The Real Problem with 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Gert999, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

I bought a handgun in 9mm because of the price and supposed availabilty <Sp>, sorry can't spell. I live in central IL there are Two walmarts and a Farm and Fleet in my area yet i can never find and D@*$ 9mm ammo if i'm lucky they have a box or two LGS has some but aren't open when i'm awake and not working and mainly have Home defense rounds. I ended up having to go to a sporting goods store and pay 8-10 bucks more on ammo!! Hell After all the driving around hunting for it the gas alone i would have saved money going with a 40 or 45 cal which are easier to find. Sorry bout the rant this is third time this crap has happened. I know it should get better after the election I'm really hopein it will. :cool:

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I buy mine off the internet.

3. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

I've looked online, can't afford bulk at the moment but i'm about to start ordering a 100 here or there just cause its so dang hard to find in my area

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Ya might be able to share the cost of a bulk ammo purchase with a friend.

5. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

Ya working on that most my friends at the moment seem to have every other caliber .380 .40 .45, or just revolvers one of my friends is thinkin of gettin one will deffinetly work that out when i can thanx for the suggestion :D

Anybody know a site where they would mix bulk purchases of ammo? i know we could just have em shipped togther to save some money, was wondering if any site that offers 1000+ bulk deals would do half and half??

6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The problem is supply and demand, there is a huge demand for ammo. A guy comes in to my local Walmart and buys up a bunch of 9mm all the time, its a pain in the butt. I usually have to buy it within a few days of when it comes in if I want any. They always have .45s though.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

some of the bulk ammo sellers will sell in smaller quantities, but the more you buy, the bigger the discount. LuckyGunner.com is one i have used before and had decent luck with. just Google "bulk ammo" and see what pops up. also try MidwayUSA.com as i do buy ammo from them sometimes, but i do buy way more reloading supplies now than ammo.

8. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

Ya noticed that they always have .45 between either shipping or gas hunting for 9mm it would have been cheaper to go with a .40 or .45 lol

9. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I don't know about the Wally World near any of you, but the one nearest to me has a two boxes of ammo daily limit per customer. I had stopped by sporting goods the last couple times we were there because they have had Federal 9mm for under $11/box. Nothing else is much more of a bargain ammo wise there any more it seems.

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Great ammo, I buy it for $19.97 for the 100 round box, the 50 rounders are almost $12 here.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

You could talk to the managers at your local walmarts and see if either is willimg to help you out. It cant hurt to ask and explain your situation. Maybe one of em would be wiilling to save a box or two each shipment for you. Worst that can happen is they say no

12. kycol

kycol New Member

Back when I was a kid Walmart was them called big k and the would put ammo on sale and limit the amounts. My dad would have mom, my two sisters and me buy take it to the car and back in again for round two. And yes back then a 9 year old could by ammo

13. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Just get it online. There are plenty of places that sell 9mm for a decent price.

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

With this here newfangled interwebby thang, there is really no excuse for being at the mercy of local retailers for your ammo needs. Ironically, SD ammo was (at one point) sparse locally but fmj practice stuff was everywhere. You don't necessarily need to buy it by the truckload to save money. Find a vendor with decent shipping rates and order enough to at least take the sting out of the shipping costs.
    If all else fails, start reloading. ;)

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/9mm

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I find the Winchester white box of 100rd about every third trip to Wallyworld - Course we have Army-Navy store, local FFl, Academy plus several hardware stores too that carry it but its of course a little higher-

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Plenty of affordable 9mm for you right HERE.

17. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Endeavor to Persevere

Isn't a Big K a super K-Mart?!

Anyway, yes, there's a bit of another rush on to get ammo. I hope no-one needs it. Getting it now may be a pain but possible. At election time or after -- who knows what the future holds? But I wouldn't count on it -- when you need it it's too late. Slow but steady wins the race.

18. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

www.reliantammo.com is really reasonable and you could save more if you buy their reloads.

19. kycol

kycol New Member

I think they call them big k mart, but not in my younger days. There was a big k and k mart the big k in our town became wal-mart got to remember I'm an old man

20. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

Thanx for all the info guys real helpful :)