The PSP P7...

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by danf_fl, Oct 15, 2013.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

frame and trigger guard do get kind of warm with rapid shooting.

I tried mine against on a dueling tree with a young marine who was shooting an RIA 1911.

Burned my trigger finger on guard when unloading second mag.

2. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

They added a heat shield to the P7M8. As well as a change to the mag release.

3. msup752

msup752 New Member

I took mine out two days ago to hit falling plates. I had 2 mags and if I had any rounds left I would rapid fire them off.
    It took about 100 rounds before the underside got so hot it was downright painful to rest my trigger finger there. Mine is a PSP.
    These guns are outstanding for defensive use but would suck in combat.
    I wish I could get more of them but they are so expensive.

4. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I would love to own a P7M8 myself. They are uber expensive these days and getting higher and higher too. One day....

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A refinished PSP straight from HK will serve you just as well, for some $500 less. The trigger guard plastic insert will make a P7M8 gentler on your skin if you train with it in serial rapid fire drills. (Unless you wear gloves anyway) You also get a slightly bigger striker and the US type mag release, that's it. A P7M8 will likely be LE surplus changing hands, not redone and graded by HK. Something to consider.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  6. Morgo

Morgo New Member

Mines a PSP, it takes a bit more than a couple mags for it to get hot.

7. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Made me go hmm! I couldn't afford either as of now, so it's pie in the sky for me. I leaned more toward the M8 for the mag release.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

With that fine arsenal you got for trade?:D

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I learned the hard way that the only thing you get when you sell or trade a firearm (or guitar) is regret.

10. ca1survivor

ca1survivor New Member

I saw a PSP that was fitted with a heat shield from an M8 wish I would have inspected the work better, been thinking in buying a heat shield and try it, some cutting have to be done since the PSP has a shorter trigger guard.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The P7 is a marvel of engineering. On the other hand, not a very practical pistol today for any purpose. It is heavy for its size and round capacity. It shoots dirty because of the gas system. (HK enclosed a scraper tool for cleaning) The sights are small, forget the fiber optics and such.

It does not make much sense as the first or even second handgun. After paying $1500+ for a P7 you are still going to need a higher capacity handgun to compete AND a small lightweight one to carry.

Lastly, on the heat shield - it is overrated. Nice to have probably but not for a $300+ premium over the PSP. I have a German service P7, never burned my fingers. (If you want to go through a brick of ammo like a maniac, neither gun is for you anyway) A police trade-in P7M8 I "think" is more likely to have been shot a lot or beat up than a PSP resold by H&K.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  12. ca1survivor

ca1survivor New Member

I know this lawyer that all he and his wife owns are P-7s from PSP to M-8 and M-13I think he owns an M-10 too, not sure, he doesn't compete, they just go to the range with 4 to 8, P-7 and shoot one while the others cool off but he has the $$$ to own that many, I have seen more than 10.

13. boatdoc

boatdoc New Member

was offered 2 the other day--one is pristine but $2300 and the other has marks on the slide but was $1600--passed on both

I like the VP9 much more

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I see visiting Chinese in McLarens who drive like they had to buy the BMV to pass a test :)