Firearms Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
26,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, had been experimenting with different rounds for an old (1943) Mossberg 44US. Today was quiet at the range, and I was testing some Fiocchi Match, Lapua Master, and Dynamit Nobel R-50. Had already been thru the usual suspects- Tenex, Green Tag, Champion Gold, etc.

Midafternoon the wind died off completely. Had just put up some new targets on the 50 yd line. The Fiocchi was pretty good stuff- but the Lapua was better yet. Then I loaded up 5 rounds of the R-50. Oh YUCK- stuff felt like it had been dipped in Vaseline! Take about over-lubed. Oh well, let's see how it does... Snuggle down good in the sandbags, breathe, breathe, breathe, pause, squeeze- Hmm- right in there (have scope dialed to offset strike from aim point by 1/2 inch. Next round- what the.... You mean I MISSED the target?!?! Kick the spotter scope to 30X, look HARD- No, I did not miss- there are two overlapping. Chamber the next- squeeze- repeat. 5 rounds in one hole- about 3/8ths of an inch. OK- do I stop now? NO! Shift to the next target down, breathe, squeeze..... And ANOTHER 5 rd group that can hide behind an aspirin. Oh, yeah- those two are gonna get signed by the range officer!:)

Best part? My shooting partner today is my grandaughter, who had been spotting for me. Looked thru the scope after last round, looked up, and said "Hey Gramps- that looks pretty darned good!".

I now plan to go stand on a exit ramp tommorrow with a cardboard sign that says "Will Work for AMMUNITION" . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
962 Posts
how old is your grandaughter?

·
Administrator
26,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THIS granddaughter (I remind them that I have more than one, so they are expendable :rolleyes:) is 12. She has been my shooting partner for 2 yrs. She shoots 22 rf- 50 and 100 meters. Still a bit small for my 30 cal stuff, but holds her own with an AR in 5.56 Does OK with a Ruger pistol (22) but her hands are still a little small for the grips. Lordy, what you can do with 12 yr old EYES and REFLEXES! She has decided one of my Mossberg 152s is HERS- and is eying the Mossberg 46B in the safe- for when she gets bigger. Her favorite T shirt is the one that says "Shoot like a girl- IF you can!"

·
Administrator
26,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Original- One shooter made the mistake of telling her he thought itwas "cute" that I had a girl come shoot with me. She smiled, said "If you think it's cute, do you wanna bet 5 bucks on the next 5 rd group?" :D

·
Banned
414 Posts
Have you tried the Remington 22T ammo?

·
Administrator
26,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have not tried the 22T- will keep an eye out for some. The Lapua, Nobel R 50 and Fiocchi at running me about $20/50 rds. Federal Champion Target Standard Velocity has been good (not as good as the true match ammo) but can't get it lately. Rifle I am using just goes not like Tenex ot Green Tag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts