The proud owner of a 1911!!!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by feedsasquatch, Sep 15, 2009.

1. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

So I did it. I bought a Colt Combat Commander. It was used, but has just about everything imaginable added to it, and was only $895 after it was all said and done. Here's the pics everyone's going to want:D

Attached Files:

2. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

another picture

Attached Files:

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Congratulations,

Congratulations,

Congratulations,

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Wow! I didn't know a Colt could look that good. Obviously it has aftermarket love on it. *baiting Cane* :cool:

Good looking pistol 'Squatch. Looks like it's been well maintained for a used gun. No tell tale sophomore scratch in the frame. :rolleyes:

Love the grips. And you have a National Match Barrel, so it should shoot like a laser.

I am looking forward to seeing your impressions shooting a 1911 instead of the tupperware. :D

Congratulations!! Welcome to the Fraternity!

JD

5. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Thanks Dillinger. It's been a long journey, but I think I ended up with a good gun. Hopefully I chose well getting this instead of the Kimber Ultra CDP. I know I'm going to like this more than my Glock. I shot my cousin's 70 series Gov't model, and it was love at first shot. This should be even better. I wonder when I can make it to the range this week, too bad I don't have any vacation time left this year, I could use some this week. Hmmm, I think I feel the swine flu coming on *cough cough*:D

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Welcome to the club and your first (probably not last) 1911. It looks read good and I think you'll like the fiber-optic sight. I have one on my S&W and I really like it for pin shoots. Good choice... Congrats...

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I like your thinking 'Squatch. Nobody wants a sick person coming in these days. ;)

I think you will really enjoy the way the 1911 trigger breaks and how much easier it is to get your rounds on target. Everyone I have taught to shoot, who has tried a 1911, loves the 1911. :D

Looking forward to your first range report.

JD

8. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Congratulations on a fine looking piece :cool:

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Beautiful....great choice! Welcome to the 1911 fraternity. Get ready for some "hazing!" It's what we do, so have a thick skin and a good sense of humor.

10. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

That's alright, I've been a proud Glock owner since May, and have received nothing but grief from 1911 owners since ;0)

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

feed, but, but, but.......it's black??

I just don't know what you and Dillinger see in black 1911s!

It is however, a COLT!!! And a great looking one at that! (except that black color thingie??)

Great size, Kart NM, hi-viz.........veeerrry nice Rampant Pony!

2849057005_2ebbbdf376_b.jpg

[​IMG]

Welcome to the fraternity. Now get 'er dirty with plenty of photos!

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's a sweet pistol. Ya' done good. :cool:

13. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Cane, now what do you have against black 1911's? I mean, that black duracoat finish is beautiful; and much, MUCH more pleasant to look at than stainless steel:p

Question, since it's going to be my carry piece, I need to get a good night sight (for the front) to replace the fiber optic one. Where should I look?

Also, I need an extra Wilson mag, or three (7 rounds). What websites carry them the least expensively these days? Everyone around here just has Wilson mags in 8 rounds...

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Can't see from the pix but is the front sight dovetailed? Brownells will have just about any kind of sights you want; however, if dovetailed you'll need to know the dimensions. I personally don't see the need for night sights myself as at defensive ranges you're generally point shooting anyway - but that's just my silly opinion. BTW, I like black 1911s...

15. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "dovetailed"?

I'd like night sights because my house is very dark at night, and the tritium sights on my Glock are very good if I ever have to shoot from my back bedroom wall to the hallway (5-6 yards). You just "never know"...

16. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

It means that there's a slot machined into the slide (which resembles a dove's tail) into which the sight is fit. Some front sights are just soldered onto the slide, dovetailed sights are easier to replace (just takes a few taps with a hammer) and can be adjusted for drift as well.

Here's a pic of a S&W wheelgun with a dovetailed front sight (taken from gunblast.com).

[​IMG]

17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Dovetailed means there is a triangular slot milled into the slide that the sight slides into. The rear sight will be dovetailed for sure...

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

tool.gif

Why? And I assume you are talking about Tritium sights?

Have you used these sights at night? Before you cash up $100 for the "night sights" PLEASE, find someone with them and ask to see them in true darkness.

• Take what they say about how great they are with a grain of salt, they just pissed a C-note way for what I feel is a gimmick!
    • They do work in total darkness, but what good are sights when the target is invisible and you need a flashlight?
    • The benefits evaporate after the first shot! FLASH!
    • They are extremely difficult to see/acquire in partial light. The Hi-Viz acquire much better/faster than they do in low light!
    • And you CAN NOT beat the Hi-Viz in sunlight!
    Save yourself a big buzzkill and spend the C-Note on a quality LED 300+ lumens tack light! Trust the old canebrake on this one.

My [​IMG] but if you gotta have them, go for it! [But promise me that if you do get the night sights and experience cognitive dissonance (buyer's remorse) that you Man-Up and tell the cane he was right! 'ole cane has made a few more circuits around the sun than most here and wish he had all the $ he pissed away on gun gimmicks!]

I will never buy another Wilson Combat magazine! I'm serious, and another cane suggestion; Call Shari Tripp, 1.877.837.9445 @ Tripp Research Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines and tell her that canebrake from FirearmsTalk.com sent you and you want to buy one 7R-45-WG. (7 round - 45 ACP -Welded Base Government/Commander)

Tell Shari if this Cobra Mag is half as good as canebrake says you'll be back for more! (Then ask her to send it with free shipping. Hey, 100% of the shots you don't take, miss!)

Try them, you won't look back! Like I said above; "Trust the old canebrake on this one." [​IMG]

My [​IMG] but if you gotta have Wilsons, go for it!

A caneisim: "Never, did I say never buy what I like on my gun, ALWAYS buy what you like! Otherwise you will be carrying my gun on your hip!" [you could do much worse, I'm just sayin'.]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Aha........wisdom.....[​IMG]

Just when I decide to pay a complement! [​IMG]

BLACK IS RESERVED FOR LONG GUNS!! [​IMG]

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I humbly disagree with the previous posts by the old guys with old eyes. :cool:

I have night sights on all my pistols and I do not have any problems acquiring targets anywhere.

With the added night sight ability, I can transistion from bright, well lit surroundings, into dimly lit, smokey environs and still stay on target.

This was proven 100% effective in my run through Valhalla training Center's indoor "staged" shooting scenarios that exposed me to bright spotlights, disco lights, partial darkness and complete darkness where only the targets were lit by my instructor with a flashlight, or by a subtle back lit.

In my mind, there is no good arguement for NOT having night sights on your personal defense pistol, assuming you have good eyesight and are willing to practice with the damn thing. :p

JD