the number of Alaskans on FirearmsTalk forums

Discussion in 'Alaska Gun Forum' started by Rex in OTZ, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

I see they have a Alaskan Forum.
    I never thought about the number of us there are.

Hi Im Rex in OTZ.
    Ive lived in Kotzebue since 1990.

2. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

You any kin to Sarah Palin?:D

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Rex- we have had at least a dozen folks from the Great land here at different times- some were stationed there, some lived there full time, some have fallen away from the forum.

Never knew you were from Kotzebue- had a classmate in the Advanced course who was the S-3 for the Eskimo Scouts unit there.

4. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

I think we all miss Anna_Purna

5. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Im what they call a civilian, I do reccollect when K-Town had Air Force stationed here (last gasp was mid 1990s) the AK National Guard Armory uptown now serves AK State Troopers as office space and as Kotzebue District Court House.

A little K-Town history (goes way back) involving military.
    June 1865 the Confederate Commerce Raider
    CSS Shenandoah operated in the deeper waters of Escholtz Bay to the south of here. Some the whaling ships botherd by the raider was the whaling sloop Louisiana which ran aground on shoals of Chamisso Island.
    Louisiana.*Whaling*ship. 297. 7/10/1865. 1827 1 mi N of Chamisso Island.
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/...ms-113596/www.boem.gov/.../2011_Shipwreck.pdf

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotzebue_Air_Force_Station

http://warthognews.blogspot.com/2012/01/10-80-0221-in-experimental-arctic.html?m=1
    On December 18, 1981, two A-10 aircraft arrived at Eielson from the Fairchild-Republic factory in Hagerstown, Md. The aircraft tail numbers were 80-221 and 80-222 ... the first two A-10s assigned to Eielson.

However, not long after arriving, 80-221 was repainted in an arctic camouflage scheme. This was done as an experiment for an upcoming exercise titled Operation Cool Snow Hog.

The exercise was held from March 8 to 16, 1982, at a forward operating location in Kotzebue, Alaska.

Cool Snow Hog represented the Air Force's first test of forward basing A-10s in Alaska. Overall, the plan called for the Air Force to fly 16 close-air-support sorties in support of the 3rd Scout Battalion of the Alaska Army National Guard.
    Over the following years, the forward operating location concept was tested through various operational readiness exercises and major joint forces exercises such as BRIM FROST, but they were never again referred to as Cool Snow Hog exercises.
    The buildings behind the warthog and snowhog the one to left is no longer around was the Ryan Air Service terminal, the rather largish hanger to the right is still owned by James Rood who used to operate North Western Aviation in 1980's and 1990's and is nou leased by the local Air Ambulance service.(spent way more hours wrenching Cessna's in that thing than I want to remember)

For a time Id aquired a 'my guess' ATG M1917 issued in this area, mine was a Oct 1918 marked Eddystone, sportized stock and a chamber rusty enuf to require a rod to eject the spent casing.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Territorial_Guard

My father in law was in the Eskimo Scouts during the 1950's used to carry a M1918 BAR, related how the guys
    could speak Inupaq in the clear on radio during manuvers because only Eskimos speak Eskimo. . . Well.
    Clyde was from Barrow AK.

http://www.altus.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123124768

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qtGXgLUrk0k[/ame]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  6. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

NOPE.
    Im still a bit sore about her bailing out during her term as Governor to go chase rainbows. :(
    I feel that if your going to shirk your responsibility and run away, you should at least accomplish something.

7. c3shooter

Rex- cool video! Thanx for sharing! (Although one wonders about finding THAT much daylight in Nome in the winter :p)

I was stationed at Wainwright, and did time with the Northern Warfare Training Center when it was based at Ft. Greeley.

NWTC-crest.jpg

We did not have dogs (other than one mascot per Bn) but we did have sleds- ahkios that WE towed on skis.

8. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

I take it that was Ft Wainwright . . . .Right?

9. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

I take it that was Ft Wainwright . . . . right?

Not the coastal native village between Pt Barrow and Pt Lay?

