The standard infantry weapon during the Revolution was a flintlock musket

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Hotelsincarmel, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Hotelsincarmel

Hotelsincarmel New Member

The standard infantry weapon during the Revolution was a flintlock musket called a what?

I had this question on my stupid homework along witha bunch of others

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Stop by the introductions area and let everyone know you're here. What kind of homework? Do you own a couple of hotels?

I'm not a history buff but wasn't the brown bess the most common flintlock of that time period?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You may be looking for the term Brown Bess. This was the informal term for the Land Pattern British Musket, which was used by both sides. US forces also used French, British, and locally made hunting rifles. Welcome, hang around, and be advised I do homework for very reasonable prices. :rolleyes:

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Yup--Brown Bess is probably what you are looking for. Nickname for
    the standard issue long gun for one side--the British.

There was no one standard issue gun for the American side. Captured
    British guns, guns purchased from anybody that would sell them,
    fowling pieces (shotguns), guns made from scratch by any number of local makers. Pretty much whatever musket/rifle/whatever that was at hand.

5. ScottG

ScottG New Member

That's why gun confiscation will never really work here....

6. Josey Wales '94

Josey Wales '94 New Member

Thank you c3, and to hotelsincarmel, I'm in high school. Do your homework dude, dont be an idiot, remember everything you can. I'm on these forums because I want to learn, and help people to learn about firearms, shooting, etc. I love to learn and be able to communicate with older people in a sophisticated way. Thank you for at least wanting to know what the Brown Bess was. And welcome...

7. Tgeorge

Tgeorge New Member

Muskets

I know there were several models of Brown Bess around, the earliest being the Long Land Pattern, but there were several variants of that. There are books on Bess variants. The Brits used these and so did the Americans. I believe Americans who fought in the French and Indian War were actually given Besses to keep by the British government and these too were used later by us in the Revolution.

Additionally there were "Committee of Safety Muskets"
    (See American Made Muskets of the American Revolution (by George Neumann)) There are a couple of great books out there today on Brown Besses.

The Brits also used something called the Ferguson Rifle, a breech loading rifle designed by Patrick Ferguson, the Commander in Chief of the British forces killed at King's Mountain. But the number used was very small, as the British military brass rejected them despite a demonstration of their efficiency.

The colonists began getting shipments of French Charleville Muskets before France officially entered the war and more later after the French declared war.

Supposedly the Charlevilles were lighter than the Besses and had stronger hammers less likely to break in combat.

American militia units and Rifle corps used flintlock rifles made by various American gun makers and Hessian units also included riflemen using German Jaeger style rifles which were the ancestral type of gun to the Pennsylvania Rifle used by the American Riflemen.

Google is your friend and there are lots of links there but I guess you wrote your paper already and the other posters also gave you a lot of information.

8. Joe M

Joe M New Member

Why do you think this is a stupid question? Part of homework my friend is to learn how to apply yourself and seek out the correct answer. You could have easily done a search for "weapons of the American Revolution" and no doubt would have found the answer reading about the ARW. Do some research, get involved and learn how your country came about through what was used on the battle field. You might fined it interesting what you learn.

9. tac

tac New Member

There were many types of muskets .
    (1) The Fusil 62cal in the 1690s. French Musket

(2) The Charleville 69cal. 1777. French Musket .

(3) The Potzdam 75cal. 1740s. German Musket.

Here is a few hope this helps .TAC

10. RMc

RMc Member

With all this information....

...your teacher may not want to ask such a wide open question in the future.

Your willingness to research this question rather than settle for the "textbook" answer may gain your teacher's respect.

Education is not what you are taught, but rather what you choose to learn.

11. romad

romad New Member

It was only used by the special unit commanded by Major Ferguson. After his death the British Army confiscated them and gave out Brown Bess' in return.

BTW, does anyone know if replicas were ever built for use by blackpowder hobbyists?

12. Joe M

Joe M New Member

There are some Ferguson replicas out and about. I'm not sure who makes them but the NMLRA would know. There are some videos on You Tube about the Ferguson Rifle.

13. romad

romad New Member

Hmmm, looks like the typical "ask an innocuous question to post an ad" spam message. I get a lot of these on a forum I now moderate for spam. Didn't realize it before.

14. romad

romad New Member

Thanks, Joe; I'll look around.

15. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

dont know about any of you other guys...but with all the history teachers I've ever had, not one has asked such a specific question about the weapons used in our nation's conflicts....on many occasions was I asked to explain the impact of new weapons vs tactics in class....I spent study halls on websites such as this and trying to catch up on the latest in firearms....and then upon graduation my history teacher thanked me for the help...and then told me I was #3 on the schools watch list -.-