The quietest rifle made...

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by HotGuns, May 18, 2012.

1. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

Here is a picture of an integrally suppressed .22. This is a Savage MK 2 that has had the barrel reworked by Thompson Machine. The barrel is ported so that any .22 ammo may be used, and it has a used friendly monolithic baffle stack that may be removed for cleaning.

Its quiet and its accurate. When I pullled it out of the case for the first time, the discussion at the range was if dry firing it was louder than the actual shot itself. This thing meters at 91 decibles when dry fired, 92 when its fired. For comparison, most BB guns measure around 99 to 100 when fired.

This is fast becoming my favorite rifle. The crows around here part like the Red Sea when I step out into the yard with it. They've already learned at what range to stay away.

Its fun to shoot, and when squirrel hunting with it, it adds a whole different dimension to it...they dont know that they are being shot at, so if there are several around, they dont run off and disappear.

[​IMG]

2. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

sounds pretty awesome. Crows and squirrels part like the Red Sea when I shoot my 12 ga, but it's probably because of the noise. Let's just say when I squirrel hunt they DEFINITELY know they're being shot at. :D

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Did you just send in the barrel? What kind of cost?

Sounds pretty awesome. Are those numbers with sub-sonic ammo?

4. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

The gun comes just like it is from Thompson Machine. The barrel is actually ported so that most any ammo can be used. In truth shooting CCI standard ammo isnt much different from shooting CCI subsonics.

They retail for 700+ tax. To me, its well worth it. With subsonic ammo it is stupid quiet, about like popping a staple gun. Of course, you must pay the tax stamp of 200 bucks to the ATF, so, with tax you are looking around 1000 bucks. Yeah, its a bit pricey, but as of right now, it is THE industry standard for quietness. There is nothing quieter.

5. Gloves

Gloves New Member

wish we could have cool toys like that in California.

why bolt action and not semi auto?

6. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

The semi auto is noticably louder than the bolt action due to the noice of the action and the bolt slamming back and forth.

Although my semi (Ruger 10/2 with integrally suppressed barrel) is pretty quiet, its not in the same league with the bolt action.

7. rfowlie

rfowlie New Member

the quietest rifle made

Because it's not an added on suppressor and just a shrouded barrel would that be legal in Calif.?

8. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

No. Everything is illegal in California except Sin.

9. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Any form of sound suppressor is illegal.

10. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

If you like guns and you live in California... you're pretty well screwed.

11. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I would think if you have to get a tax stamp, it's a suppressor.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

according to ATF regulations, if it even lowers the sound by one (1) decibel, then it is considered a suppressor and requires a tax stamp, fee and registration. doesn't matter whether the suppressor is intregal or an add-on type, if it reduces the sound it's a suppressor.

if you stick a 2 liter plastic soda bottle over the end of the barrel of a firearm and it reduces the sound, it's suppressor. anything that can reduce the sound, is a suppressor. if it's not registered with the ATF, then it's illegal.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  13. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Now...any idea if this would be legal in NY?

As far as I know, attachable supressors and threaded muzzles are a no-no..but this is integrally suppressed...is it removable??

14. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Exactly. The 2nd is my last day here.

15. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

If its not a bb gun, you almost can't own it here in California.

16. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Hot rifle! Even if I wanted to, I doubt it is legal to own such a gun in IL.