The powers's gone, now what?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by CA357, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm quite concerned about EMP and power loss in general. For the sake of this thread, let's explore the various aspects of power down.

EMP will disable darn near everything, cars, computers, communication and so on. A long term power outage if just the grid should go down will also have nasty results. Refrigeration goes, hospitals can't store blood, plasma, organs and medications that require refrigeration.

Food will spoil. Freezers and refrigerators won't work. Food will become scarce.

Our beloved internet will be toast. Most communication will be toast.

The books that everybody is stockpiling on assorted readers will be gone. Electronic knowledge will be lost at least temporarily.

I'm old fashioned and buy actual books because of these possibilities. I have a portable generator and it may work after an EMP event, but gasoline is finite. After such an event, refineries and gasoline distribution will be almost, if not completely nonexistent.

Okay folks, let's discuss this.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. orangello

orangello New Member

Don't forget that I and many like me will be hoping we didn't lock the electronical gun safe lock. D'oh. Not to even mention the loss of Angry Birds.

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Found this, Its a interesting read.... AusSurvivalist - EMP Protection

Im not too worried... I have a generator that would be used for the essentials (well, refrigeration, ect.) Im trying to make a garden of native edible plants that dont consume too much water..

All my vehicles are pretty old, so I think anything that "fried" could be repaired or bypassed. A friend and I are working on a way to make alcohol out of a "readily" available resource here in the desert. Ive been thinking of converting my 9n tractor (as a added "bonus" I could crank start it as well)
    All it would require is to change a few seals in the carb to handle the alcohol.
    Hey it worked for the moonshiners and early racers...

I will still have to look in to diesel as thats what my gener. runs off of. But I hear its not too hard.

I think the barter system could come into play as well...

Im really behind on the times despite being young.. I wont miss much of the electronics, the worst would be the loss of communications.. But Ill survive..

As for books.. I find it so irritating to read a book off a screen, and prefer real books.. (I like your library thread on the other forum)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ink on paper is not affected by EMP. A few shielded devices in Casa C3 will make it (non-solid sate geiger counter, etc). Small farm equipment with a magneto ignition will survive- and I can run it on alcohol. Where would I get alcohol? Say- you got a warrant, buddy? :rolleyes:

Have a work-around for anything electrical. Unshielded devices will likely fry, along with the power grid. Refrigeration? Gone. Know how to smoke/dry/salt/pickle/can? Heating? Wood. Cooking? Wood. How to get wood? Crosscut saw, axe, splitting maul. Water? We have a well- and rope/pulley/bucket backup. Keep meaning to buy a hand pump, will keep an eye out at farm auctions (can build one if I have to, but rope/bucket worked for my grandparents)

Things you will miss when mass production, transportation, and sales go away? Coffee, sugar, and toilet paper are HIGH on that list, along with salt, soda, and baking powder. I can make soap, but toothpaste is another matter.

5. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Early morning urine is a good replacement for toothpaste. Helps you cut down on your water wasting, too.

6. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

I didn't even think about that? I have an electronic E-Lock on my safe! I'm pretty much prepared as far as food and water. I have about a six month supply of Mountain House freeze dried food and an additional 10 cases of military MRE'S. I'm on a well and have a nice deep pond on my property and 5- fifty five gallon water drums, with some five gallon ones for the sink, etc. So, with my Berkley water filter, I'm set for water. We be haven a 5,000 watt emergency generator but, I normally don't store more than 5-10 gallons of gasoline. That's enough to fire up some power tools to drill and cut into my safe to get the guns :mad:

We got's a wood burning stove and a winters supply of firewood stacked and ready to go in addition to a kerosene heater and 15 gallons of kerosene. The pond has lot's of blue gill, bass and cat fish if need be. More deer than you can shake a stick at.

A diesel Kabota tractor and diesel Dodge Ram pick-up truck with all the attachments. Ten acres of property to grow a garden if need be, and half a dozen chickens producing 6 eggs daily.

Security will be the big issue for us. Even well armed, we would be no match for a gang of motor cycle zombie guys. I suspect we will be much better off here in the country than a urban setting though.

To be better prepared there's allot of stuff I need to get such as: a supply of toilet paper, dish soap, gas, oil, spare parts, bottled propane, etc.

Oh well, according to the book, Kroger will be open for a long time after the EMP, so I'll stock up $50.00 at a time :D

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

:D That's hilarious! :D
    I've known models who had used it on their faces.
    Great acne killer! :)

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Check the bottom, if it isn't bolted to the floor.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

And for this group, primers, brass, and slugs. Or do you all have muzzle loaders? Still, that leaves gunpowder, unless you're grinding it by hand. (Not really a good idea.) I remember it being 75% saltpeter, 15% charcoal, and 10% sulfur. Although when I made it, it burned hotter without the sulfur.

How were barrels rifled before the industrial revolution?

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Here(like most everywhere) water would be the BIG issue. I have a plan but an EMP would hurt my plan,though not ruin it.

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

EMP generally implies a H-bomb. If those babies start popping off the least of your worries would be something to read or chit-chat on the net.

If there was a full exchange of these toys, say with China or Russia, you wouldn't need to worry too much about your garden tractor either; nuclear winter would pretty much ruin your garden. Survival after such an event might be possible, for a while, but it would probably be much better to be at ground zero and be vaporized in a milisecond. There are some things you would not want to survive.

12. patkinney1

patkinney1 New Member

ON GBTV they just had CIA agent on who was undercover in IRAN. He said that Iran is working on a EMP attack on us and CIA figures that about 200,000,000 of us will die in first year:eek: Yes I know we will hit them back with our nuclear weapons but that still leaves 200 million of us are going to die!

13. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

I'm going to go ahead and call bull****. No government would openly plan an attack against us, and if the CIA knew of it, it would already have been stopped. That would be enough for us to declare War and get the UN to support it.

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Ploofy, I disagree. There are a number of Countries and organized groups that have openly declared their intent to do away with the good old USA.

15. c3shooter

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

History Channel's Armageddon was eye opening...
    Salt will be a precious commodity
    Our dependence on medicine will become an issue
    Few people can survive for more than a few days, and most of those will struggle to live through one set of seasons.

17. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

If you can find the Foxfire books there is a chapter on a fellow that rifles his own barrels. He had a bench and a set up to actually pull a cutter through the barrel.
    If,and its a big if, you can find the Foxfire series I highly reccomend getting them all.

18. c3shooter

Amazon.com- Foxfire- fairly cheap.

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The old diesels are entirely mechanical once they are running. The tough part is getting them started.

I wonder if the EMP would delete my solar panels? Certainly it would kill the inverters, but the panels themselves I think would survive. They put out AC current as long as there is light (just try grabbing the leads to test this out. It's funny to watch!).

20. shadamai

shadamai New Member

The biggest thing to go if electricity goes will be most people's water supply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.