The Ruger PC Carbine just took a back seat.

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Greg_r, Dec 30, 2017.

1. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Greg, different needs, different interests. Precision at long range for a .22LR versus an "up close and personal" PCC in 9mm, with compatible mags for Ruger and Glock pistols.

About four months ago, I got a Beretta CX4 PCC - primarily because it takes the same mags as my 92FS and I sorta wanted a PCC. Cost of ammo and compatibility of mags was a primary draw. Frankly, my plinking is pretty much in the 25-100 yard range, so the CX4 fit my needs.

I would have done a major-league face-palm if the Ruger PC9 took Beretta mags, but it doesn't, so I'm not kicking myself for not waiting. The CX4 is likely more expensive and really should have some aftermarket upgrades, but it is lighter and shorter than the Ruger offering, and has a very nice pistol grip, as ugly as it might be... It just "feels right" - to me. But if Ruger had released this six months ago and had Beretta 92FS/M9 mag compatibility, I would have jumped on it within a nanosecond.

The .22LR precision rifle looks interesting, but I'm about .22LR'd out. And, for my plinking pleasure for .22LR, I'm fine with my 10/22, Marlin 99M1, and Remington Model 12 from the '20s for the 50-100 yard range.

Once you get your .22LR precision rifle, please let us know about it! It is an intriguing offering!

2. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I have been on a hunt for a 9 mm PCC for a little bit now. I bought a H I Point 995TS a while back, and it has been a very good one, but I just want something just a little bit better.

I built an AR-9, but I just never really liked it. It's a 300 BLK now. Anything Keltec is a no go for me, too many issues with their stuff.

The Beretta is where I was leaning, I know they make good stuff, but when I found out the face was plastic I nixed that idea. Was going to look at the Just Right Carbine, but didn't get that far when Ruger announced the PC-9. I am an admitted Ruger fan boi, so that really sort of made my decision. I just wish they shipped with American Pistol mag well and magazines.

As to the .22 rimfire, I am set with hunting rifles, the Remington Nylon 66 and it's South American cousin, the CBC GR8. I wanted a target .22, so I recently built a 10/22 target rifle. Wanted a bolt action as well, so I was looking at the Ruger American Rimfire and the MDT chassis. The new Ruger offering gets me one already built at a more reasonable price.

In the end I imagine I will get both. I have always liked Rugers, just never could afford them. My token Ruger was a MKII. I built a pretty good collection of H&R Handi Rifles, Pardner shotguns, and revolvers over the years, plus a few budget brand firearms. I have been trading them for store credit and replacing them with Rugers. Pretty soon I will be almost all Rugers, but a considerable smaller collection overall.

RJF22553 and Dallas53 like this.
  3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

$529 MSRP is not bad if it shoots well. That is in line with the American Target models and $140 over the plastic stocked RAR's.

4. jackrich3

jackrich3 Well-Known Member Supporter

I wish Ruger would re-introduce a 10/22 in .22mag. That’s a carbine I’d buy, for sure.

5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you looked at the thureon arms carbine, made in Wisconsin? There is the choice of glock or M&P mags. I've been eyeing them. Maybe you can buy one and test it for us.

6. JTJ

There were a lot of problems with the 10-22 magnum so it was discontinued. I still remember people trying to convert 10-22's to 17 HM2. Savage A17 addressed the problems with a delayed blowback design. Ruger would have a better chance at a PC22M than a 10-22M. They really need to take a cue from Savage and Keltec. Adapting a 22lr semi auto action to 22 WMR or 17 HMR just does not work well.
    If you want something from Ruger go "Tell the CEO" on their website. I did along with enough other people to get the Ranch 30 and the PC9 introduced. I already bought the Ranch 30 and will probably get the PC when the dust settles.

Greg_r likes this.
  7. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

If you're good with tools and a drill press you can make your own 80% receiver in 10/22 magnum. I don't remember the company, but type in 10/22 80% receiver and it'll take you to the website. Receivers, bolts, jigs and plans are all there, but there is some things you'll need elsewhere.

8. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I did, thought the JRC was the better deal.

JTJ likes this.
  9. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

This ^^^^^^^ I have asked using the Tell the CEO for various items, micro 1911, LCRX 3" 327 Federal, American rifles in 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel, American rifle in the Scout guise, return of the Police Carbine, American shotgun.

So far I have gotten them all except the American Scout Rifle, the 327 Federal LCRX-3, and the American shotgun. They did come out with the LCRX in 327 Federal though!

Tells me two things. Ruger listens to their customers, and a lot of people apparently like the same things I do!

JTJ likes this.
  10. tazzman55

tazzman55 Member

I have a Berreta carbine (9mm) and have used it to dispatch raccoons. Handy little carbine with a descent trigger.
    Tried a PC9 and a PC40, and found that I could not shoot them well primarily because of the trigger. And they were heavy. Good house guns though. Just don’t try to shoot aluminum cased ammunition in the 40, it will tear the case in two and jam the gun in a bad way. This might be true of other carbines as well.
    Had a Marlin carbine. Good gun, but the stock was not comfortable, and just like the PC, I could not mount a light on it.
    My current favorite is a JRC in 40S&W. Uses AR components, and has rails. The 40S&W is more effective and still gives me the option of using a reliable high cap mag.
    I’ve also started working with a CZ scorpion. Trigger pull out of the box was terrible. I replaced the springs in the trigger group, which helped, but then had a problem with the trigger not resetting. Hoping it will break in. I also had to replace the safety lever because it was cutting into my thumb. Didn’t like the pistol grip either, and replaced it.
    In retrospect I think it’s pretty hard to beat the JRC.

JTJ likes this.
  11. Imurhuckleberry

Imurhuckleberry Well-Known Member

12. JTJ

I was about to buy the JRC take down when I ran into the Keltec Sub 2K's at a decent price. I have looked at most of the AR style carbines and the JRC looked like the best one. The Gen 1's had a lot of problems but the Gen 3's have been getting good reviews. It was designed as a pistol caliber carbine not a make it work AR. The Ruger is a game changer. I like the sights and the take down. My wife wants to shoot my 9mm Sub2k since her health has improved. The 40 would be too much for her. Although heavier the Ruger might be a better option for her especially with the stock spacers taken out. The adjustable stock on the JRC would be ideal. Last trip out she shot my AR from the bench and did OK. Might even be able to handle a 9mm pistol again. Have to get her to the range.

13. tazzman55

tazzman55 Member

Have you considered the Berretta for you wife?

14. JTJ

Beretta 92 is too big for her hand and I dont want another carbine to match the Beretta. She can use a Glock 19 if she has too in an emergency and I want to stay with the Glock mags. She also needs a shorter stock.