable is more easily determined.

JTJ likes this.
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Shotguns and pistols use the same powder in some cases which is relatively fast burning. Depending on the load a long barrel may not give you a lot more velocity or may lose velocity in over length barrels. A 357 magnum gains 400 fps going from 4" to 18" but a 9mm only gains 150 fps going to 16" Actually maxes out in 8"-10" and starts losing velocity. A 22lr starts losing velocity after 18". I believe a 308 which uses a slower powder reaches max velocity in 28"-30". There is a lot going on and I am not an engineer.

3. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If this gun is intended for reality-based short term survival until rescue, then I'd choose a daily carry gun if I took any gun at all. Worrying about ammo weight seems rather silly since I'll probably only have what's in the gun.

A prototypical bush plane like a Super Cub or Maule or Beaver probably already has a couple of hunting rifles strapped to the wings, so if those are still usable after the crash and you or your hunting buddy don't have a broken arm as a result of the crash, then you're already set. If not, then whatever you normally carry is a reasonably good backup. A compact 9mm is still infinitely better than nothing.