The Stupidity of Buy America.....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by LikeABoss, May 27, 2012.

1. 94browninghunt

94browninghunt New Member

I didn't read the whole article but... If more people buy American=more goods made in America are bought=more demand for American products= more job creation to supply for the huge demand? so...if more people buy american = more jobs created? Think about it...if every single person in the US bought only US made products even just for a month...that would create ton of jobs!

Also if i spend on American goods im giving back to American companies.

But also, as of now, lots of International based companies are in America which also help American economy. So if we bought just American company goods, that might hurt us as well, and sometimes we might not get the best products. Can be argued both ways?

Those are just my thoughts, feel free to make me smarter :)

2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

You clearly did not read the article because it explains why those are not valid arguments and in fact buying American could have the opposite effect you claim, but you are right it can be argued both ways. Buying something made in China means I'm helping to employ people who ship goods across the country for example.

I'm not saying I believe the article 100% but I do believe that buying cheapest is the best way. If something is the same price and made in America, I will choose that option but usually if there is a price difference I buy cheapest.

I disagree with the sweatshop comments in the article. While those people "might" be better off working in a sweatshop instead of not having a job that is not always the only alternative. Take Apple computers for example, it was recently discovered that Iphones were produced in "sweatshops", if Andriod phones are produced in factories paying their workers better wages then by making the choice to by an Android phone (same cost to me) I'm encouraging the Android plant to increase in size and discouraging Apple from doing the same. I think the best example of my thinking would be with blood diamonds, should we encourage the murder and inhumane treatment of people in order to get diamonds at a lower cost or should?

3. wrivera1979

wrivera1979 New Member

It would be great if it worked that way but our "made in U.S.A" where actually printed in another country. Hell, when everyone got American flags on there cars after 9/11. Did you notice how many American flags on non-American cars. I drive a Ford ranger, I shot a Springfield armory gun and I realized that my fords parts are imported (go to a Ford dealership and look at the transit, its swedish) and Springfield armory bought the design off Croatian company.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  4. tri70

tri70 New Member

I believe if we bought more American products we would have more jobs here. Politicians are paid off to move US contracts to foreign countries, done illegally, they break laws that are in the books or find a way around them. BO is trying to make hydro fractions illegal to keep us from drilling our own oil. The fed gov is trying to discourage US production!

5. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

You really can't say more jobs!! Look at alot of companies that have factories in the USA that aren't American companies!! Nissan and Toyota both have factories here giving Americans jobs!!

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

All a company has to do to be able to say "Made In Amrica" is to assemble it here. Some products with foreign names are assembled here & with more american made components than their american named counterparts.

I will buy Wrangler jeans, assembled in Mexico with American made materials, before I'll buy levis or dockers who use profits to support anti-gun lobbyists.

7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Seriously?

So all the shoppers buying lower priced goods at Walmart have no impact, it's only the politicians?

I work in an international environment. There are no politicians telling us what to do. I watch my employer put up multi million dollar plants in China in 1/4 the time it takes to do it in the US. I was on my local city's planning commission and I was appalled at how many hoops a company has to go through. I watched the board put a investor through HELL for over a year. He finally got pissed off and pulled out of the project. It was a simple condo development on a less then desirable piece of property. Great addition to the city...

WRT oil, fracturing has some pretty serious unresolved environmental issues. It requires a substantial amount of water and other chemicals. Theory is, these chemicals stay below the water tables... but several water tables have been "infected" with chemicals.

8. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

9. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I just bought a nice cast iron skillet. Made in the U.S.A.

10. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Make sure you season that skillet properly!

11. partdeux

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

13. partdeux

Windy, learn the percentage of domestic content for some traditional autos compared to your Honda. Few will be able to argue how flawed the domestic content values are tho ;)

My fav, the Chrysler is American made crowd!

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

My new dodge challenger was built by fiat, in Canada, with Mexican made parts. Are chryslers different?

15. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

Winds, I got bashed on here once because I work for a Toyota plant here in Tennessee. We take American steel, stamp it and weld it then send it to mainly other American plants to make seats that are then sent to other American companies where there are put in "foreign" made cars. Some people just can't grasp that concept.

16. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

18. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

My cousin works at the Toyota plant in Kentucky! That's the problem people keep saying buy American! I don't think there is truly an American company anymore. I worked for Nissan for 12 1/2 years. They have 3 plants in the USA. Most of there cars are built here. People just don't understand and think "Oh Nissan is Japanese", but like I said most cars are built here.:)

19. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I work in a stamping plant making auto parts. A lot of coworkers threw a fit when we started making Toyota and Nissan parts. My thought is its better than getting laid off. Foreign companies building products domestically employs workers, and often pays them well. What I don't like is the profits go out of the country to the companies home country.

What I don't like is domestic auto corporations importing their vehicles. This is misleading because many people see Ford and think its American made. The fiesta is an import. I've seen many people not realize that are driving an import until I mention it to them. I think the idea is to confuse the public to the point they don't care anymore, which is working. This goes to many more issues than just buying things such as peoples rights.

If people are working and have money to spend the economy will grow. That's why I buy American made.