Firearms Talk banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
When I was in school, a buddy of mine bought a Cadillac hearse from a funeral home that was going out of business. He got it for a great price,paint,body,and about everything else on it were outstanding. Of course mileage was incredibly low for its years. He converted the back to be a hunting and fishing vehicle, rod holders,gun racks, storage areas, etc., it was a fine outfit except he did tend to get some strange looks cruising around and his girlfriend would not get in the back with him.

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
When I was in school, a buddy of mine bought a Cadillac hearse from a funeral home that was going out of business. He got it for a great price,paint,body,and about everything else on it were outstanding. Of course mileage was incredibly low for its years. He converted the back to be a hunting and fishing vehicle, rod holders,gun racks, storage areas, etc., it was a fine outfit except he did tend to get some strange looks cruising around and his girlfriend would not get in the back with him.
You can still buy hearses cheaply. I would have had one years ago, but I would have to get a new wife to go with it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had PERFECT autos for my life style through the years, 67 HO fire bird. 71 cuda, 70 Blazer, many 80's Blazers, two 73 Vette's.... One 72 Vette, numerous shortbox trucks,
I agree

It's a vehicle that's ugly to boot. New Toyota trucks are the only big pooch haulers that have looks halfway worth a damn. None of the 21st century vehicles have that nice style as 20th century vehicles did. Style is timeless and fashion's only now.

Those 1979 Mercedes wagons would have been a great pooch-hauler for a young upper-class bachelor with money. I'm not sure how powerful the engine options were on those though.
I gotta agree.... All the Fords, Chevy, Dodge trucks all the same going down the road... Ya can't tell who is waving at ya, they all look the same now... NONE stand out unless customized... I'm not a Toyota guy. I am GM.... But the Toyota is a beefy truck since the early 80's.... They also had nice Clean tolerance on engines in old 80's trucks that run 300K......

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had a 1985 Toyota 4x4 truck I used for fishing, hunting... Bought it for $300.00 ... Front was like new, box was rotted.. I put on a BRAND NEW box, Clutch, brake lines, then repainted truck... I had $1500.00 in truck. Looked and drove like NEW.... I put 300K on it. Sold it for $1200.00 still like new, put 15.00 in gas and drive that 4 cyl. for weeks hunting fishing LOL... I did cut outs on the fenders, installed Bush Wacker flares with 33in. tires, Ran Aluminum Diamond Plate down the lowers full length... Awesome little truck...

Reactions: Clifffalling

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I had a 13 4 Runner that I wish I never sold.
It was trouble free.
I've also had 2 ford Expeditions (a 99 and an 04) and they were trouble free also.
Probably the worst vehicle the wife and I had was an 84 sedan de ville cadillac. She inherited it from her mother.
It was appropriately LEMON yellow in color.
I could write a book on that POS. Didn't even drive it off the lot for 1/16th of a mile and the "intercoursing trunk lid" started doing it's up and down thing.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
The perfect vehicle is a 4x4 F550 with a 10' dump bed, a 7.2 International diesel, and a pintle hitch. Wired and plumber for trailer brakes of course.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had a 13 4 Runner that I wish I never sold.
It was trouble free.
I've also had 2 ford Expeditions (a 99 and an 04) and they were trouble free also.
Probably the worst vehicle the wife and I had was an 84 sedan de ville cadillac. She inherited it from her mother.
It was appropriately LEMON yellow in color.
I could write a book on that POS. Didn't even drive it off the lot for 1/16th of a mile and the "intercoursing trunk lid" started doing it's up and down thing.
That is FUNNY... My wife had a 85 Cadillac Eldorado, Trunk lid did same thing LOL. People would honk at her at stop lights, yell HEY ya know your truck lid is going up/down LOL... The old clear plastic solenoid thing. Then the timing chain gear went, was a nylon one. Then the heads leaked coolant. I went to replace head gaskets and aluminum block with steel head bolts GRRRRRRR. Car was great in snow front wheel drive.

