"The Pacific" on HBO

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by lonyaeger, Mar 5, 2010.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

From Hanks and Spielberg, who brought you "Band of Brothers" (IMO, the best DVD ever made).

Starts March 14. I can't even say how many times I've watched "Band of Brothers"...too many to count.....but I'm excited about this!

HBO: The Pacific: Homepage

2. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

i really need to get HBO :(

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I don't normally get HBO, but I'm gonna dive in for this one.

4. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Band of Brothers was on here free-to-air, but true to usual form the station (Channel 7) broadcast it irregularly & late at night, as seems to happen with many good imported shows. Let's hope they do better with The Pacific...it looks awesome :) We have to wait until it has finished the US screening before we get it though.

The R&R scenes were filmed in Melbourne:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saMsf0-VUc0]YouTube - 'The Pacific' filming on Flinders Street[/ame]

(ha look at the old trams lol)

5. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I plan on making the attempt to watch this HBO series. My Father fought in the Pacific Theater in the Marine Corps during WWII. He was also with Chesty Puller's bunch during the Korean conflict.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

My Dad, too, in the Army. He was taken POW in the Phillippines (Corregidor) and sent to a camp in Manchuria for four years.

He LOVED Band of Brothers. Just wish he was here to see the "Pacific" version. :(

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

***BUMP*** is anyone else going to watch this?

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Man wife said I can't have HBO? I will have to wait till it comes out on Blu-ray.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, I signed up for HBO just because of this!

10. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I'll be getting it on Blu Ray the day I get back.

This is one show I don't wanna spoil with a hadji copy.

11. user4

user4 New Member

Good start to the series. Has some mighty big shoes to fill since Band of brothers was so epic.

12. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I don't see why it couldn't be historically accurate. No one knows how they'll react under enemy fire until they're "in it" so to speak. Shell shock. Combat fatigue. So many names for a physical or emotional breakdown in the middle of a firefight.

In basic training, they can't really put you under the kind of stress you'll face on the battlefield. When I went through basic (1975) the only "incoming" fire we faced was when they took us downrange behind a huge berm and fired various weapons over our heads to teach us the "crack -thump" method to determine the distance and location of someone shooting at us. The "crack" being the round (going supersonic) flying overhead and then counting until we heard the "thump" which was the muzzle report of the weapon. Time gave distance and the thump gave direction.

13. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

14. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Same case for one of my relatives, survived the Bataan Death March and couple of years in a jap POW camp in China. Was killed by our own bombers in a raid.

Good they did a series, the Pacific was a secondary effort for US resources, and is neglected in our history somewhat. There were so many screw-ups in the prosecution of the fight (at the strategic level) compared to Europe. And guys were on their own for the most part with the lines of communication stretched so far. Will be interesting to see how they approach the subject in the series.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I hope to get the DVD's for Dad. He really enjoyed Band of Brothers.

One of the main things both of my nephews remember from high school is this local Veteran who made that imfamous march & who comes to the local high schools every year to tell the kids his story. His story makes quite an impression; i regret i didn't hear it in school.

16. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Pacific on HBO

Well I missed the first episode but HBO has the on-demand feature so I'll try and watch tonight for sure by the end of the week, it'll be interesting to see if they can do as fine of a job on this series as they did on "Band of Brothers"

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

My opinion of Tom Hanks is WAY different than it used to be since he went the way of all the other left-wing celebrities, but he still does good stuff.

I thought the first episode was very much like "Band of Brothers," but it got off to a pretty slow start. I expect it will get much better as the series progresses.

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Sorry to dig up this thread, but just finished the third episode. REALLY disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much after "Band of Brothers."