Firearms Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I wrote the NRA and told them bluntly how disgusted I am over this and other LaPierre's actions and mismanagement and they will not see support from me, financial or otherwise, in any fashion, until LaPierre is gone, resigned or fired.

This is an unbelievable outrage.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
I wrote the NRA and told them bluntly how disgusted I am over this and other LaPierre's actions and mismanagement and they will not see support from me, financial or otherwise, in any fashion, until LaPierre is gone, resigned or fired.

This is an unbelievable outrage.
Imagine if 3M of the current membership stated the same thing, in writing, and income drastically dropped to "nothing" to back it up. I suspect the supposed "leadership" of the NRA would finally get a clue and recognize they'd have to adapt or die off.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have to wonder what power that one man has over the BOD or whoever has the power to fire him. They know he isn't supported by the membership but he's still there. There's somethings we don't know. Maybe all of them are corrupt and immoral.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Many years ago La Pierre corrupted the BOD:

NRA money flowed to board members amid allegedly lavish spending by top officials and vendors - The Washington Post

NRA has been paying board members who oversee its spending: Washington Post report. (slate.com)

An NRA board member and sitting judge has demanded an investigation into La Pierre's shenanigans as a part of the present bankruptcy proceedings.

"Dallas, TX — The National Rifle Association might not be able to hide from their problems in Texas, if one Wichita, KS judge has anything to say about it.

Kansas’s Sedgwick County district court judge, Phil Journey, has asked a federal court in Texas to assign an “independent examiner” into the NRA’s top leadership — including Wayne LaPierre — and their out of control spending.

Specifically, did the longtime CEO and his friends enrich themselves and a few friends off the donations of unsuspecting gun owners — and work to conceal that fact from unsuspecting board members.

Journey is a former Kansas Senator, but also a longtime board member of the NRA. He is not some far-left liberal judge that the NRA can claim is trying to destroy the organization because they hate the Second Amendment."

NRA Board Member - And Sitting Judge - Asks Federal Court To Appoint Investigator Into NRA Leadership's Misspending : Second Amendment Daily News

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Please join me in writing the NRA to express disgust and demand LaPierre resign.
i've done that several times to no avail.

In 1960 i became NRA lifetime member. For years i contributed until it hurt: i cut them off a few years ago after WLP began railing about stuff outside the NRA charter. Barring legal action, the only thing that will get the NRA boards attention is cutting the money off.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
i've done that several times to no avail.

In 1960 i became NRA lifetime member. For years i contributed until it hurt: i cut them off a few years ago after WLP began railing about stuff outside the NRA charter. Barring legal action, the only thing that will get the NRA boards attention is cutting the money off.
They may be beyond that, al!
NRA may be set up to self-fund through political or corporate connections. Don't send them a dime!

ellis

Reactions: alsaqr

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
I wonder what the NRA's percentages are, for application of funding to the mission's purpose (actual purposeful operations) as opposed to "administrative" costs.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The NRA has to show financial disclosures.....somewhere.
The board of directors has access to it.
Unless someone is cooking the books all should be disclosed and available for public viewing.
With their high profile it has to be there.
Imagine what the democrats would be doing to them if it wasn't?

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
The NRA has to show financial disclosures.....somewhere.
The board of directors has access to it.
Yep.

Been following the NRA dumpster fire since the convention brewed up. Some things about the NRA:

1. There are several NRA entities, primary ones being the NRA, an organization exempt from paying income tax.

2. The NRA Foundation. Donations to the NRA Foundation are tax exempt. It is the NRA Foundation that does the good stuff like teaching firearms safety, training of firearm safety officers, firing range improvements, etc. The Foundation has no worker bees. The NRA proper charges the NRA Foundation for services rendered by worker bees and for administration.

3. For many years the NRA under Wayne La Pierre, has robbed the NRA foundation. That is the scummiest thing WLP and the NRA BOD has done.

The NRA is required to file an annual form 990 with the IRS and a Char 500 form with the state of New York where the NRA is chartered.

The tax exempt NRA Foundation files a form 990 with the IRS and a form with Washington, DC where the Foundation is chartered.

i had a couple dozen links on this computer pertaining to NRA annual reports, cleaned them out yesterday.

Compare lines 19 on the 2018 and 2019 form 990s.