First time i went there was in early 1989 to replace a flat nose tire on a Cape Smythe Air Cessna 207A.
    they had to run caribou off the runway so we could land.
    local weather man said we have 11 hours 7 min of visible light now, a daylight gain over 7m 36s over yesterday.

Attached Files:

10. c3shooter

Yes, Ft. Wainwright. I did get around to some of the places with the wild, devil-may-care lifestyles of the rich and famous. Wise Man, Circle, Dead Man, Chicken, Dot Lake, Paxson Lake and the like. :D

We had one of the villages back in 1970 that their tractor (used to clear runway) broke down when runway was half cleared. We took one of our Caribous and flew a tractor in to them.

Not THAT kind of Caribou- THIS kind!

caribou.jpg

11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Id seen a air cargo charter outfit bring one in and used to sit on the ramp in front of the old Wien Air Terminal while flying blasting supplies down to Deering AK.

some place I have photos of Russian planes sitting on the OTZ ramp about 1989, at the time Id been baaed in Barrow and was on a rotation to maintain Cape Smythe Air planes based in OTZ.
    in those days all my work was done outdoors, so replacing a cracked cylinder on a Cessna 207A outdoors at -33F was common practice.

that huge hanger in background behind the Gray A-10 was base of operations for North Western Aviation in those days James Rood operated Cessna 188 Ag Trucks modified to deliver diesel fuel to gold miners, (2ea)Cessna U206G on floats during summer and on wheel skis in winter and Piper Super Cub PA-18 was tundra tires in summer and wheel skis in winter. That hanger has 6 oil fired heaters as you can see the 3 down wind ones in photo.
    all 6 could burn through 100 gallons of heating oil in 3 days.
    Jim never heated the whole hanger , he had a small Tee hanger inside the big hanger that could be heated.
    in days before the Tee hanger was a cold cold place to work, I remember replacing a alternator on one of his 206's in that hanger at -36F i had to hold my breath in order to see while changing that alternator, breath vapor would just obscure visibility.

12. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

No sir..not me..NO WAY...:crazy:

13. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I was thinking about her the other day...Whats the scoop..? Just disapeared..?

14. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I was born in Anchorage over 40 years ago. Never had the opportunity to return but would love to some day....

15. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

I don't have a clue. Sorry. Her postings about firearms and reloading were interesting. Plus the question---what does she realky look like.

16. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

When she came to OTZ, several times (in the bush we get all types), back when she was running for Governor she came through, then when she was passing legislation, she looks just like the photos.
    http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-296127

Back in 1990 filming Canadian singer KD Lang and old time actor Chuck Connors to shoot 'Salmon Berries' (the twin otter is Cape Smythe's N100AP) they shot the Red Rog Rotation flight scene inside the Alaska Air National Guard Hanger out by the large lagoon.
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0102829/

Just had DOI Secretary Jewell in for a look see, met with the current AK state big wigs.

http://www.adn.com/slideshow/photos-sally-jewell-visits-kotzebue-and-kivalina

http://m.newsminer.com/news/local_n...334-b688-11e4-b27a-6b32bd2520d4.html?mode=jqm

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  17. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Thats not even the coldest temperatures Id worked in, all my work was completed at night when the aircraft could be ready to run schedule flights the next day, in them days Id worked alone.
    Replacing a engine driven vacuum pump on a Piper Chieftan in winter or a coastal rain while on the ramp was a challenge.
    the most challenging work alone was hanging a new engine on a Cessna 207 outdoors at night, i used a Bobcat skidsteer loader as my engine hoist.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  18. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats an rc plane... electric.

19. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

All I can say us I'm glad it wasn't me....... I moved wayyyyy down South to never see the nasty cold again. A little bit....sure. That stuff that takes your breath away! Never again!

20. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Ive hearda that, one pilot I knew had to eventually find some full time care for his elderly mother (medicaid was not enuf) so leased a house (with house keeper and gardener) in Thailand and has a live in Thai nurse to watch Momma.
    He snow birds it to Alaska to grubstake his stay in Thailand.
    Another pilot not long ago had a good tan, Id asked if he was running a trap line or something, said he was just back from Belize, said he and wifey got to calculating what their Social Security and the little they managed to squirrel away and found they had to keep moving south till they found an afgordable place to live.