Reactions: formerCav

·
Registered
155 Posts
My perfect vehicle came out in 2016 and I bought one. See, I hunt and camp, haul firewood, and occasionally need to tow a decent weight trailer. None of this is done super regularly so a full size truck is not needed. First truck was a 1996 S-10. When I bought it, I had to decide between power to pull a decent weight trailer and get worse gas mileage the rest of the time during daily driving or get decent mileage while daily driving and not have the power to pull a decent weight trailer. I chose the latter and got the 2.2L 4 cylinder engine instead of the 4.3 V6. See, I wanted car mileage with truck capability and that's a hard combo to find. Second truck was a 2005 Chevy Colorado. Basically the same choices although the gap narrowed between the 2 engine choices. I chose the 2.8L 4 cylinder engine over the 3.5L 5 cylinder engine. I just couldn't justify the gas mileage hit of the bigger engine for the few times per year I needed more power.

During the time I owned these trucks, I kept thinking that a small diesel engine in this size truck would satisfy both of my needs. Good mileage while daily driving and enough power to pull a decent weight trailer the few times a year I needed to do that. I even toyed with the idea of putting a small diesel in my 1996 S-10 when it got older. Maybe a 4 cylinder diesel out of a Volkswagen or something but it always seemed like a job that I didn't have time nor money for so I settled with what I had.

That brings us to 2016. The Chevrolet Colorado came out with a 2.8L 4 cylinder turbo diesel option. Finally! My holy grail was here! Tow rated at 7700 lbs and rated at 30 mpg on the highway. I scooped it right up. Daily driving with a mix of city and highway gets me about 26-27 mpg which beats my other 2 trucks in daily driving mileage. On the highway, it beats my other two trucks as well and gets a lot better than 30 mpg. One 600 mile trip when all the conditions were just right, I got 36.6 mpg for the entire trip. 34 mpg is the norm for highway mileage. And towing you ask? I have pulled my ~4000 lb travel trailer on 4 different 1500 mile trips (750 miles each way) and it pulls it very nicely. No downshifting to extreme on hills like most smaller gas motors and 15.5 mpg to boot. So basically, car like mileage for the majority of my driving and power to tow and haul when I need to use it like a truck. All in one vehicle. No having a car for a daily driver and a truck for hauling and towing with two vehicles to insure, license , and do maintenance on. No driving a vehicle that gets bad gas mileage just so you can have the power to pull something a handful of times per year. It, for my needs, is the perfect vehicle.

Reactions: formerCav

·
Registered
449 Posts
My Samurai is really not perfect at anything, but it is a whole lot fun:)
LOL... I did lettering on front of one back in 80's I think it was for a kid. it said ( Puddle Jumper) LOL... He had few kids in rear and it almost tipped over on corner he said LOL.. Reminds me of the little Chevy Tracker was it?

Reactions: Maineiak

·
Registered
449 Posts
BLUE TRUCK.JPG
Had a old F-150 Straight 6, standard floor truck shift with 33 or 36in tires. I had for hunting. That old 6 would pull trees out of ground LOL... 55mph SCREAMING LOL... Sold to some kid for $1000.00. He brought his Dads trailer and drove the old Clutch slipping F-150 up on trailer... No bad rust on it.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Au contraire. 2 perfect autos
View attachment 235540 View attachment 235538
They're what I call "family cars"
When you get tired of the family, jump in and forget all your cares!
And a maintenance schedule and cost to match, no doubt. (I wouldn't know.)

"Proof":

Owner: "Engine's running a bit rough, the past week."
Mechanic: "Codes #249 and #18G. Engine's shot. That'll be $145,250, plus installation."
Owner: "Perfect. Juuuuust perfect!"

:D

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Sure they did.. But it was made by a tractor company - The Scout II.. :)
international 1979 scout-1.jpg

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
in re hearses and ambulances: last I looked, you could get a basket case for $1500, a roller for $2500, a runner for $4500. 1949 - 1973, pretty much the same.

except a '59. 59s are much higher. a '59 Meteor Miller is off the scale. reason: Ghostbusters.

my dream car: the 1959 Superior Rescue:

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
in re hearses and ambulances: last I looked, you could get a basket case for $1500, a roller for $2500, a runner for $4500. 1949 - 1973, pretty much the same.

except a '59. 59s are much higher. a '59 Meteor Miller is off the scale. reason: Ghostbusters.

my dream car: the 1959 Superior Rescue:

It would be fun to see what the "*****in Rides" guys could do with this one! :D

ellis

21 - 37 of 37 Posts