The Sky Marshalls and the US ARMY

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by sarge_257, Dec 23, 2010.

1. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

Sky Marshalls and the US Army

Back in the 1980's we had some hijacking of commercial planes and the word Terrorist was just coined. Just in time for the US ARMY and it shooting teams. It happened like this:

Sarge was a member of the Colorado State Army Pistol Team and this year the team was HOT! We had taken all the local matches, the reginal matches and the Forcecom Match. An it was a good year for the other Colorado teams, following our lead the State Rifle Team and the State Machine gun team all came out on top. So we all were on our way to the National Armed Forces Matches at Little Rock, Arkansas. Camp Robertson was now the official National Match range for the US Army Reserves and National Guard. This is where the State teams battled to see who would win the National Title.
    Because of all three teams qualifying the State ran out of Air Transportation and was forced to send all three teams by Commercial Air Transportation.
    So here we were at the Denver Airport. First in line was the Pistol Team, then the Rifle Team, and then the guys that had to carry their weapons and equipment in with fork lifts, the machine gun team. I might add that we all were in uniform, combat fatigues with berets.

And the civilian Airport ticket seller whipped out a plasticized list of things you could not take on an air plane and began to read it out loud. Our Team Captain had all our sets of orders and the paper work for our baggage and tickets. When the Airline employee got to "GUNS" Our Captain said "Yes" and the guy kept reading for a couple more lines before he realized that the Captain had answered. He stopped. Looked at the Captain and said "I beg your pardon, did you just say 'Yes' to something?" The Captain repeated himself, "You asked if we had any guns and I said 'YES'."
    This really upset the guy and he pawed through the drawer to find something that he obviously was suppose to keep handy or know the contents of. Pulling another list of instructions out he announced to us that he was suppose to physically check each and every firearm to assure himself that they were empty and no ammunition was present. Then they would have to go in the cargo hold of the plane.
    "OK" agreed the Captain, and asked "Where can we go to check our baggage"
    "You are not going anywhere until I check each and every gun, where are they?" the employee replied and in a haughty tone of voice. The Captain was not used to being addressed like that and he looked over at Sarge and winked. He then turned back to the clerk and said, "These 12 boxes here, pointing to our pistol boxes on the floor, each have 4 to 5 high power pistols in them. The long boxes of the 10 guys behind us all have 2 ea. AR 16 high power military rifles in them and the 6 guys back there have 6 machine guns in their big boxes. The clerk damn near fainted and started to pushing buttons and yelling for the police. Then the Captain picked up his Pistol Box and set it on the counter, opened the side door and pulled out a Colt 1911A1 45 acp. He held it up high in the air and slapped the slide back with a very convincing sound.
    Silence............. And then screams! and running feet. Bodies falling in a dead faint. A couple of hippies in beads and long hair wet their pants and the sound of sirens rent the air. Captain handed the Colt to the Airlines employee for him to check and stepped back with his hands in the air in a classic "I surrender !" position. Here came the Sky Marshalls and they all had their guns out and pointed at Mr. 'Know it all' Airlines Employee. He turned absolutely white in the face. Then the Captain turned and addressed the point man Sky Marshall, "I told him we should go to the safe room to check the guns for ammunition but he insisted they had to be checked here.
    Good thing we were a couple of hours early at the airport. I wonder if that Airlines clerk works for TSA now.
    Sarge

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Life Story

sarge_257: Sir, another interesting ''life'' story;)

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

The girl at the metal detector told me I was not allowed to bring my pocket knife into the LA. Kings hockey game. Not quite as dramatic. :eek:

Great story Sarge.

4. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I remember an article in the newspaper telling about all the many knives that have been hidden in the planters in the airports.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sarge- not meaning to hijack thread- but I LIVE on airplanes. One day I will forget that I have a mini Swiss Army or a leatherman in my computer bag, pocket, etc. In the computer bag is a padded, stamped self addressed envelope. Drop item in envelope, seal, drop in mail, get it back.

6. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

Yeah C3 as things got worse and worse in airports, I too carried cushioned yellow envelopes with press to stick flaps. You never knew what their next crazy ban would produce. Maybe fountain pens or ball points? Personally I think if they just had a rack of guns inside the Captian's cockpit and every employee including the flight attendents well trained in firearms we wouldn't have any hijacks. And let the public know with signs in the airport and in the plane.
    Sarge
    ATTENTION PASSENGERS:
    THE EMPLOYEES OF THIS AIRLINE AND OF THIS AIR PLANE ARE ARMED AND TRAINED TO STOP ANY ATTEMPT TO HIJACK OR DAMAGE THIS AIR CRAFT.
    YOU ARE WARNED
    Wouldn't that have the left wing liberals screaming and pissing their pants.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations, Sarge. You have just descibed El Al Airlines- the state airline of Israel. The folks that have never had a sucessful hijacking aboard one of their aircraft.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Yes, Sarge. That clerk now works for TSA and is still at Denver Intl. I have had the pleasure of meeting him and spending a couple of hours in his company. Insert heavy sarcasm...

