The Senate is trying to ban private sales

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Scratchammo, Dec 9, 2011.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

112th Congress: 2011-2012
    A bill to ensure that all individuals who should be prohibited from buying a firearm are listed in the national instant criminal background check system and require a background check for every firearm sale.

Sponsor: Sen. Charles Schumer [D-NY]
    Status: This bill is in the first step in the legislative process. Explanation: Introduced bills and resolutions first go to committees that deliberate, investigate, and revise them before they go to general debate. The majority of bills and resolutions never make it out of committee. [Last Updated: Nov 19, 2011 6:12AM]

2. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Here in pa you have to take a background check for every gun you buy but all it is us a quick call to the state police by the salesman. 2 bucks anf 10 minutes later and you find out if your a convuct or not haha

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Pretty much says it all.

4. fmj

fmj Active Member

that was kinda my take on it.

Good luck with that!!

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I have a question about this, How the hell do they think they can actually enforce this? Many states don't require registration of guns so it is extremely difficult to track them. How can they prove that you have or have not always had the gun in question? If they go for the registration of guns thing, it is time to defend our rights (hopefully peaceful actions will work) or we WILL end up like the UK.

6. bkt

bkt New Member

If this becomes law it won't end any private firearm sales. It will just make them all illegal.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Private sales should be just that, private. And it should be up to the individual on whether or not to sell to an individual. For instance, it's not considered a good idea to sell a gun to someone who offers to trade in crack rock.

8. fmj

fmj Active Member

LMAO!! Sage advice lad!! Wise beyond your years! :rolleyes:

9. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Wait so our deal is still on rite? I give you two crack rocks and you give me the ak.. ;P

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Sure... My friend with the pretty lights on top of the car has even offered to come with me to the meeting place... :)

11. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Oh goodie that makes me feel a lot more safe since the trade will have to be in a dark ally of a bad neighborhood hahaha

12. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The US senate is not trying to ban guns: One rabidly anti-gun senator has proposed draconian gun control. His proposal will go nowhere.

13. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

What is draconian gun control?

14. bkt

bkt New Member

ANY gun control is draconian.

15. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

jon1992d look at Australia's gun laws and the actual definition of draconian for a better description and why a lot of people here in the US use the word to describe every law regarding firearms. The bull-**** Australians have to go through to not only purchase a handgun but what they have to do to keep 1, or 2, or 3 of these handguns is criminal. If bills like this become law it won't be long before we have to deal with the same.

I'm assuming "ANY gun control is draconian." didn't quite explain anything.

For those interested, I believe this is the actual text in the bill.
    S. 436 - Schumer's Latest Gambit (Updated with bill text)

This is a crystal clear violation of a person's rights without due process.
    Sen. Schumer Wants to Bar Accused From Owning Guns

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

This is about two things:

1. Fear mongring over a bill that is DOA. The senator is pandering to his voter base, no way this would pass in the Senate, and if it did, no way it would get through the house.

2. (and most important) Separating you from your money Pay to send a petition (email)? I don't think so. My email works just fine.

I would never send a dime to any organization that would pull such a trick.

17. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

For a definition of "draconian" see the gun control laws of NJ, MA and CA.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Make more stuff illegal and make more criminals. I doubt it flies, but it would probably make me engage in more private purchases rather than less by lumping all the currently legitimate private sellers in with the other, less-legit private sellers i seem to run into on a semi-regular basis and avoid. I really wanted that little Kahr .40, but it seemed iffy in terms of being possibly stolen or something. If such a law had been passed BEFORE i saw that pistol, i would have bought it as a "drop gun" & probably would've scratched "F nanny sam" into the slide.

19. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

Right on both counts. Although to be fair, they're going fax your petition for $19 to $129 depending on how far you wanted to reach.

alsaqr as bad as those states are, they don't compare to some other countries.

Dra·co·ni·an - [drey-koh-nee-uhn, druh-]
    adjective:
    1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Draco or his code of laws.
    2.(often lowercase) rigorous; unusually severe or cruel: Draconian forms of punishment.
    Also, Draconic.

World English Dictionary
    draconian or draconic (dreɪˈkəʊnɪən, dreɪˈkɒnɪk)
    — adj
    1. of or relating to Draco, 7th-century Athenian statesman and lawmaker, or his code of laws, which prescribed death for almost every offense
    2. harsh: draconian legislation