The student surpasses the master...

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by fmj, Sep 22, 2011.

1. fmj

fmj Active Member

The wife and I made it to the range for a little while today. As i have stated before, the wife is a newbie to shooting. What previous (before we met) encounters she has had with firearms were decidedly BAD. I have slowly been working with her (read: letting her go at her own speed, when shes ready, she says something, i dont push, nor do i criticize) first pistols and the .22 rifle. She, of late has been really showing more and more confidence in her abilities.

Last time out she actually asked to step up w/ the new (to me) Ruger 44 carbine. She fired 3 rounds and decided it was enough. Well, today she was ready to take on the challenge full bore. A LOT of guys would have trouble showing this as it would hurt their pride. ( i am sure i will never hear the end of it from my buddys) but i take pride in showing this as the student is surpassing the master. Kinda like one of my kids taking a nicer deer than i during a season.

I'll let the video do the talking...
    (Daddys PROUD please ignore my directional dyslexia)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1YCChF1DwQ]Maria shooting Ruger 44 - YouTube[/ame]

and another....
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eO6VDGLbPI]Maria shoots Ruger 44 I - YouTube[/ame]

My results...5 rounds, slow fire...
    [​IMG]

10 rounds, rapid fire...
    [​IMG]

Another thing i took away from todays time is i am finding just how flat this .44 shoots...she hits the same elevation at 50 as she does at 100! i likey!!

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

that is some excellent shooting!! those ruger 44 are damn sweet its a shame they arent being made anymore.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Just go ahead and give the carbine to your wife now. You'll save a bunch of embarrassment later. ;)

5. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Excellent stuff...she's really doing well.

I'd be happy as a clam with those results.
    Cool rifle. :)

6. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

That was some good shooting from the both of you. Looks like a very fun time at the range.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

And a left-handed shooter for a wife. Congrats! :)

8. fmj

fmj Active Member

OH man, it IS a sweet shooter. More superior inteligence form the top of corporate america....quit making the good stuff! :rolleyes:

9. fmj

fmj Active Member

HMMmmmmmmmmm....i wonder if i work that angle if i could parlay it into a new rifle for my safe?? ;):D

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

See, that's "man thinking". Way to go and a thumbs up.

I had one of those .44 carbines years ago and I'm still kicking myself for letting it go.

11. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Nicely done by the Mrs. I know the feeling. My wife is now shooting with me, and it's a ball. Nothing like waking up in the morning, having coffee, and having her bring her weapons downstairs (.380, Remington .270, and an old J.R. Higgins .22) and tell me she's ready to go play on the range.
    One thing I'll offer up? I bought her a 'limb saver' at Wally world. Paid $20.00 for it, but she swears it reduces the kick and makes it easier for her to handle.
    Again, congrats. Now you can have romantic evenings at the dining room table drinking coffee and cleaning his and her firearms!!!

12. fmj

fmj Active Member

Just another reason i absolutely REFUSE to sell guns i have bought...the only one i have sold in the past 20 years is that junk Taurus PT-145! The one before that was the savage 20 guage my dad bought for me for like my 14th x-mas. Still kicking myself for that sale...(looking back on it, I shoulda kept the gun and let that ungrateful eldest boy (now 21) go without formula and diapers ;):D)