The Ruger MK I, II, III, and IV Thread.

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Dallas53, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

a dedicated thread to the Ruger MK Series pistols. all things related to them. pictures, modifications and tips and tricks to make them better, look better, or more accurate.

these lttle pistols are very popular, and have been around for many years now. prices run from very reasonable to a little more expensive depending upon which version you decide you want. the polymer framed version being the least expensive of all of them for the most part. these pistols are decently accurate right out of the box as well. and can be made more accurate if you are willing to spend a little money and some time with them.

i bought my MK III 22/45 about six years ago. i have replaced the grips with some nice red cherry grips. added a Pentax red dot sight on the scope base mount. this little pistol is pretty danged accurate and just plain fun to shoot. also makes a great first training pistol of the noob as well. i absolutely love mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Standard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_III

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_IV

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    SGWGunsmith likes this.
  2. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

The Ruger MKII along with the Ruger Single Six have been on my favorite .22 handgun list for a long time. Matter of fact, the MkII and the 1911 are the only semi automatic pistols I really like, although the Colt Woodsman and Browning Buckmark come awfylly close!

I grew up shooting a Ruger Standard 22, along with a Colt Woodsman .22. When I purchased my own, I chose the 6" light tapered model Ruger MKII. Why? Several reasons, foremost among them was the law back then allowing hunting with a .22, but the barrel had to be a minimum of 6". Otherwise I would have bought the 5 1/2 inch bull barrel. I looked at the handgun back then as a secondary arm, carried for convience to put the occasional squirrel or bunny in the pot, and to administer a coup de gras if necessary.

One scenario where the pistol was considered a primary firearm was racoon hunting. What with carrying the lanterns, a burlap sack to hold the nights bounty, a motorcycle battery to power the spotlight we also carried, it just made sense to carry your primary hunting arm in a holster. The 10" version made sense here, but there was a catch. Back in the day, the 10" model would of only been legal to hunt with on private land, as the law at the time said the barrel of the pistol carried on public land could not exceed 7 1/2 inches. Since we hunted public land from time to time the 10" barrel was out.

In retrospect, the 6 7/8" heavy tapered target model would of been a good choice, but remember, I considered the pistol as a secondary arm, not primary, so the 6 inch version just made sense. Besides, as a secondary arm, I carried with an empty chamber. Made the arm ready just before I was ready to use it. For Racoon hunting, I carried my H&R model 649 with a 7 1/2" barrel. My budget substitute for the Ruger Single Six convertable. With it's transfer bar, I felt safer carrying with a loaded chamber under the hammer. The hammer had to be manually cocked and the trigger pulled to make it work. Plain and simple was not capable if firing unless you meant for it to. The H&R accounted for many Racoons in it's day!

Where the MKII excelled was in the squirrel woods. Deer were scarce in my younger days. Plus we were expected to be productive. Most of what we ate back then was either grown, caught, or hunted. Only Staples like flour, suger and coffee was store bought. A morning hunting was often saved by the MKII. After an unsuccesful morning waiting on deer, the Ruger MKII was often used to put a squirrel or three in the pot. Unlike deer, squirrel were plentiful. One of my favorite tactics was to set up in a groove of oaks before first light. Settle in and wait on daylight and the squirrels to come out to feed. Firearms of choice were always the Ruger MKII and the Remington Nylon 66. I would wait until the squirrels were feeding. When the time was right, and I knew where the squirrels were at in the trees, I would take my first shot. With the semi automatic, because I was not working a bolt, lever, or hammer, I was able to keep movement at a minimum. Any squirrels on the ground would bolt for the nearest tree, but the ones in the trees, not knowing where the danger was coming from, would simply flatten on the branch they were on. These were my targets. Many a time I was able to limit out in a short order of time. The Ruger MKII was my choice when I expected my shots to be close, if the shots were longer, I used the Remington Nylon 66.

