The Road

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by user4, Jan 13, 2010.

1. user4

user4 New Member

Has anyone seen this? I loved it.

The world is in ruins after some apocalyptic event. A father and his son are walking towards the coast in an attempt to head south to escape the increasingly cold, endless winter. Along the way they have to avoid gangs forced into cannibalism. Their only weapon is a pistol with 2 shots.

Warning: Not really a happy ending. Kind of like life. Still a great story in the non traditional sense.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I read the book. It was well written, and deeply disturbing.

The recurring theme in books such as "Lucifer's Hammer", "One Second After" and "The Road" seems to be cannibalism.

So few people realize that there is a 3 day supply of food in the country at any time. If the delivery systems break down, people will be VERY hungry in a very short time.

Stock up on ammo.

3. tallguy130

tallguy130 New Member

I read the book too and loved it. Really messed with my head! By the end I was only reading it during the day. Think I'll hold off on seeing it for a while, have to be in the right mood to see that one.

Stock up on ammo indeed!

4. user4

user4 New Member

Cormac McCarthy also wrote No country for old men, and all the pretty horses he seems to have this recurring theme of helplessness of circumstances.

5. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

I was waiting for this movie to come out for the longest time. Only to have it not show in theaters within 50 miles of where I live.... Looks like I'll be waiting. Maybe I'll pick up the book.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

The book was fantastic, McCarthy won a Pulitzer for it.

Haven't seen the movie but my son did and said it was very good, but not as good as the book. Although Viggo Mortensen absolutely rocks.

7. user4

user4 New Member

There are other ways to see this movie...

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, but I'd rather seen it on a Bluray player in my home or in the theater.;)

9. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

True, but I'd rather not watch a good movie on the computer. I save that for movies that I wouldn't ever bother renting.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

After reading "The Road" my wife got me "No Country for Old Men". The first half was good, but then it really fell off. Lousy ending, too. Have not read "All the Pretty Horses".

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

IMO, anything Cormac McCarthy has written is fantastic.

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I like his style, and attention to small details (such as wooden dummy rds to fill the empty chambers in The Road), but the two stories of his that I have read have been so bleak. Granted, the End Of The World and cannibalism SHOULD be bleak, but still.....

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

His style of writing is definitely an acquired taste, I'll give you that!

14. user4

user4 New Member

Same with the movie. Exactly

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have not seen either movie, but The Road is on my list. I don't see very many movies.

Theaters kinda creep me out.

16. generic

generic New Member

I read the book, and then watched the movie the week after. A pretty accurate translation as far as book-to-movie goes (I'd say 80-85% accurate to the book). And probably one of the most, if not the most, realistic descriptions of the apocalypse you can read/see. Don't want to give anything away, but I liked how he wrote the ending with so much uncertainty.

17. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

If a pandemic hit the massive death tolls from it are scary enough but really once the dust settles and there isn't enough people to man oil refineries, drive that oil, farm the land in mass, food supplies will wither and the people will turn pretty fast on one another.