The S(has)HTF Watch Haiti

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by dmacken, Jan 14, 2010.

1. dmacken

dmacken New Member

Firstly Let me say my heart goes out to Haiti and it's people. The devastation of the country and it's people from the earthquake is impossible to imagine as I sit here safe in my home in California with my family. I hope and pray that the many people working to bring relief and aid to this country are able to do so quickly and efficiently.

This is exactly the type of unforeseen catastrophe that leads me to try to be prepared for an emergency. From what I hear there is no electricity, no running water and most of the medical community is in ruins. Three hospitals have collapsed and sadly many possibly hundreds of medical staff are feared dead. As much as 1/3 of the people are in the streets without homes or shelter now.

This is a tragedy of unbelievable magnitude. How will the people survive? How and when will the aid reach them.

2. dmacken

dmacken New Member

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

This trajedy is of epic proportions, but it could have been lessened. The government of Haiti has a long history of corruption and civil rights abuses. The $4 bil sent to Haiti annualy by the US government has never trickled down to the citizens of Haiti. The weak infastructure, lack of building codes and the absence of human compassion made this worse than it should have been. Mother Nature was not kind, but the blood of the people of Haiti will always be on the Haitian government.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Everything is in ruins! The hospitals, police station, and prison were all destroyed. Along with all those homeless from the civil population, there are those who were locked up in prison among them. These poor people are truely on their own!!

American Red Cross
    International Relief Fund
    1-800-RED-CROS
    1-800-733-2767
    TEXT: "HAITI" to 90999
    Automatically donates $10 to the Red Cross relief effort

UNICEF

Americans seeking information on family members in Haiti, call ...
    1-888-407-4747

More infor on how you can help:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582902,00.html

Beware of SCAMS http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/01/13/world-looks-help-haitians-scammers/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  5. orangello

orangello New Member

Agreed. I feel like a jerk for even thinking it, but i can't help but wonder what the place will look like a year or two after the rescue efforts end. I don't think it will get any better, longterm, not easily anyway. :(

6. BacktoGats

BacktoGats New Member

Even if you stored provisions in such an event, it is entirely possible that it all could be buried in rubble and inaccessible. I hadn't considered this before.

7. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

I have personally been there many years ago with the Norweigan Cruise Lines. The people are warm and gracious. But very poor. There is no Building Code. The Government there does not try to improve living conditions.
    My heartfelt condolences go out to those who lost loved ones..

I just hope that the aid and help actually get to those who need it !!

Hopefully the nice young man, Miguel, who watched my belongings while snorkeling is O.K. along with his family. He was 13 at the time. Probably about 33 now.. My heart is grieving for him.. According to the cruise lines, 1 dollar was a good tip for watching belongings. ( I gave him 5 bucks as he sat by and did not leave my belongings once) And a nice polite young man trying to make money for his family and deserved more than just a measely dollar ! And I even bought lunch for him and joined my family to a nice beach picnic.

I wish I could go back to help.. Crap, now I'm bummed out..

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Let's send noboma and the rest of the DC Royals down there to "Help the people" with a one-way ticket.

9. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Im sure we will throw money at it, more than anyone else will. Of course we will be chastized by the rest of the world for not doing enough.

10. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

I would say don't send a dime and tell them to make do, but that's not in the heart of the people of this country.

11. dmacken

dmacken New Member

This is one of the things I thought about too. I suppose if I had a small shed outside that might be the place to store emergency supplies. But I don't. I was thinking I would put my supplies very close to my side garage door. This would be a start but does not solve the problem as obviously a building can fall one way or the other. In an earthquake situation maybe the best place would be in the attic. Then your stuff is on top of the rubble not at the bottom. But of course this is not ideal in all situations either. you know I used to have a big metal storage like pickup truck tool box I got off an old RV. I wish I had that still. Could set it up in the back of the house away from the house and place items in it. It was weather proof and I suppose you could pack it weather tight pretty easily.

Any thoughts on where to store your stuff. We're talking at home now not out in some survivalist bug out camp.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

My weapons, ammo and BOB are all in my safe. My safe is on an outside wall, and in the event the house comes down on top of it, it should be able to withstand the weight and trauma and be accessed with a chainsaw or an axe and some time.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ So, where do you keep the axe or chainsaw?

I feel bad for the Midsouth when the New Madrid fault has another major spazm; most people don't even think about it.

I started thinking about some numbers last night: If the U.S. sends $4 billion to Haiti every year and if it is true that the average Haitian makes it on the popularly posted $1/day, then somebody's pockets are getting SERIOUSLY lined. $4 billion/10 million people (from da wiki) = $400 per person every year. The skimmers could skim $35 per person & still leave everybody their dollar per day; $35 each on 10 million peeps is $350,000,000 dollars. Somebody must be seriously loaded down their; i hope they are being squashed by some really expensive antique, personally.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That huge building in the pics the OP posted is/was the Presidential Palace.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe FEMA will replace it with a lovely camper; they've been on the news talking about auctioning the leftover ones from Katrina.

16. dmacken

dmacken New Member

Watching 20/20 tonight. Tomorrow will be day 4 that MOST all of the people in Haiti effected by the quake have not gotten ANY relief supplies. Many MANY thousands of people, families with no food or water surviving on what they can find. And now Thousands and thousands of bodies in the streets. Per the guy on the show from Christian charities who has been involved in disasters such as this tomorrow is the drop dead day to get the supplies to the people. Tomorrow will be a big day in Haiti that is going to make or break this. I hope there are no riots at these food supply areas.

I'm going to spend next week insuring that I have at the very least a 7 day supply of food and water. And that it is placed along with a bug out bag in a location that will be accessible. I will also spend some time talking with my grown children to insure they start doing the same thing for their families.

Should have done it a long time ago. It's never to late to get prepared.
    Or is it.......

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I actually need to buy a chainsaw, as I don't own one currently. I have a good eastwing axe and a snowshovel in my rig. I don't go anywhere without them.

I also have about 300 feet of coiled 1800# mule tape, which I can attach to things like exposed 2x4's and the like, hook up to the tow hitch. Viola. ;)

JD

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice! Don't forget about your car/truck jack. After a storm messed up Memphis, we had to use a floor jack & prybar to get a buddy's stuff out of his crushed trunk.

19. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good point Gello. Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.