My MKII is very accurate. The sights are well regulated and it likes a 6 o'clock hold. Simply center and level the sights and place your target on top of them. If you do your part, the Ruger MKII will do it's part. A common comment when a trip to the range is planned is "bring your .22 that is so accurate". Everybody likes to shoot it. The MKII also saw the introduction of the 22/45. But I just really don't like it. I guess I prefer the more raked grip of the Nambu the Ruger was modeled after rather than the grip of the Colt that Ruger changed it to.

The MKII has several improvements I like over the earlier Standard/MKI. I like the scallops around the cocking piece. Makes the cocking piece easier to operate, and I like the last round hold open.

Ruger lost me with the introduction of the MKIII though. I like the frame mounted magazine release verses the heel mounted magazine release. I am lukewarm over the loaded chamber indiicator, it doesn't really bother me but I would rather it not be there. To me, all firearms are loaded, even if they are not. But Ruger lost me with the introduction of the magazine safety. How anything that makes a firearm that already has a reputation of being difficult to clean even more difficult by adding additional steps to reassemble makes that firearm more safe is beyond me. Add to that the fact that if you are using the firearm in competition and you are given the command to "show clear and drop hammer" you actually have to reinsert the magazine to follow the command...no thanks. Likewise, I am not interested in the MKIV for the same reason.

Today I still have my MKII. The H&R 649 has been replaced with a 5 1/2 inch barrelled stainless Ruger Single Six convertable. You are likely to find me with a stainless Ruger Bearcat when lightweight carry is the order of the day. But the Ruger SP101 is what you will likely find in my holster for general everyday carry when .22 is the order of the day.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    SGWGunsmith, Dallas53 and SRK97 like this.

3. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Dallas, great idea! Have a Mk-II standard I bought new in the early '80s. Great pistol, PITA to reassemble after cleaning...

SGWGunsmith and Dallas53 like this.
  4. Dallas53

i love these little pistols! i think they are one of the great designs. their only detraction is the difficult disassembly. but other than that, they are awesome pistols. i love mine and enjoy shooting it.

i thought because they were so popular, and there were so many of them made, people are customizing them by the scores, i thought they deserved their own thread.

SGWGunsmith and RJF22553 like this.
  5. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Back in the day, the old guy bullseye shooters favored the bull-barrel rugers with a custom trigger job as an adequate competitive pistol at our gun club. Most had several others - High Standard Victor, S&W 41's, Colt Target Woodsmen- but the most common was the customized Bull Barrel Ruger. My only regret is that mine is blued, not stainless.

SGWGunsmith and Dallas53 like this.
  6. RJF22553

Happy with my blued Standard Mk-II. Don't own any stainless firearms. Perhaps my loss, but love blued guns.

sheriffjohn and Dallas53 like this.
  7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I have a stainless steel, slab barrel Mark II I bought from JonM. It’s the only Ruger Mark I’ll ever want.

boringoldfart and Dallas53 like this.
  8. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Turned my MKIII 22/45 into a space gun :)

Tandemkross aftermarket upgrades include
    - halo charging ring
    - hammer bushing
    - victory trigger
    - compensator (for that evil .22 muzzle flip)
    - sling-shot kit
    - loaded chamber indicator replacement plug
    - extended mag bumpers
    - hogue grips

image.jpeg

Dallas53 and sheriffjohn like this.
  9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

They are just modern Nambu pistols... ;) :p

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Wait a minute now, sheriff! ;) I wasn't an 'ol guy when I was shooting this Mark I, or when I bought it. Unbeknownst to me, I bought this pistol just 3 months before the Ruger Mark II version was introduced. But, I did whoop some butt with this pistol at the bullseye range of owners having High Standards and Colt Woodsman's. :p

[​IMG]

sheriffjohn, RJF22553 and Dallas53 like this.
  11. Dallas53

one of these days, i will find a MK I with the factory 10" barrel. though they are not rare, they are not common either. i have only seen a few pop up on the gun auctions over the years.

12. SGWGunsmith

Well, that's a debatable statement. If you were to buy and read the book, "Bill Ruger's .22 Pistol", you might come away with a completely different understanding.

