The Survival Shotgun

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by JTJ, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

l've never had a 16 guage. l'm starting to think l should have posted this in the Random Thoughts Thread.

kfox75 likes this.
  2. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I have a mossberg 20 gauge pump with select choke. It's chambered for 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells. Had it since i was 12. Im better with it than any of my other shotguns. I would choose it if i had only one choice. My others are a remington 31 12 ga modified pump. Ithaca 16 gauge featherweight a stevens 320 and a 16 ga single shot. chambered in 2 1/2 inch. She's an oldle. 1918 vintage.

3. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

the thing about making plans is that you do not want to construct your plan around the "better than nothing" mindset. If I am going to assign a particular weapon for crisis mitigation, its not going to be some single shot. I am not a pilot and to that end, absolute weight and absolute size is not critical. If I want to assign a long gun toward a survival system, its probably going to be a lever gun.

If all you have is a single shot shotgun, well.. you already have your answer. You run what you brung.

Mongo likes this.
  4. RaySendero

RaySendero Active Member

Yep, Much wisdom here. If you have enough time to read and participate in this thread - You have the time to plan and prepare in the best way possible.

TelstaR likes this.
  5. Ozark Hillman

Ozark Hillman New Member

I think your location would dictate the best gun for the job. In my area the Missouri Ozark region I would be content with a decent 22 rimfire rifle of some sort. My choice would fall between my single shot marlin mainly because its short and lightweight, also the option of shooting shorts is something that I like. My other choice would be a Ruger 10/22. We have a few black bears and some wild hogs here locally but I would personally feel fine with a 22 rimfire.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A record grizzly bear a long while back was killed with a 22 long by an Indian woman who was running a trap line. She tried to hide but the bear caught her scent. She knew exactly where to place the shot and then followed up with more "to pay the insurance."

towboater and SRK97 like this.
  7. RaySendero

RaySendero Active Member

Yes, to location.
    But, the type of survival situation could also dictate that you would be best to go quite (i.e subsonic and silenced).

JTJ likes this.
  8. JTJ

A suppressor reduces sound level to around 85 db. Not exactly quiet but hearing safe. Still 85 db will not carry far. I have legal suppressors for 22 lr and 38 spl/9mm. 158 grain 38 spl at 1000 fps in a suppressed single shot rifle has some power. 200+ grain are available. So are 000 buckshot for subsonic ball loads. That would take small game with minimal damage. 158 grain 357 at 1800 fps will do pretty well on bigger critters but wont be quiet.

9. Ozark Hillman

Ozark Hillman New Member

I had a cousin named Emery that was a old man when I was a kid. I remember my dad telling that Emery would often take a 22 rifle and what he could pack in a coffee can that he also cooked in and would often spent 2 weeks to a month at a time in the woods. He dug roots and ate off what he killed and what plants he come across. He was a tough old bird.

JTJ likes this.
  10. JTJ

If you know what you are doing you can do more than just survive.

Ozark Hillman likes this.
  11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

The TOZ-106/MTs 20-04
    sounds like it would do the job.
    If only they sold this russian made 20gauge shotgun in the USA.
    download.jpeg-1.jpg
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOZ-106

I think with some work a guy could modify a old 1950's era boltaction shotgun could be modeled to resemble a TOZ-106.
    Trim back the barrel till its still leagle and have a box mag repeater, folding stock and a side mount ak-47 type scope mount, or better yet a scout scope?
    Or a reflex sight on a scout scope rail?

Another boltaction shotgun idea.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    JTJ likes this.
  12. JTJ

Most of the bush preppers are looking for simplicity and the ability to use sub caliber adapters. The bolt action would be rugged and easy to clean but would not take the adapters. (I would take a bolt rifle over a semi in a no support situation.) A 12 can fire any smaller gauge with the appropriate adapter along with many center and rim fire cartridges. The Doubles run a close second in popularity. I like the doubles even though they are heavier or maybe because they are heavier as the light 12's have a lot of recoil. I would choose a double 12 over a single 12 any day. There is a lot to say for a 2nd quick shot. I have a do all 12 gauge pump but it wont take adapters and now where as easy to clean. My single 20 is not bad as far as recoil and has screw in chokes. The single 410 is the one that gets the most play time.

13. JTJ

I have been looking at the the Chiappa Double Badger in 22/410. I would have to decide between 22lr or 22 mag. You can sleeve the 22 mag chamber and shoot 22lr or shorts. One drawback is the 410 is full choke (.395") and while you can use slugs you lose significant velocity going through the choke. Of course you could forget the slugs and carry a decent handgun or the 410 would take a 327 Federal adapter. Would also not be able to run my .40 ball loads. .375" 3 ball might work. I also have some light 45 Colt shot loads (1/3 oz #8) that would work on squirrel out to 20 yards.

14. JTJ

I got a good look at one of the Midland 12 gauge singles today$150 with a bag and it had a screw in choke. Nice gun and well worth the money but shooting a 12 gauge that light is asking for pain. It did have a decent looking recoil pad but it will still hurt. I think I will stick with 20 gauge and 410.