The oil filter adapter scam

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by JWagner, Sep 11, 2013.

1. JWagner

JWagner New Member

You have probably seen those adapters that allow you to use an automotive oil filter as a suppressor. Usually all the proper legal stuff and stamps are recommended. Now we have a new guy offering what appears to be the same kind of threaded device as a "solvent trap " when cleaning your gun. I would certainly hope that very few folks buy these and use them for suppression without doing the legal stuff first. Their ad appeared in Shotgun News, so I went to their site for this:

http://www.infiniteproductsolutions.com/product-p/ss.12.28-3.4.16.htm

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i wouldnt call it a scam.

its a pretty clever way to filter and recycle used gun solvent.

if your stupid enough to shoot it with it on the gun and a filter on it with no tax stamp and get caught doing it, thats not a scam, just stupid on your part

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Only a retard would believe that is for cleaning guns!

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

The company that originally marketed the filter silencer also originally marketed the solvent trap.

5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I dont consider it a scam either. And no where does it advertise it as a silencer in any way.

6. RichNH

RichNH New Member Supporter

True, but then only a r*tard would believe that adding a handle on a rifle, or a barrel shroud, or a pistol grip makes it more dangerous (i.e., a dreaded assault weapon). That's the mental level of the gun-grabbers. ;)

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Isn't a barrel shroud that shoulder thing that goes up?

8. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

10 years in Club Fed and a $10,000 fine isn't worth it to get caught with one without a stamp.

9. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

Actually they are legal to have without a stamp. You can even attach it to your gun without a stamp. It only becomes illegal if you fire the firearm with it attached.

10. 1911love

1911love New Member

I wonder if the ATF would pursue charges if you fire the weapon with it attached but without a filter on the end? I wouldn't do it either way, just wondering how far they would take it.

11. hoovco

hoovco New Member

It's not acting as a suppressor. Just having a threaded fitting on the end of your rifle doesn't mean it's a class III item.

12. 1911love

1911love New Member

Makes sense. All my threaded muzzles that don't have attachments are covered with a screw on protector. I guess this could be considered a protector of the threads.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Humm? We all know this is very edgy. The BATFE will degree these illegal. After all they operate beyond the Democracy.:rolleyes:

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I can't tell you how tiresome it is to be tripping over those damned BATFE agents lurking about in my gun room and on my private range:mad:. I would never have such a device as that in my possession let alone mounted on my gun.

BTW, the stamped one, do you have to drill a hole in the bottom of the filter or does the first round through it take care of that? Just askin'.

15. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

They sell them on ebay for ten bucks.

16. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

First round makes the hole. Every round after that follows it. There are some good videos on youtube. I was actually shocked these worked as good as they did on the videos.

17. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

They may be effective, but they look like Fido's ***.

18. AR10

AR10 New Member

Site me the regs on that advice?

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I thought the best suppressors had water in them and they got increasingly louder as the water is dissipated with every shot. Is that a myth or is it true?

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i saw a YouTube video last year of some company doing some testing of their suppressors and they used that gell used for lubricating electrical wire when pulling it through long runs of conduit. they tested with and without it. there was a difference in the measured decibels when used wet over dry in the suppressor. it was very interesting.