The Power of Words

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by JTJ, Apr 18, 2011.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Obama's speech writers are master word smiths and we have to become masters too. We can shout and argue but if we dont put the message across in a way that influences, we might as well say nothing. Here is a small example of the power of words and a link to more examples.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - The Power of Words[/ame]

2. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Very good insight JTJ. Around 30 years ago our company decided that if you were directly responsible for or had a staff of at least 6 persons, a mandatory "people" management class was required.

Most of us had sat thru at least one of these boring lectures in college and knew it was going to be a PITA. Boy was I wrong!

I can't remember the gentlemans name but he was affiliated with Dartmouth College and he was good! Part of his time, maybe 30 minutes was just on the power of words. It was fascinating stuff. Some of it I had never considered and most of it I've never forgotten.

One thing I brought away that day was the way words could be used to destroy, especially in the media. He stressed that no lies were even necessary, 100% truthfull statements could be as damaging as a lie, it is all in the presentation! We are seeing more and more questionable "facts" in the media everyday. :mad: Ken

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you go to the video link, there is a lot more to see. Just click on the top of the video.