The "One slightly ragged hole" Grins

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by c3shooter, Jan 11, 2009.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, had been experimenting with different rounds for an old (1943) Mossberg 44US. Today was quiet at the range, and I was testing some Fiocchi Match, Lapua Master, and Dynamit Nobel R-50. Had already been thru the usual suspects- Tenex, Green Tag, Champion Gold, etc.

Midafternoon the wind died off completely. Had just put up some new targets on the 50 yd line. The Fiocchi was pretty good stuff- but the Lapua was better yet. Then I loaded up 5 rounds of the R-50. Oh YUCK- stuff felt like it had been dipped in Vaseline! Take about over-lubed. Oh well, let's see how it does... Snuggle down good in the sandbags, breathe, breathe, breathe, pause, squeeze- Hmm- right in there (have scope dialed to offset strike from aim point by 1/2 inch. Next round- what the.... You mean I MISSED the target?!?! Kick the spotter scope to 30X, look HARD- No, I did not miss- there are two overlapping. Chamber the next- squeeze- repeat. 5 rounds in one hole- about 3/8ths of an inch. OK- do I stop now? NO! Shift to the next target down, breathe, squeeze..... And ANOTHER 5 rd group that can hide behind an aspirin. Oh, yeah- those two are gonna get signed by the range officer!:)

Best part? My shooting partner today is my grandaughter, who had been spotting for me. Looked thru the scope after last round, looked up, and said "Hey Gramps- that looks pretty darned good!".

I now plan to go stand on a exit ramp tommorrow with a cardboard sign that says "Will Work for AMMUNITION" . :rolleyes:

2. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

how old is your grandaughter?

3. c3shooter

THIS granddaughter (I remind them that I have more than one, so they are expendable :rolleyes:) is 12. She has been my shooting partner for 2 yrs. She shoots 22 rf- 50 and 100 meters. Still a bit small for my 30 cal stuff, but holds her own with an AR in 5.56 Does OK with a Ruger pistol (22) but her hands are still a little small for the grips. Lordy, what you can do with 12 yr old EYES and REFLEXES! She has decided one of my Mossberg 152s is HERS- and is eying the Mossberg 46B in the safe- for when she gets bigger. Her favorite T shirt is the one that says "Shoot like a girl- IF you can!"

4. Original

Original Member

c3shooter, Hehe, I have girls that can shoot too, pretty precious to watch a girl spank some ex GI's at the range, smile..

5. c3shooter

Original- One shooter made the mistake of telling her he thought itwas "cute" that I had a girl come shoot with me. She smiled, said "If you think it's cute, do you wanna bet 5 bucks on the next 5 rd group?" :D

6. Original

Original Member

c3shooter, I may have to steal the Tshirt idea, Hehehe..

I take it that she wins most of her bets too. :)

7. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

Have you tried the Remington 22T ammo?

8. c3shooter

Have not tried the 22T- will keep an eye out for some. The Lapua, Nobel R 50 and Fiocchi at running me about $20/50 rds. Federal Champion Target Standard Velocity has been good (not as good as the true match ammo) but can't get it lately. Rifle I am using just goes not like Tenex ot Green Tag.