The Survival Shotgun

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by JTJ, Jun 22, 2019.

1. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

If you have a Mossberg, there's an adapter for the magazine tube that'll allpi w them to cycle.

JTJ likes this.
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Opsol Mini Clip. I have one for my Mossberg 500. I have not tried it because the ammo is higher priced than it should be on the shelf and I dont want to order enough quantity to ship. The buckshot load is 7 #4 buck and 4 #1 buck in each shell. Not a bad home defense load and recoil is supposed to be close to 20 gauge.
    The Savage 24C 22lr/20 gauge would be the ideal survival gun if the barrels could be regulated.

EclecticShooter likes this.

3. Double20

Double20 Active Member

For the sake of more gun talk, I will describe what I think is the best "survival" shotgun. To me, a double barrel shotgun with 2 triggers in 20 gauge would fit the bill the best.

Why 20 gauge? Can carry more ammo for the same weight as 12 gauge and mostly just as effective.

Why double barrel? Because it is a simple design (read not as much to go wrong) when compared to a repeater and offers the ability to have 2 different loads at your immediate disposal unlike a single shot.

Why 2 triggers? Besides being the best setup for being able to immediately select which barrel you want to fire first, you will have 2 separate trigger groups, 2 separate hammers, 2 separate firing pins, 2 separate hammer springs, etc. In other words redundancy. It's like having 2 guns on one stock. If a firing pin breaks, you still have the other barrel. Same with hammer, hammer spring, etc. Odds of both barrels having something go wrong so that you can't fire either barrel is less than if you only have one firing pin, hammer, hammer spring, etc. like any gun that has a single trigger.

With your double barrel 2 trigger 20 gauge, you can load a heavy load in one barrel for either taking larger game or for self defense (buckshot or slug) and a lighter load in the other barrel for taking small game or birds (traditional birdshot loads of #4 shot through #7 1/2 shot depending on what you expect to encounter).

In a true survival situation, you will want to take whatever game presents an opportunity. If you are walking through brush and a rabbit jumps up, shoot it with the birdshot barrel. If a deer jumps up, use the buckshot or slug barrel. Or if you are looking for grouse in the thick cover and suddenly a bear charges you, use the slug or buckshot barrel first. If a grouse flushes, use the birdshot barrel.

I can't think of any other "survival" shotgun that combines the redundancy for added reliability with the versatility of being able to instantly shoot a different load/choke depending on what the situation calls for than a 2 trigger double barrel. That's my take any way.

4. JTJ

I have a Stoeger 20 gauge coach gun. Double triggers. Choked imp and mod. It is one of the reasons I have not bought a single shot. I am considering getting a 22lr adapter for it. The 9mm adapter worked pretty well. It did a lot better than the 22lr/20 Savage. 22lr is cheap so you could get a lot of practice. My barrels are very well regulated and I do have fiber optic sights that fit the rib. Not a gun I am keen about stashing in the back of a vehicle. It is not a beater. If I were hiking in Alaska again I would consider a coach gun instead of a pump. The 20 is with me when we go camping in bear country and I do have Brenneke slugs.

Sierra 173 and EclecticShooter like this.
  5. En Passant

En Passant Active Member

Interesting opinion, but I will haul my AA-12 and rule the forest! Though acquiring one legally, well that may be kind of hard to do. :(

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  6. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

When I went on a 10 day walkabout in the high brush I took a Savage 24 in .22/20 with a Super Blackhawk in a shoulder holster. The savage kept the 4 of us fed. Not stuffed, but not starving.
    I wish they made them in stainless.

Caveman Jim, SRK97 and JTJ like this.
  7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Looking for a boat/airplane etc gun, my choice would be one of the old 22WMF over 20ga.

For TEOTWAWKI, Benelli M-4!

Mongo and BVAL like this.
  8. youngridge

youngridge Well-Known Member

Thought I saw a single shot .410 barrel with a .22 mag barrel above it. Kind of like a double barrel. Thought that was neat. Ideally you should be able to shoot.45LC in it?

I would like a 12 gauge with .22 lr....don’t think they make them though

9. JTJ

You want to put a .452 bullet through a .410 bore? Not a good idea. Especially if it is choked and most 410's are choked full. Some idiots have done it but it is a good way to get killed or injured. The Judge is chambered for 45 Long Colt and has a long cylinder that take 410 shot shells. 410 shot shells have much thicker walls than the 45 Colt so their outside diameter is similar.

SGWGunsmith, kfox75 and youngridge like this.
  10. JTJ

There are used Savage Model 24 combos that come up used occasionally. I saw a 30-30/12 gauge once. A big headache with the combos is regulating the barrels so they shoot close to the same point at a reasonable distance.

alsaqr and youngridge like this.
  11. Sierra 173

Sierra 173 Active Member

The good old pump shotgun is what I'll always opt to carry. Gives you more than one or two rounds to use, especially if you have an extended tube. They're reliable and their technology has been around for over 100 years. Our military has used them in combat in both world wars, Korea and in Viet Nam. They're used for hunting all the time. So that makes the pump shotgun about the ideal survival shotgun based on its history of use by so many people down through the years.