Dallas53 likes this.
  13. SGWGunsmith

Dallas, I'm thinking you may have meant the Ruger Mark II ( MK 10 ). Although there was just a couple of Ruger Mark I prototype pistols made with 10-inch long barrels, none made it to production for the "unclean masses". This is a Ruger Mark II with the 10-inch barrel that I used to try my hand at silhouette shooting at .22 rimfire distances. I only wish that that sort of shooting would get back to where it was.

I have the stainless version also, but I like the blued version a bit more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  14. Dallas53

Mr. SGW, do you like the blued version or the SS versions better?

and what is your favorite series and why?

like to here a gunsmith's perspective on the pistols.

15. Dallas53

i believe that's the one i have seen before. i may have gotten the series mistaken. i really like that longer barrel! very cool looking pistols Mr. SGW!

16. SGWGunsmith

I have quite a few of the Ruger Mark II variations. Being a bit "naive", I never thunk Ruger would go beyond that version. When I was buying Ruger Mark II pistols, I went for some of the more obscure versions whereby only a limited number were produced. These did involve a few distributor guns, but also a few that just didn't seem to grab the shooting public's libido, like this one:
    [​IMG]

This is an MK514 Mark II Target variation. It has the 5 ¼ Heavy Tapered Target barrel. For some reason, this variation didn't grab they buying public by a nerve, so few were made. I don't own any "safe queens", so this puppy gets shot, but it also is pampered and cleaned/lubed regularly.

I hope your suggestion involving the possibility of a "dedicated Ruger Mark pistol forum" at least gets some consideration from the "gods". That venue, here would bring quite a few disgruntled members OVER from the "dark side", which I have had some misgivings with the direction they are headed. Kudos to you "Dallas" for your encouragement. Thanks for your efforts.........Dennis

Dallas53 likes this.
  17. SGWGunsmith

Greg_r,
    I became enamored with Ruger Mark pistols 50 years ago, when I had to have my father sign for my first one because I wasn't old enough to do that for myself. This was the very first Ruger Mark pistol I ever owned, and, still have although its had some changed done, like an adjustable rear sight, over-travel trigger screw added and a set of Gabon Ebony grip panels that I hand shaped and checkered. I still shoot this pistol every now and then. This was the very first Ruger Standard A 54 grip frame that I have ever had completely apart, a learning process that couldn't be corrected by any "You-Tube" videos, or other stuff we have available today. So, when you mention that you "grew up shooting a Ruger Standard", I know full well that there are many other members here who have done just that.

[​IMG]

My goal here is to dispel what some perceive to be difficulty in disassembling these guns. Heck, they're easy to get apart, it's getting these little devils back together that chases people to vile drink! Let's get those issues understood so that reassembly becomes second nature, and then more folks will get involved.

18. Dallas53

Dennis, i believe if this thread gets enough traffic, getting it made into a "sticky" might be the best option available instead of just a dedicated Ruger Mk series section. getting the Mods or Admins to make this thread a sticky shouldn't be too difficult.

i am very much enjoying your posts on this subject and am looking forward to hearing more from you on this subject.

19. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

I think the 6 7/8" tapered bull the best looking (has that retro thing going for it).
    Nice sight radius too.
    I had a Mk1 mint, no box though........and couldn't bear to send it in for D&T.
    So I was hunting for a MK2 version.
    Hate warning labels though.

And like the mag release of the MK3.

Ended up w a Davidson's "Great Eight" 22/45 (MK2).
    Hate the first gen frame...........was gonna swap in a steel MK3 one $$$.
    Scoped it w Leupold 2X.

Darn thing big and bulky, good range toy I guess, but I have a 10/22 decked out.
    So................

I'm looking for a 5 1/2" MK2, will put a reflex sight on it.
    Have decided to keep my handguns more on the handy side.
    No MK3 (hate LCI).

Might take the 8" to the gunshow.

SGW................dig the shorty tapered bull. That is very cool :) Didn't know they made that one (wasn't paying attention before, but will from now on in case I see one floating about).

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  20. RJF22553

SGW, Dallas: this thread just might make me break out my Mk-II and shoot it! Only mod I've done to it is putting on Hogue grips - something that completely changed how that wonderful pistol feels and shoots. Still have the original walnut grips in a safe space...

Dallas53 likes this.