the survival kit finally starts coming together...

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by roosterjuicer, Oct 14, 2009.

1. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

I have finally started putting together a SHTF kit under the guise of a "disaster preparedness kit" for wife purposes. here's what I got today...

1) coleman propane skillet
    2) 6 small coleman propane bottles
    3) a sleeping bag for wifey thats rated at 15 below (i already have one)
    4) a water purification pump
    5) a water purification iodine set
    6) fire starting equipment ranging from waterproof matches to one of those things you rub your knife against to make sparks
    7) water bottles w/ first aid/survival kits in them including emergency blankets, multi tools, a small saw, utensils, flashlights with batteries
    8)emergency candles
    9)some self heading meals

keep in mind this is a work in progress and it is just the first step.

my next question is what else do I absolutely need besides a radio?

2. bkt

bkt New Member

If you're going to use your bug out bag, it's prudent to have a bug-out location in mind. Figure out where you can go to get away from it all when everything goes to s***.

Search the forum for contents of bug-out bags...this has been gone over a few times and many folks have lots of good ideas.

3. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

Already got my bugout location (its about 1.5 hrs away by car).

i was thinking about keeping most of my stuff in a large rubbermaid container thats ready to throw in the truck at a moments notice as far as a BOB goes. Although that wont do me much good if im walking.

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

A compass, map of your bugout area, solid fuel cubes.

Solid fuel cubes help alot when lighting a fire with your spark making thing in damp conditions.

5. Angrypoonani

Angrypoonani New Member

Batteries may not be so easy to find... Grab a few of those hand crank lights and a hand crank radio. During and after hurricane Ike (4 weeks without power) batteries ran out faster than I thought they would. Also since oil lamps tend to be medium size, grab a big spoon or small concave mirror to make your candles more effective. Also a small rollable sleeping mat and a medium sized tarp can both help a lot and both take up minimal space and are rather light weight

And I think that thing you scrape a knife (or any metallic object) over to make a spark is called 'flint' if I'm not mistaken.

6. bkt

bkt New Member

Good. Then store what you need to survive at your BoL and keep in your car those things you might need to help you get there.

Don't agonize over whether or not you should pack razor blades and nail clippers. Have all that crap where you'll end up ahead of time. You should have in your car maybe ten gallons of gasoline, a detailed map that could help you get to your BoL if the main roads are impassable, a flashlight, a lighter, a firearm, water, and some warm clothes.

7. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Not necessary for the basic BOB but nice to add at a later time.

Check this out: Brunton Solaris™ 26

I picked this up some time ago at a RV/Boat/Camping show. Didn't pay the price they have on their site (show special was less) and their are other brands considerably less expensive that also work well.

Will charge laptop, cell phone, gps device, radio, I-pod, etc...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  8. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

THERE WE GO!!! haha

i forgot to mention that the waterbottle/first aid kit's all have compasses in them.

whats the deal with these fuel cubes, im interested.

does anyone recommend any crank radio's/flash lights that are reasonably priced...unlike the 600$ solar panel kit which is sweet but waaay too expensive.

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

The fuel cubes usually come 12 in a pack and the small ones will burn for approximately 12 to 15 minutes per cube. I have lit fires in damp conditions with these by slicing a small piece or two of a individual cube into my nest of fire starting material. Helps get a good start with damp material. Not so necessary if fire starting material is dry.

I got the pack I have at a REI store. The pack I have has a web site. AGS Brands - Superior products for active lifestyles

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Picked up "squeeze" type flashlights at K Mart on clearance for 99 cents. Keep a couple in glove boxes.

Good start for your BOB. Add a couple of disposable space blankets, a roll of 550 cord (parachute cord for all you civilians out there). A pack frame is good- but if money is real tight, hit Wally World for a couple of soft backpacks.

I keep military trioxane ration heating tabs- but I got a REALLY good deal on a case of them. Failing that, did you realize that hand sanitizer (store brand of Purell) is basically napalm?- just based on alcohol insead of gasoline.

Bandaids and stuff for blisters would be good, especially if you do not hike a lot. And a spare pair of cotton athletic sox is very versatile- besides sox, can be used to signal, as gloves, as a bandage, as an emergency sanitary napkin, as a hanky, etc. Put anything that cannot get wet into ziplock bags. They make big ones, ya know.