Ghost1958, En Passant and JTJ like this.
  12. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

Here's Jesus' shotgun of choice. ;)

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Funny partis, I never really thought about the double caoch gun as a survival shotgun, but it makes sense.

I have actually used my Rossi Overland in such a manner as a "silent partner" for years on tows and hauling jobs, as it can be left broken over the trans hump, in certain states, unloaded, then shells inserted if needed, and brought into use. It also fits perfectly in a large ALICE , along with gear\clothing, to a point that it disappears.

More than once, i walked into a hote;l for the night, with it stowed, and no one was the wiser about it being there.

And yes, I do know about the incident that ended production of them in the late 80s, early 90s, which is also why modern ones are hammerless, or have cross bot safeties. (Rumor has it a guy slipped by his open tail gate, and the hammers caught the edge of it, folded, and fired off both shells, killing, or maiming, him, depending on who you ask.)

Add a couple sling swivels, and put the magnetic sights on it, and it could do well, within it's limitations. However, here's why a shotgun would, honestly, be my last choice. Weight. Not just in the gun, but also in the load out (nicely addressed by JTJ earlier BTW) in a EOTWAWKI or SHTF situation. Chances are, in such a situation, if possible, I would go with a semi in .225\5.56 (Common military round, something like a Mini 14), and a .357 revolver, using a mix of 158 grain rounds, and some CCI Big 4 shot shells.

For just getting out alive, I'll use whatever I have on me, and I'd be pretty damn glad to have it. Yes, in a "One or none" situation, that shogun would be a decent choice, but, what are you leaving on the side of the trail\stashing away, to make room for those rounds, even at less than 50 rounds? Will it be water, shelter, or fire starting? Maybe even food? Additional layers? Dry socks?

Where you live, threats you may encounter, game in the area, all have to be taken into account, as does the distance you are likely to encounter it at. that .22 over 12 might seem nice, and a perfect idea, until you find yourself somewhere that all you can find for food is pronghorn, groundhogs, or mule deer. At the same time, if you are surrounded by rabbits and white tailed deer, that 12 gauge will reach them with no issues.

I wonder if it's time to bump that "Two guns" thread I started last year yet?

EclecticShooter and JTJ like this.
  14. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

There is a saying, supposedly originating with the westward migration/wagon trains, that a man with a shotgun will not go hungry. I do believe that is as true today as it was then.

I do enjoy woodscraft. I enjoy stepping off with what I have on me and living in the woods. Used to be that I would go out for weeks, trapping during the winter when I was young. Now-a-days it’s more like leave out on a Friday and come back on a Sunday.

I have used various firearms, built a lightweight AR, used a double coach gun. But my favorite has always been a short single shot. My top three, the ones I reach for the most, are;
    #3 - AAC Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout
    #2 - H&R Survivor in 410/45 Colt
    #1 - H&R 176 12 Gauge

I long ago had the 36” barrel of the 176 cut back to a more manageable 24" . #4 shot is my favorite and I carry a few slugs and buckshot. #4 buck being my favorite. Seems I have a thing about the #4! My normal load out would be the H&R 176, the H&R 649, usually with the 22 Long Rifle cylinder, just never saw much need for the 22 magnum in a pistol, and the short Ka-Bar. The only thing that would change today would be that the 649 has been replaced with the Ruger Single Six convertible.

It was not a true survival situation. If I got hungry I could always just walk out. Thing is, I never had to. As to carrying shotshells? I just use my black powder possibles bag.

3E9F31A1-9F3C-427A-BFD0-B622F0343E9D.jpeg 2F87A232-4914-46A4-B6C0-E0D7B37709C1.jpeg 0A6B0EE1-8013-45CD-807A-1B176582D521.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  15. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

survival shotgun??????
    :D

[​IMG]

:D

Caveman Jim likes this.
  16. JTJ

Ran into a H&R 20 gauge today. $150. Plastic stock. The barrel has been cut to 18.5" and fitted with a screw in rem choke. That was not cheap. Looked like it had very few rounds through it. Still had some factory grease on the hinge pin. The choke was full so now I need to find an improved cylinder and a modified. I was thinking under the rear seat of the Tracker or the spare tire well of the car.

17. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

Sounds perfect for a survival shotgun. Good deal too.

JTJ likes this.
  18. JTJ

I was looking at choke tubes on line and one that came with it was over $50. I found a couple on Ebay for $10 each shipped.

19. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Actually Ive seen something like this on a back farm road.
    I was headed over to my folks place, there was a car ahead of me, at the turn east a couple pheasant glide over the road north to south.
    A brunette bouffant woman in cat eyeglasses in a green n yellow polyester pant suit and what looked like a 12ga High Standard Sport King stops and exiting her Buick and climbing up through a ditch after them pheasant.
    I slowed down and was watching her in my rearview as she was trying to cross the barbed 3 wire fence.
    And it was well after 1983!

Thats some survival right there!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019