the racine county sheriff deputy and me

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by JonM, Apr 11, 2013.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

Well yesterday on my way to the gas station after work i got pulled over by a county deputy.

Handed him my ccw and dl license when he came up to the car. He asked me if i was carrying i said sure was. He asked where they were. I told him in my pocket and one in the center console. He said good to see folks carrying just dont take em out while im here.

He pulled me over for a missing registration tag. Someone had taken it off my plates *sigh*

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

There are still good cops left in this country. I assume he let you go with a warning.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

He ran my plates and checked the vin to make sure it wasnt stolen car and just had my sticker stolen. He told me how to get a new one from the dmv.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

The good cops still outnumber the bad. The bad just make the news more often!

6. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

You can say that again!!

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Okay!

The good cops still outnumber the bad. The bad just make the news more often! ;)

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That is very true. I'm glad you had a good experience, Jon.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I'm glad to hear that there are level headed people in Wis.

The only ones I get exposed to in WI are my kinfolk
    (If you know what I mean.....)

10. jyo

jyo New Member

Those stickers are often stolen---a few quick slices with a sharp knife or razor will make it very difficult to remove in a way that would allow someone to reuse it. Glad to hear no hassles with your CCW!

11. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

It's actually comforting to me when I make a traffic stop and someone hands me their CCP with their DL. When that happens I do t even ask about their weapons.

Statistically speaking, if someone wants to shoot me during a traffic stop it'll be BEFORE they identify as a CCW Holder and before they could begin to put me "on edge".

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I live in a Constitutional carry state. An LEO can not ask if you are armed during a traffic stop. The citizens does not have to declare. The Free States in America are very unique in regards to liberty.:)

13. 1911love

1911love New Member

Not required to declare in FL either, but I do it out of courtesy. I hand my CWP on top of my DL when I rarely get pulled. Cops have enough BS to worry about, why not just be up front if you're a LAC. Glad to hear you didn't get hassled by one of the few bad ones Jon.

14. beenz

beenz New Member

It's always nice to have a pleasant encounter with law officers

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

In Colorado we are not required to inform either. But a good friend of mine is a Sheriffs Deputy. He told me that he wishes people would tell him. He finds out anyway when he runs their license. Then he just wonders why they didnt say anything. Then he feels a little uneasy. Cops have enough to be uneasy about without us making it worse. I always inform when pulled over or when they are helping me. My wife and I have both been in accidents and needed help. I sat in the front of a police car to keep warm while waiting for a tow truck. No way I am getting in a police car without telling them.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

We arent requiredto declare our carry status here in wisconsin unless the officer asks. I just give mine over to get that out of the way in case they spot my gun bump or see a spare mag i forgot about or if something gun related slid into plain sight.

17. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

In the class I took for CCW the instructor touched on different scenarios regarding show or not show the CCW permit. He has a lot of friends on the local police force(s) and tghey alway consider it a plus when they get told up front. Then tend to appreciate being told up front rathern then finding out when running the license. He told a few stories regarding that situation, but the best, and the funniest was of a new CCW holder. When pulled over and the officer was approaching the car, he held his pistol out the window(not threatening) and yelled "I've got a gun". 3 squads and 6 officers later, and a couple of hours, it was all settled...a huge mis-understanding and a waste of time. He thought he had to tell the police he was armed and did it the most stupid way he could muster.

18. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

in va when they run you plate the dmv tells them your a ccw holder last 2 stops dwi check points they dident even ask
    and at a truck saftey inspection the state troope just wanted to check out my keltec because he was thinking about getting one him self he was to bizzey checking out my gun to even look at my truck. but i live in the sticks dont think it would be the same in the city

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

In the Constitutional carry states they can not check you out. There are no records on citizens who own or carry firearms. :)

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

The police in wisconsin dont know who has em and who doesnt other than by asking. If they ask the law we have says you have to hand over your ccw card.