DIA SUCKS when it comes to flying with guns.

9. SecPro

SecPro New Member

HAhaha....Good story Sarge! :cool:

10. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

M14

That it does. But for our team we had to use it. After our little "set too" we would ask up front to go to the security room to have our firearms checked. We found on old soldier on the payroll that loved to work the actions on our pistols and always asked for him to check us. When I moved back to Denver from Anchorage, Alaska I sent all my guns home via UPS and FEDEX. Had a little trouble with FEDEX but I flashed my FFL license and my Private Investigator badge at the clerk and she fell all over herself giving me the best and fastest service. (for the gun shipment that is) LOL
    Sarge

11. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I'm sorry, am I the only person that thinks the Captain came across as a jackass?

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

When I was in the army, I flew from Fort Gordon, Ga to Camp Pendleton, Ca. I had a lighter that looks like a gun. As I went through security I pulled it out of my pocket and tried to hand it to the agent. They just about pissed themself. They said, "you can't take a gun on the plane!" I said "It's a lighter" I lit it. They were not amused! I lost my lighter. But made my flight. I think things would have turned out differently today.

13. MA2LA

MA2LA New Member

Maybe just a little but then again some people just have it coming to them. I have flow with my guns in checked baggage and never have had a problem but i know how some people can be when presented with situations they cant see the big picture and try to stick to what their little card tells them to do. For instance while bringing my father to Dover Air force base to deploy to either Somalia or Bosnia he had a m-16 in a locked case in the trunk that he was issued by his unit and the guard at the gate almost pissed himself and held us until he could figure out what to do. In the end some people need to just listen to whats being said and pay attention to whats being said and they would be a lot better off

14. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

You must not fly a lot. We went by plane a half a dozen times a year with our guns and we got all kinds of receptions. The real jackass was the clerk and he got his come-uptance. Most generally we were serviced by responsible and knowledgable airline personal. After all we were in uniforms for crying out loud.
    Sarge

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  15. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I don't fly a lot, but I have flown with weapons before on official orders in and out of uniform before.

The clerks I've got have been knowledgeable for the most part but on my way to Afghanistan that guy was a bit confused and a bit rude with me, but we were able to get through it all with out me racking the slide of my M9 in some grandiose display of jackassery to prove I had no ammo.

Even if I got a clerk with an extra helping of jackass, I'd like to think I'd have the good sense not to be the instigator of some issue. ESPECIALLY in uniform.

I personally prefer to not intentionally go out of my way to make my life harder than it needs to be.

16. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

racking the slide

To each his own.
    My Captain was not a jackass nor an instigator. I was surprised to see what he did. But the real jackass asked him to do it. So he complied. After all Captain asked to go to a safe room to check the guns and the jackass refused.
    Sarge

17. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I remember heading into Buffalo International on our teams' trip to San Antonio for the sporting clays national championship.....Fifteen 12-16 year olds hauling case after case each with a shotgun or 2 in em.....We all wore bright green shirts with shooting team printed large on the backs and people could NOT stop gawking....I will never forget when we checked the guns haha...people to the sides and behind us were muttering and whispering...pretty sure i heard a "Hope theyre not on my flight" comment.....pretty sure it was the clerks first time seeing a gun too hahaha

18. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

guns

There is a lot of ignorance concerning guns and it is fostered by the TV and the news media. I was happy to read your post. We need more youth competing in the State and National levels. Unfortunately there is a shortage of adults that have the time and skills to train them and go with them to them to the matches.
    Maybe that is where we retired old shooters should be taking up the slack.
    Sarge

19. Budd

Budd New Member

I did not have guns, knives,club or brass-knuckles but I spent 5 hours in a quiet room isolated almost forgotten compliments of the TSA before even being interogated and another three before being released maturely I missed my flight, and unable to get another flight and not being able to afford the cost of another ticket and spent the holiday at home and alone, because I had a set of "ENGLISH DARTS" that I forgot about in my computer case when I tried to go to Austin for Thanks Giving 2 years ago to spend the holiday with my son and missed my flight. The guy at the x-ray machine decided he needed to physically check the computer case after going through his machine.

Budd

20. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

darts

That is just about as moronic as the finger nail clippers. If someone jumped up with a pair of finger nail clippers in his hand and yelled ALLA IS GREAT or some such foolish saying I have no doubt the "REAL" men on the flight would beat the holy hell out of that horses a$$.
    Sarge