The Survival Shotgun

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by JTJ, Jun 22, 2019.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There has been a lot of noise about "The Survival Shotgun" on Utube. They are cheap single shot shotguns. My take is it would make a good gun for a bush pilot. A single shot shotgun with a 22lr adapter, 100 rounds of 22lr, 20 shot shells and 5 or 10 slugs would make sense for accidentally getting stranded in the wilderness but for the end of civilization is questionable even with a bunch of adapters. Maybe it would be useful as an auxiliary weapon if scrounging was a way of life and you did not know what you might find. if Any opinions out there? Trying to get more gun talk going.

EclecticShooter and towboater like this.
  2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I would rather have something like this, and not mess with an adapter.
    Like an an old Savage model 24 in 22 over 20
    7-g500188.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Caveman Jim, BVAL, AZdave and 5 others like this.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I guess for people that have a single barrel, an adapter could be the way to go.

Ghost1958 and Caveman Jim like this.
  4. JTJ

I had a Savage 24C in 22lr/20 and I could not get the barrels to shoot together. No adjustment without cutting metal and welding. The front band needs to be adjustable.
    I have a 9mm adapter for my SS20 I picked up cheap to play with. It actually works but you need sights for accuracy. I have sights that attach to the rib but I dont like them. Just dont feel right on a SS shotgun. I could get another 9mm adapter and have a double rifle. Or maybe a pair of 45 Colt adapters.
    To make the single shot work with adapters you really need sights. I guess something could be epoxied but I dont really trust that. If a rail could be attached to the breach end there are sights that are designed for plain barrel shotguns.

5. JTJ

The Walmart Hatfield shotgun ($100) had a vent rib so it was fairly easy to attach sights but the barrel was long. Most people shortened them and their trigger was terrible.
    I saw an ATI Nomad single the other day. No rib and it was $90 new. 12, 20 and 410. The 12 has to hurt. I looked at the 20. Folded up nicely. The trigger did not feel bad. Made in Turkey.
    The Midland has a screw in choke and supposed to have interchangeable rifle barrels coming out.

EclecticShooter and towboater like this.
  6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

In my opinion, "The Survival Shotgun" would be the worst possible choice. The ammo is just way too bulky and heavy. And shotguns are designed for shooting flying birds and they are good for that purpose. Anything else you try to make a shotgun do is second-rate at best.

A lightweight 22 rifle is the best meat getter, with a light gun, light ammo, and the least bulky ammo.

7. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the situation one is trying to survive. Maybe one of those foldable single shots would be okay for wilderness survival, but ammo is very bulky like hiwall said.
    If you're in more of a homesteading way, a single shot shotgun can be quite handy partly due to their simplicity. However I wouldn't want one of the small foldable ones for that. Their short cylinder bore barrel with birdshot only gives you a very short range. Also a lot of these new folding shotguns cock automaticly when you open them, leaving the firing pin spring under tension. I'd rather have the classic hammered style so there's no tension on the firing pin spring constantly.
    Those adapters are neat but I'm not sure how useful they are, especially with the really short adapters.
    In summation I'd rather have an old H&R, Iver Johnson, Winchester 37, or any of the well made old hammered single shots with about a 26" barrel. If I was surviving on the move, I'd rather have an ultra-reliable repeating .22 lr of some kind.

Ghost1958 and SRK97 like this.
  8. JTJ

I have to agree the 22lr rifle would be a better meat getter but a 12 or 20 gauge slug works better on a predator. I suggested a survival load out in the first post that would be usable and packable. I think the gun would need basic sights because you would be aiming it more than pointing it. The Nomad had a hammer which I liked. It keeps the gun simpler and not under tension. But no easy way to mount a rear sight. How hard would it be to attach a rail. Could it be soldered, epoxied or would it have to be drilled and tapped. Epoxied would be simplest but would it hold up under recoil?

9. EclecticShooter

I'm not sure how you'd attach a rear sight properly. Hopefully one of our smiths will drop by the thread.
    The problem with those adapters from what I've seen is the small packable ones won't give that great of accuracy. If shooting slugs, a bead can work pretty good at the closer distances you'd use Foster slugs at.

10. JTJ

I have a 5" rifled 9mm/20 gauge adapter. I picked it up for $30 or I would not have it. I put sights on the rib of the Stoeger SXS20 Coach Gun to try it out. It actually worked pretty well but I did not like the sights. Just did not feel right. I tried it in both barrels and it would work as a double rifle if you had a matched pair of adapters. I dont see a lot of use for a 9mm double rifle. You have a lot more choice in 12 gauge. At 25 yards mine will shoot slugs pretty close together using the bead. I had a Chinese 410 SXS that was cross eyed. Got rid of it fast.

Gol and EclecticShooter like this.
  11. EclecticShooter

Yeah, my experience with Chinese firearms hasn't been that great.
    I'm not sure what kind of predators you have in your area but buckshot should work for defense against them. Then you wouldn't need a rear sight.

12. JTJ

Predator loads was referring to use in a bush situation where you might run into bears or wolves. A 357 will handle 99% of what we have here. I have seen a mountain lion and coyotes seem to be getting more aggressive. They are not afraid of people. There is the remote possibility of running into a Mohave Green rattlesnake which are aggressive. I leave the regular rattlers alone. I have seen a very mad jackass provoked by a hikers dog. Dog cowered behind his owner and if she were alone she might have gotten stomped. Safety in numbers. Dog stayed close after that.

EclecticShooter likes this.
  13. JTJ

When I was in Alaska 60 years ago I carried a 12 gauge pump loaded with Brenneke slugs for bear. One school of thought was 1st round high base #6 shot. Much wider shot dispersion with more possibility of connecting with the head to blind the bear and bloody its nose. Theory was a blind bear with a bloody nose could not easily find you and you could finish it off with a slug. I might consider that with a single shot. Miss and you are bear meat.

14. EclecticShooter

I see, you have the same dangers we have here. I feel good with my .357, like you mentioned. I could see stowing one of those folding shotguns in a survival pack or cache of some kind. If I was bugging out or headed into the woods intentionally, I'd carry a longer barrelled gun or better yet a double or repeater.

15. JTJ

If I am ever in a situation where my home becomes unsustainable a suppressed 22lr will be with me. Shotgun ammo is too heavy to carry more than what is needed for a survival situation like a motorized breakdown in a wilderness setting. A 1 shot shotgun would be good for that type of situation. Might even work for a wilderness hiker as long as you keep the ammo load down.

Chainfire and EclecticShooter like this.
  16. EclecticShooter

Exactly. Stowing it in your vehicle, atv, boat, cabin, camper, bush plane or something like that would be a good place for it.

JTJ likes this.
  17. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

The "mini-shotshells" save space and work pretty good.

En Passant, JTJ and EclecticShooter like this.
  18. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

They tend to having feeding issues in repeaters.

locutus likes this.
  19. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

if my life depended on the quality of those cheaps guns, I'd die.
    id rather just pick up a nice rifle or shotgun from some abandoned farm and use it till the ammo ran out and then go find another one.
    afterall, based on most preppers scenerios, 90% of the population will be dead anyway, so there should be plenty of guns laying around.

20. JTJ

I dont believe it is the right gun for a prepper shtf scenario. I think it is gun for the ATV, Jeep or plane where you might get stranded. Being able to use 17 types of ammo seems pretty useless to me. Just cuts down on the ammo you could carry. I would probably choose a 20 gauge and a 22lr adapter.

EclecticShooter likes this.