The Survival Shotgun

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by JTJ, Jun 22, 2019.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I took some shots with the H&R today. Stock felt a little short but would be right for sights. It is a Choate stock but not the thumb hole. Might have to make a spacer if I dont add sights. Modified choke installed. #8 had a really nice pattern at 10 yards. #3 buck did well too with a little under 8". I shot some slugs at 20 yards and they grouped nicely for offhand shooting still with the mod choke. Modified is a really good all around choke. I tried the 9mm 5" rifled adapter and got a 2" group at 20 yards with just the bead. Group was 2" low and 1" left. Might have been better with a rest. Needs sights to work with sub caliber adapters. Would not hurt with slugs either. I would have to get it drilled and tapped at $25 a hole. 3 holes for a rail and 2 holes for a peep. Clamp on front. I do not want a scope or dot. Too much crap and it would ruin the purpose of the gun.

towboater likes this.
  2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have always questioned the viability of drilling and tapping above the chamber area on single shot shotguns. There just is very little thickness there so you end up with only a couple of good threads to hold the base in many cases. Maybe yours being a 20 ga might have thicker chamber walls.

3. JTJ

I am not overly thrilled with drilling either. The peep sight would only require 2 holes and is not a lot of mass so very little stress. Thickness is .240". It could be done but very carefully and by a gunsmith. The peep is for an H&R rifle with the same diameter breach and I have a clamp on tritium front sight that is the proper height. The set is actually for my H&R 357 rifle. Barrels could possibly interchange but would require fitting. Right now the 357 is wearing a scope.

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  4. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Per your request. My opinion is........you have a lot of good ideas. Here are a few suggestions.
    It's a shotgun, peep sights are slow to acquire, open sights are much quicker and better when "bad breath" distances are involved. Buckshot is always a good idea at short range, in various ball sizes. Does your shotgun have a 3" chamber? So much the better.
    A side saddle ammunition carrier on the left side would be something I'd like to have, but choices vary. A sling and swivels might be another consideration, if we are thinking about brush carry.
    Your shot patterns will open faster and in shorter distances with "cylinder bore" (no choke), and slugs will also do better without any barrel constriction involved. Trigger work will improve any hernia providing trigger pull.
    It will be dubious concerning any sort of worthwhile accuracy involving a chamber reducing addition, such as a centerfire cartridge converter for a centerfire round, especially if it's a shorter adapter and doesn't provide a rifled, longer portion.
    If it we me, I'd stick with 20 gauge rounds in as many configurations as I could easily fit in a back pack, and it definately would have something on top to aim with.

JTJ likes this.
  5. JTJ

It is a 3" chamber. It does have sling studs. The fore end has storage. I have an elastic cover on the butt stock that takes 5 spare rounds. I cant see open sights worth a crap but do well with large apertures. An exception would be the African wide V sights. I do have a skeet choke and am looking at a cylinder choke. I thought a 6 shot 2" group at 20 yards off hand with the 5" adapter (same length barrel as a G17) was pretty good with just a bead. I did put on a fiber optic bead. I can see it without glasses. I was thinking of putting a small strip of white tape on the back of the receiver or the top of the breach for a reference and seeing how it works. Something to keep me consistent.

hiwall and SGWGunsmith like this.
  6. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

My cousin had a 22lr over a .410 and we killed a lot of rabbits, squirrels and quail in NC.
    I wish I could find another one and revert back to my childhood if just for a little while.:p
    As with any firearm there is that learning curve to get accurate.;)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    towboater and JTJ like this.
  7. JTJ

Jim, it is called the Savage 24. I had one in 22/20 gauge but the barrels shot to 2 different places. Probably one of the best survival guns out there. Savage has the model 42 now but it is not the same quality.
    I have a Stoeger 20 gauge coach gun that would work very well but it is not a beater that I would throw in the back of a 4x4.

8. SGWGunsmith

Reads to me like you're pretty much there. My thoughts about just sticking with using a variety of 20 gauge rounds involves changing over to the centerfire cartridge adapter.
    When do you do that, and how much time is involved? Might be quicker to just stick a slug or buckshot round in the chamber. Less stuff to carry.

JTJ likes this.
  9. JTJ

True it is less stuff but 9mm weighs a lot less than 20 and can be handy. Going by how well the 9mm insert did I am considering a 22lr adapter which would be more practical. 357 is also available. I keep 9mm ammo in the car to back up my carry and get home bag. I dont think I can do a 2" group at 20 yards with my carry. That is a rabbit head. Still playing with it. Need to see if rotating the insert changes the POI. By the way it has a very decent trigger. All 3 of my H&Rs have a decent trigger unlike the older ones.

primer1 likes this.
  10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

There are peep sights that attach to the side of the receiver that would work fine. You would need a ramp front sight to go with it. The ramp could be soldered on instead of using screws.

11. JTJ

I took the single out today and I put a single narrow white strip of tape in the middle of the receiver. With the tape for a reference point I was getting touching slugs in the center at 20 yards offhand. The 9mm adapter was doing well too but it would benefit from a finer sight for longer range but for now I could hit a rabbit in the head at 20 yards. I will replace the tape with some paint. I was shooting left without it.

12. JTJ

I managed to attach a clamp on rail with no mods to the H&R so I could see what it was capable of. I mounted a TRS25 to the rail and sighted it in @ 15 yards with the 5" 22lr adapter. I was hitting clay pigeon shards at 35 yards. Fed bulk was not very accurate. Winchester M22 40 grain was pretty decent and CCI SV was best. 147 grain 9mm was pretty close but a little left. Slugs were with the 9mm and worked well at 35 yards. I tried rotating the adapters and found a sweet spot.
    The Stoeger double did not like 2 adapters. Was not that happy with one. Too hard on the extractor so that is out. If I can figure out a permanent sight I will get the 357 adapter for the H&R. It is a fun toy but would be a good gun to hide in the wheel well.
    On the other hand my suppressed single shot rifle with 4x scope pretty much cleaned the berm of shards with no misses using CCI Clean subsonic.

13. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

l had a Savage 24 in 30 30 over 12 Guage. It had been a closet queen, looked near new. A guy offered way to much for it and l'm not a fan of the 30 30 round so l sold it. l'm thinking a 22 Magnum over 12 or 20 guage would be an ok survival gun or truck gun.

JTJ likes this.
  14. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

15. SGWGunsmith

YES! I know. :p

16. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Not a fan

17. JTJ

Chiappa has the Double Badger in 22 mag over 20. I had a Savage 24 in 22lr over 20 but there was no way to align the barrels with out cutting and welding and they were way off. I dont know if the Double Badger can be adjusted. The concept is great but if the barrels are not aligned it is useless.

Mongo and OLD Ron like this.
  18. KITANDTASK

KITANDTASK Member

i think a 12 guage single barrel with a cylinder bore for smooth bore slugging is going to be a good option for a shot to count and some versatility with loose shot like buck or bird.

i do not want to bother with interchangable chokes.

19. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

After reading this far, l bought an old Stevens 94 (@$67) to restore over February. Numrich has everything except 410 barrels in stock. It's 12 guage now. Thinking to fit a 16 guage barrel to it.

20. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Why 16 ga? Least availability of ammo of any shotgun ga I know of. Except maybe 10 ga.

kfox75 likes this.