The Pedersen Device

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by DrumJunkie, Jun 28, 2013.

1. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The Pedersen Device: The WWI super-weapon that (almost) won the war

I haven't seen anything about this before here and I happened across the article and thought y'all might like it.

Read about the Peterson Device here.

Making an 03 into a completely different rifle had to be pretty wild at the time. I've never seen one of these devices in the real world. I'd love to check it out though.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The military adopted Thompson's .45 acp trench broom instead. Because of ammunition availability, lethality, and capacity I guess.

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The one gun I want to own is a full auto tommy. Oh, I so wish it so, so bad.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you plan to return to the states?

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Nope. So no tommy gun for me. So, maybe I will have to buy another cool weapon over here. A non-AR PDR, maybe a tactical AK from CZ or HK carbine in .45 acp maybe?

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have a half dozen rounds of .30 Pedersen ammo, courtesy of a generous member here. The Pedersen device was in the field in 1918. The Thompson was not in production until after WW 1 was over.

If you visit the National Firearms Museum at the NRA HQ in Fairfax VA, over in the WW 1 display is a rifle with a Pedersen Device installed.

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

There were a number of 1903 Spflds. with Pedersen cuts. These rifles had a large slot milled in the left side of the action. This allowed the insertion of a long stick magazine. A Pedersen Devise is extremly rare.:(
    These were never manufactured or issued to troops as planned. The German Mauser C96 "Broom" was a much superior weapon. The idea of a small caliber military rifle remained shelved until WWII. In WWII the small pistol caliber M-I Carbine became a legend.:)

8. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Yep, full production was not started until 1921 and the first model was designated the M1921.
    Thompsons were still in use by the US, Korean and Vietnamese forces until 1971. Many of the Thompsons along with thousands of American and foreign produced weapons were dumped into the sea as we begain troop withdrawals. Faster and cheaper to dump them rather than ship them home.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Cheaper than shipping these arms home? Very doubtful conclusion. The "Tommy" gun was the assault weapon of the "Trans War" period in the U.S. The full autos could be owned shipped in the mail etc.
    Criminals did use some mostly stolen from police and National guard. The entire crime wave of the depression was blamed on the Thompson. The Liberal Democrats finally pushed through the taxation bill in 1935 effectively limiting their use. :(

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

Very interesting. I only read a little bit of it, basically until I understood what it is. When I get home I'm gonna finish reading it. Still, very cool.

11. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

A friend of mine has an 03 with an original Pedersen Devise and I have had the privilege and honor to having fired it. It was a great experience to fire a rare piece of history.

Jim......

12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Was the ammo the same as the 30 Mauser??

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

If I remember correctly, it was a 7.65X20mm straight wall rimless cartridge. The U.S. designation was "Cartridge Caliber .30 Model of 1918", or ".30-18 Automatic". The cartridge had the same dimensions as the French 7.65X20mm.
    Jim...................................

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

MasterP- good recall!

30 ped ammo box.jpg

30 ped ammo.jpg

15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks guys. I had heard was the same, but it is not.:)