The stupid things I have done with firearms !

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Mar 31, 2016.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Right after I bought my big bore Marlin , 1895 45/70 lever , I got this brilliant idea . I did enjoy pulling the trigger , down right made me smile . ;)

Anyone who has shot this caliber knows it does pack a little punch but it can also be a little heavy after shooting a while . After several targetings
    with it I came up with ....(Bi-pod ) ! I just happened to have a pretty good expensive bi-pod with no home , no gun to put it on yet ! Well , seemed to me to be a good idea to put it on the Marlin .

You have a barrel swivel and a butt end swivel for your sling ? Seemed like the perfect marriage , I could still have my sling swivel and the bi-pod all in one , right ? :) I did mount it on the front swivel area with what looked to be a pretty stought screw . I had shot it several times with no issues . Maybe one to many times .

As I'm sure you know , shooting many rounds builds quite a bit of barrel heat !
    So I'm shooting away , my pick-up is parked which seemed more than safe from my target , even on a bad day , I'm not gonna miss by that much !

I shoot a few more rounds and decide to lever it and let it cool down while shooting my pistol . One round in the chamber , I reach over and grab like a Firing position , finger on the trigger and that screw broke , the one screw that seemed to work broke , sheered right off ! Super hot barrel , finger on the trigger , the gun fell , fired , shot my back tire of my truck and I still have the burn scar on my right thigh to prove it .

I was very lucky I was alone and it hit low on the tire so not to much damage !
    My rifle , my truck and my thigh all have some character marks from that day !
    Not so great an idea ! :eek:

2. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I have done some stupid stuff myself.

But I won't TALK about them!!!

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I`m NOT telling !..................

4. dango

Again , this isn't going quite as I planned .......:confused: :D

5. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Someone I know got up early, put corn flakes in a bowl, sugar, and milk...buttermilk. Tried a spoon full twice and something not right here spoiled milk?
    Emptied the bowl in the garbage and got fresh corn flakes, sugar and milk...buttermilk. Took a bite and dang it wrong bottle again.
    Empitied it in the garbage and put in more corn flakes, sugar and milk....buttermilk. Tasted it and could have cursed a blue streak, if I cursed.
    Fourth attempt, corn flakes in bowl, sugar, milk....buttermilk.
    Something is not right here. I ate it. Seemed destined to be.

6. dango

I see what you did there .......:)

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I knew a gent who was a door gunner on a UH-1 Huey. Going in to a hot LZ, they drew fire from the treeline, and he opened up with his M-60.

OMIGOD! They must have hit the pilot! He is jerking and twisting and thrashing OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD WE'REALLGOINGTODIERIGHTHEREANDNOW!!

By the way- the M-60 is a belt fed 7.62 NATO machinegun. And when you are holding down the trigger, it fires about 550 rounds a minute. And ejects the very HOT casings with some force. Enough force to throw them all the way across the back of the pilot's seat.

Ever see the antics of someone with a piece of HOT brass that went down the neck of their flight suit? Then imagine the actions of someone with 8 or 9 pieces of hot brass down the neck of their flight suit.

8. dango

Never shot out of a Huey but have played with the M-60 . A two man gun on the ground ! Hot brass , I've seen it from everything that auto ejects ! And they say us white folk can't dance ? :)

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I think everybody has gotten a hot casing down their shirt, at one point or another...

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dumbest thing I have ever seen done with a firearm involved mixing one of these

m79-2.jpg

with one of Mr. McNamara's 100,000 on a training range.

Forrest_gump__1589922f.jpg

THAT is an M79 Grenade launcher. It fires a 40 mm projectile that detonates on impact- if you are within 5 meters of the point of impact, your birthday just became null and void.

My trainee- who had the IQ of a goldfish- managed to fire a round of HE straight up. Uh, if you haven't figured it out- what goes up, must come down. Everyone hit the ground, and the round struck the ground about 30 meters BEHIND us.

Boy, that will wake you up faster than a cold shower and a double espresso!

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Only one so far.... Shooting yard sale bullets though the Medusa :(

It looked like a factory box!!

12. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I didn't get it. What did he try to say?

14. dango

Someone I know...... i ate it .......:)

15. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

12 year old me and a friend burned up his field making napalm.

16. superc

superc Member

Napalm was easy. I knew it would burn. That was the whole point. Where my accident was was making thermite. Nothing had warned me it tossed melted metal in all directions. Dad was p*ssed when he came home and saw the yard that night...
    :( ;)

17. jeffm

jeffm New Member

this is me shooting, not sure if it counts as stupid though :D

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5sbzqoweLU[/ame]

18. pmanton

pmanton Member

In 1968 I was with the 101st Abn. armed with M-16s. My service career started with the M-1 and because of promotions I sort of bypassed the M-14. I got ahold of an M-14 with a selector and did a "watch me !" I fired it from the hip. The recoil locked my wrist and I couldn't turn loose nor could I control the muzzle. Lucky for me the 20 rounds were used pretty quickly. I should have gotten the dimwit award with cluster for that.
    Paul
    CW-2 USA Ret.

19. dango

20. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus New Member

I sold one once, to get money to meet a girl...

The rest is foolishness that shouldn't ever be spoken of.