Throw in a couple of rolls of lifesavers- for morale and quick energy.

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Probably have something for this in your first aid kit but I keep a couple of small bottles of Deet insect repellant. Stuff works good for me. Also in my first aid kit I add a tube of Neosproin, Campho-phenique, Visine, Imodium A-D, and extra asprin.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  12. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

Add a few items to add flavor to canned meat or killed wild game. Salt and pepper are essentials, but your favorite seasonings can make a major difference in making you feel human if you're out for long.

13. jcooper

jcooper New Member

A buddy of mine was a big fan of the shake lights. He loved them. didnt fare to well though on the back of a four wheeler all sumer though. I agree batteries will nt last long. even with LEDs you will eventually need to come up with a more reliable light source. Oil lamps can be fueled endlessly by hunting.

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I didn't see a good knife on your list. I keep a change of clothes in there as well. Most everything else has been covered so far.

You don't want to be weighed down. If you're bugging out you'll probably have to move quickly. So keep it as light as you can and yet be reasonably prepared.

You can't pack for every contingency, so just do the best you can. Remember, your mind is your most potent resource.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  15. Southeast of Disorder

Southeast of Disorder New Member

I didn't see anything on your list to boil water or cook with; such as a set of camping cookware. I also keep a couple pouches of instant soup mix in mine. Hot soup on a cold day will go a long way to make you feel human again.

16. opaww

opaww New Member

It's good seeing you preparing for emergencies in case the hordes of zombies invade America. (I now refer to everything as a zombie invasion for security reasons).

But maybe a few hints here, read some of the other stuff under this section, there are a wide verity of helpful stuff all in here.

Prepare for the event that you cannot take your car with you, because the zombies had advance orders before anyone knew and were able to block all roads everywhere.

Know alternate routes by road and cross-country, both on foot and in your car.

Practious using your equipment until you are knowledge of its workings and are confident you can use it under duress. It’s a ***** to get out in the middle of nowhere and finding out you cannot use the fire starter kit worth a dam.

17. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Krazy Glue. You can fix anything from a torn shirt to a gaping gash in your leg with it. That and a couple hundred feet of braided fishing line. For your head, read the entire "Foxfire Books" series.

18. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

The first thing on the list was a Coleman Propane skillet.

19. Wolf1066

Wolf1066 New Member

The survival pack I always carry when camping contains some strips of rubber. The stuff I have is about a millimetre thick by six mil' wide and about 10cms long, but strips of old inner tube would suffice.

You take an "unscheduled dip" in a mountain stream, open your pack and find all your firelighting kit wet - except your trusty Bic or box of waterproof matches. There's no dry tinder about and you need a fire going before hypothermia sets in.

You wipe the water off a rubber strip (non-porous, unlike a lot of fire-lighter or solid fuel bricks I've seen), light it with the Bic or match and start piling tinder and thin twigs over it. It burns for ages and is great for starting fires even with damp tinder.

It's the only fire-lighting aid I carry, now.

Years ago, we had to abandon camp in the middle of the night. By the time we struck tents and repacked, the battery torches (flashlights) were already getting feeble - the "joys" of old-school incandescent bulbs that use up 80% of your batteries making invisible heat!

We walked three hours down a winding mountain track through dense temperate forest that blocked out any light from moon or stars - guided by the one torch that did not rely on batteries - a cheap dynamo torch that worked by repeatedly gripping and releasing a lever on the side.

It had no rechargeable batteries like the crank models, you just kept pumping the lever.

By the time we got halfway down the battery torches had gone completely flat.

I have since replaced it with one that has three LEDs as they are more robust and longer, but it's the same principle.

Sure, it's a bit of a nuisance constantly having to work the lever to keep the dynamo spinning, but all batteries have lifespans so I prefer to have something that will not someday cut out on me because the batteries have passed their prime.

That's now part of my emergency kit.

These days I also have battery-powered LED torches, headlamps etc that would have lasted the three-hour walk out of the woods because they are just so much more efficient than the old ones.

20. cobra22

cobra22 New Member

What exactly does **** hit the fan mean and why do people think it just means have a few supplies and everything will be OK. Is it an end of the world scenario?