How do I justify to my wife that I need, not want, another rifle?
Well, it may or may not be true.How do I justify to my wife that I need, not want, another rifle?
Really? I believed you over looked something. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GUNS!!! PERIOD.Well, it may or may not be true.
If you want to upgrade from an old one, then sell your older one first.
I made a list once, and decided that 7 guns is about the max anyone would ever really need, across several calibre ranges --
- 22 LR handgun (pistol or revolver) for backpacking
- 22 LR rifle for rabbit / squirrel hunting (a 410 shotgun would also do well instead)
- semi auto ACP of some calibre for home defense
- handgun for your wife (pistol or revolver)
- combat 12 gauge as a backup for HD (or sporting shotgun with interchangeable barrels)
- scoped hunting rifle in a calibre large enough for all the game you take
- heavy revolver for campsite defense against large animals
That equals 7 exactly. None of these particular guns (firearms) will substitute for each other, so one of each makes perfect sense, if your family budget can afford it.
Otherwise I would go with the ball an' chain. Its easier than dating again, or being single again.
You could also ask her what is it that she wants that cost around $1000 and agree that she gets that while you get a new rifle, if you really need it.