The perfect lightweight rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by nikoko199, Apr 20, 2011.

1. nikoko199

nikoko199 New Member

I am new to the hunting experience and looking for a lightweigth rifle that will give me no problems on long hikes. I have heard, for an all around caliber, to go with a .270 or a .270 WSM. Being new i am not sure of all the different calibers. My shots are going to be between 250-450 yards. Any suggestions?

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

What is it you're going to be hunting? In Wyoming, it could be anything from prairie dogs to elk (to bears?), so that would be good to know.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

.270 is a lot of round.

That means a long action boltgun. To shave weight you can purchase one with a lightweight synthetic stock and a thinner than normal barrel profile ( referred to as pencil thin or just pencil barrels ).

A wide, heavily padded sling will help with weight distribution.

What are you going after, animal wise??

And how good of a shot are you that you are considering 450 yard shots? :confused:

Can you surely and effectively dispatch said animal in a clean and efficient manner at that distance to insure it does not suffer?

JD

4. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

As JD stated, you're going to end up with a long action if you go with a .270 which equates to more weight. I n my opinion (repeat, in MY opinion) the short mags, super short mags, super duper short mags etc. don't do anything that a plain Jane old fashioned "traditional" round won't do. I'd look to something in 6.5mm or 7mm caliber for the ranges you are mentioning.

Those calibers have the best selection of bullets with good sectional density, which in turn equates to good ballistic coefficient.

If I were faced with a similar quest, given your area and range requirements, I'd look hard at any number of manufacturers that offer a light weight barreled short action, synthetic stocked rifle in 7MM-08. Others may offer better alternatives.

5. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Quick catalogue search - Remington only

Remington-Arms-Model-Seven-CDL-Centerfire-Rifle

More of a woods rifle; shot-action, shorter stock for easy handling and fast pointing. Good for shorter ranges.
    [​IMG]

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Mountain LSS - Remington Centerfire Rifles

My choice given your needs. Can be had in the long-action .270 or short action 7mm-08. Capable of making longer accurate shots.
    [​IMG]

As I said, I only looked at Remington, I'm sure there are many other rifles out there that will suit your need.

6. Pineywoodshunter

Pineywoodshunter New Member

You might research a tikka t3 lite ss rifle. 6.3 pounds plus your scope. .270 is availible. 30-06 would be my choice.

7. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

If you don't mind spendin a bit more on a really nice carbine size bolt gun check out the Ruger Gunsite scout rifle. Its got a lightwieght 16" barrel and its in .308. Go to Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

What are you going to be shooting?

Yeah, 30.06 is sort of my all around choice for anything,

but I'm a little old fashioned.

How much other gear are you hauling with you?

What's the terrain?

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Again, what game and what constitutes a long hike and type of terrain?
    A .270 would not be my 1st choice as it is a long action. I did start w/ a 7mm Rem Mag years ago for the same purpose, though my rifle is a Sierra light Savage. 8.5 pounds w/ scope. I've transitioned to a Husqvarna 1600(small ring '98 action) in 6.5x55. Rifle and scope are under 7 pounds w/ a 22 3/4 inch barrel. I have it set up w/ a 4x32mm ballistic plex reticule scope for up to 300+ yard shots without having to touch anything. You'll get tired walking all day and it is amazing at the time it takes to adjust a scope when a shot does present itself. With other rifles I keep a cheat sheet w/ me to adjust my scope. For example, I am zeroed at 200 yards w/ my 7mm Mag, a 500 yard shot presents itself. Bullet drop will be (fictitious numbers) 18", 4 moa or 16 clicks on a 1/4" scope. You are trying to watch your game, and adjust your scope. Did I just hit 12 or 16 clicks? Damb, I lost count because the game was starting to move and will be out of sight quickly. There is nothing worse then an animal that has been hit low, and not in the vitals and runs. It will die a slow death. Everything is a compromise when picking a hunting rig. The hunters knowledge of his equipment and his skill is the key. There is more to it then a rifle caliber.

10. nikoko199

nikoko199 New Member

I will be hunting mostly antelope and both mule and whitetail deer. Elk is definitley a possibility in the future.

Terrain is pretty rocky is a long mountain range.

I will be hauling an average of 10 lbs worth of gear

As for the 450 top distance, my father in law and i have been doing target practice with his rifle, which i believe is a .300, at 600 with about an 2 inch spread. I am looking to hunt and shoot with my own gun instead of having to borrow one.

Dont know to much on short mags either so i am more than willing to look into them

11. nikoko199

nikoko199 New Member

really like the model seven, light weight and affordable the only question i got is what is the maximum effective range for a point target?

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

IMHO A 2" group at 600 yds is phenomenal and frankly hard to believe from a hunting rifle. 6" would be more believable and still extremely good shooting.
    Light weight and good accuracy dont always go together but there are some good guns out there. The Tikka T3 Lite as mentioned earlier is guaranteed 1 MOA for 3 rounds with quality ammo and is available in 270 which is an excellent cartridge. It is also available in 270 and 300 short mags. The T3 Hunter is a little heavier. Shooting Elk at 400yds to 600 yds would seem to require a heavier round like the .300 WM for a clean kill. Some of the new short mags might work but I am not all that familiar with them. A light rifle in a mag is going to have some recoil.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  13. nikoko199

nikoko199 New Member

as soon as i figure out the cables i will let you know of the 732 yard deer shot my father in law had this past hunting season

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

A 2 inch spread at 600 yards?!? With a hunting rifle?!

I am going to have to call BS there. 6" at 600 is considered Minute of Angle and with a factory gun and good conditions most shooters would be lucky to get that at that distance.

To obtain 2" at 600 yards you would have to have a purpose built weapon, reloaded your ammo and/or be one hell of a great shot.

Attempting to take animals at extreme ranges is unethical in my opinion and runs counter to what most true hunters strive for in their adventures.

JD

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IF all you are hauling is 10 lbs. of gear, rifle weight shouldn't be much of an issue. Depending upon your physical conditioning,

overall carry weight should be no more than 20 to 33 % of your overall weight. Purist backpackers try for 15% or less.

First Q: What do you weigh(?) X @ 25%(1/4 of total body weight) Even if you're 150lbs, you have a 30-40 lb. comfortable

haul weight pack ratio, if you're fit, and don't smoke.

What's going to be tricky is actually doing that. How does your hydration system work? How much water will you haul with you?( at @2 lbs per Qt...)

As to ranges and MOA, a little stalking is going to save a world of bad shooting. If you can close 100 or 150 yards nearer than your maximum

distance, the shot not only becomes ethical, but more likely overall.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Check out the Kimber 84M or the Browning X-bolt. Both those rifles offer lightweight (especially the Kimber), and perform with better than average accuracy.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Hell, My fanny pack for day hunting weighs more then 10 pounds.
    Extra 10 rounds of ammo, survival lantern, skinning and gutting knife, AA Mag light, 1st aid stuff, pair of gloves, A couple cans of grapefruit juice 4oz each, Munches, trail mix. Compass, GPS(which I've never used), pen, light sticks, 2 way radio(when I go with a partner), Water 1 qt., Hell, my water is 2 pounds.
    Don't forget the extra napkins from dunkins to take care of hygiene. Map.
    Never to be forgotten, a side arm. add 3 pounds.

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Still, at 20% of body weight, even at 150LBS(How much do you weigh, OP?),

he claimed to carry 10 Lbs, so that leaves 20lbs for the loaded rifle.

Plenty of leeway there, even for a small guy, even humping thru the mountains.

IF all his gear is 10 LBs, as he claims...

19. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Well,I would suggest a 25/06 or 7mm-08 if you are mainly planning on hunting pronghorn,whitetail,and muley's.They will also do the job on elk at under 300yrds,over that range,I'd plan on a larger caliber.A 30/06 will do just about anything you want,but in a lite weight rifle,recoil might be an issue.
    The Tikka T3 Lite is a great choice for a lite weight rifle,and very accurate out of the box.

20. wilber1

wilber1 New Member

.270, 7mm mag, 30-06 are all fine choices for the game you describe.The 270 is very flat shooting, as is the 7mm mag with more punch. The 30-06 has about a zillion different loads you can buy off the shelf. I do not own one myself, but a guy who hunts the same land I do in Wisconsin has a tikka in 30-06 and it is noticably lighter than both my Remington 270 and Savage 7mm mag.

p.s. Before someone slams the 270 as too small for elk, yes, many believe it is a bit light. I would rank it as a minimum for an adult male to use for elk. I have known youth and women who have filled their tags with a 243.