The Rugar No. 1 in .45-70

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JoeParker, Apr 5, 2010.

1. JoeParker

JoeParker New Member

Hello all.

I am considering purchasing a Rugar No. 1 in .45-70 caliber. I've read a great deal of positive things about this weapon verses other single shot .45-70s. However I would like more input before I make a decision.

Do any of you all own a No. 1 in .45-70? If so, what's you opinion on the rifle?

Thanks for the input.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Joe,my #1 is a 300WinMag and has always been a great gun.Beautiful wood,and shoots decent. Ruger #1's are excellent guns,but some shoot good,some don't,but there are several things that can be done to them to improve the accuracy of the ones that don't shoot that good.

Ruger #1's were never designed to be precision target rifles,but are great hunting rifles,and shoot minute of game all day long.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A good friend of mine has a #1 in .45-70. It is incredibly accurate out to 400 yards. If I had the money laying around, I would have one.

4. TexasPatriot.308

TexasPatriot.308 New Member

I just bought me a No. 1V in .22-250 with a heavy barrel, gonna put some good optics, the Varminter is supposed to be a shooter, for the price I sure hope it is, anyway I love the beauty of the #1, years ago I had two #3s, wished I still had them, one a .22 hornet other a .223, both with even really good optics including good Luepolds would not shoot worth a darn.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

We had a 22-250 and it shot like a shotgun. It was a simple fix I found after my dad sold it.

If your #1 is not shooting good There is a simple fix out there somewhere. I can't find it right now. It involves something with the fore arm.

6. whirley

whirley New Member

Whirley

Many years ago I was lucky enough to purchase a Ruger #1 in 45/70 in a presentation walnut case. Dealer was retiring and closing his business. It came with a vernier aperature sight. It has all the accessories included in compartments. My son has shot it a 1000 yards with handloads, cast bullets. Surprisingly accurate. Of course mid range trajectory is really something. Factory loads are kept way down, because manufacturers are aware that people will shoot them in trapdoor rifles. Try it, you'll like it!

7. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

I've had a #1 in 45-70 for about 14 years now. A good little gun for the most part but for the price involved the fit and finish should be better. The barrel has the standard bluing but the receiver has a purple hue to it in direct light, almost like a case hardened look. Checkering is so-so with lines overrun. It is accurate with standard factory fodder and more so with handloads. The standard sights are useless with very little adjustment for a round that drops as much as it does. You are forced to place your face way down on the comb to get any good sight picture and that affects felt recoil. It now sports a simple 4x scope which raises your face up enough.

8. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry New Member

I've never owned one, but Neil and I are going to start a Ruger # 1 Club in 35 Whelan! Anyways, my brother in law got one many years ago,and it was something else! I remember that there was something about the barrel and stock. They ( Tony and Bear, that would be Bear from Florida, not our domesticated Big Foot) made some shims for the forearm from plastic margarine covers, and then the barrel could be properly tightened. They tossed the factory sights, and went with a fixed power Burris scope & rings on it. We had a connection there back then, and "blems" were to be had for next to nothing. Tony and bear worked up some loads, and I saw Tony take his first Pronghorn Buck with it at close to 275 yards. Not bad for a 45/70! Sorry, but I have no idea of what was in the load recipe that they built up. I can tell you that he was a fan of Sierra and Nosler though.

Hope that helps, and have fun!

Shoot Straight & Be Safe!

9. JoeParker

JoeParker New Member

Thanks everybody for your input. I'll definitly put it into consideration before deciding to make the purchase.

10. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I picked up a Ruger #1 Medium Sporter in 45-70 yesterday at a gun show. Three hours later, I put a few factory rounds through it, and was pleasantly surprised that the recoil wasn't as bad as I had been lead to believe. Certainly not as hard-kicking as my Savage 110 7mm mag in the lightweight synthetic stock. It was windy and I was using the back end of the pickup as a rest, but seemed to shoot well enough for hunting at my typical ranges.
    I love the looks of the rifle, and have always wanted a 45-70, just had never gotten around to getting one before now. I'm going to have fun with this one. Of course, I'm easy to please, as long as the game falls down when the gun goes boom and I don't have to track it far, I'm happy. :D

11. greydog

greydog Member

The Number one in 45/70 is an attractive rifle and was the first of the modern rifles to be brought out in 45/70. The rifle is light and handles quickly.
    The Number One is strong. It is so strong, one can load the 45/70 to ridiculous levels (400 grain bullets at over 2000fps). At these levels, that light weight is not an asset and recoil is substantial.
    A few years back, I was asked to rechamber one of these to the 45x 2 5/8 Sharps. This takes the rifle into heavy magnum territory if one chooses to load it that way. The customer furnished a box of shells to test it with. These featured 500 grain bullets at about 2350 fps. I fired two then suggested he could do his own testing.
    In the end, I think the Number One in 45/70 is a classy rifle in a neat caliber. Loaded to reasonable levels, it is powerful enough for anything in North America and still not too bad to shoot. GD

12. wsmrto

wsmrto New Member

My Ruger 45/70

I think I got it about 9 years ago at Tulsa GS. I have several 45/70's and reload everything from light cast loads for a trapdoor to loads for a Marlin Guide Gun. I got a nice huge cow elk 4 years ago with the Ruger and I can only say that when hit she just looked around and dropped to her knees and rolled over. dead when she hit the ground. I don't think you can go wrong with the Ruger, if you need to shoot the 45/70. With max handloads the recoil is brutal as the Ruger is a short and light rifle but if you work up loads gradually then you should be able to shoot at that elk or moose without a flinch. Also you don't need a 45/70 for any deer and several years I got my over 500 lbs. cow elk with a 140 Gr. 6.5X55 Swedish.