NRA-2018-990.pdf (documentcloud.org)

NRA 2019 IRS Form 990 - NRA Watch

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have been a NRA member, off and on for about 30 years.
I will not defend their bad actions, either as a company or at the hands of LaPierre.
They need to be held accountable, and I wonder why the board members and supporters aren't doing so.

That being said, we need the NRA to be strong and continue to be a pain in the *** for anyone trying to restrict 2nd Amendment rights.
Whenever there is an incident the first one to blame by the media and the liberals is the NRA.
That means to me that they are a force that is feared by those groups.
As long as the NRA keeps getting that type of attention I believe they are viable.

Over the years they have made some compromises that many gun owners do not agree with, myself included.
But often a compromise is the only way to defuse a situation that could end badly for gun owners.
Until another organization comes along with the same stroke the NRA carries I don't think they can be dismissed by either side.

And if LaPierre is indeed a problem then he needs to go without weakening the NRA's presence in the 2nd amendment arguments to come.

·
Premium Member
11,503 Posts
Had a reply written, but changed my mind.

Went through the same discussion years ago, over having been picked for a Bison tag, with a more liberal friend, pulling the killing them doesn't help card.

Not saying he didn't make a few good points, but that money does go to the preservation of the species, at least here in the US. Same with preserves in Africa, and if applied to remove old, sick, or injured animals, it does help the overall health of the herd.

Been on my share of hunts, that were run like that in the last 30 years. Only reason I didn't take a bison on that hunt was the only ones were spotted were healthy and young, and that would still have been the case, if the DNR rep and guide, said I could take one from that herd.

So I'm just going to post this, and walk away from this pissing match, but will add, check into the preserves in Africa, before passing judgement on the whole continent, because most provide the meat to villages, nothing gets wasted, and all money coming in goes to care of the herds, and prevention of poaching.

Just as my own money went into the same, on that Bison hunt.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Botswanna resumed auctioning elephant permits in 2020.

Botswana held its first auctions for the right to hunt elephants since lifting a ban last year.
The country has some 130,000 elephants, the largest population in the world.
The government sold seven hunting licences on Friday, with each allowing hunters to kill 10 elephants in "controlled hunting areas".
Officials revoked a 2014 ban in May, saying human-elephant conflict and the negative impact on livelihoods was increasing.

The lifting of the ban has been popular with many in rural communities, but has been heavily criticised by conservationists.
How did the auctions work?
Seven packages of 10 elephants each were sold at the auction in the capital Gaborone on Friday afternoon, the BBC's Southern Africa correspondent Nomsa Maseko reports.

Only companies registered in Botswana were allowed to bid for the licences. Bidders put down a refundable deposit of 200,000 pula ($18,000; £14,000).
The government has issued a quota for the killing of 272 elephants in 2020.
The hunting would help areas most impacted by "human wildlife conflict", wildlife spokeswoman Alice Mmolawa told AFP news agency.
Why was the ban reversed?
Many rural communities believe a return to commercial hunting will help keep the elephant population away from their villages, and also bring in much-needed income in places not suitable for high-end tourism.
And it's not a case of flying in, jumping in a Land Rover, and shooting the first elephant/lion/rhino you see. These hunts involve guidance from wildlife biologists which will typically identify a "problem child" whose harvest will do the most good for the herd and the locals. Your tag helps pay for several aspects of herd management, along with helping the local economy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have been a NRA member, off and on for about 30 years.
I will not defend their bad actions, either as a company or at the hands of LaPierre.
They need to be held accountable, and I wonder why the board members and supporters aren't doing so.

That being said, we need the NRA to be strong and continue to be a pain in the *** for anyone trying to restrict 2nd Amendment rights.
Whenever there is an incident the first one to blame by the media and the liberals is the NRA.
That means to me that they are a force that is feared by those groups.
As long as the NRA keeps getting that type of attention I believe they are viable.

Over the years they have made some compromises that many gun owners do not agree with, myself included.
But often a compromise is the only way to defuse a situation that could end badly for gun owners.
Until another organization comes along with the same stroke the NRA carries I don't think they can be dismissed by either side.

And if LaPierre is indeed a problem then he needs to go without weakening the NRA's presence in the 2nd amendment arguments to come.
Of course everyone is entitled to their thoughts on the NRA.

Personally i pray the weenies and deal makers ar the NRA has NOTHING to do with with any future arguments over the RTKABA.

We will be much much better off if they dont.

Anti gunners and the NRA have played footsie since the thirtys. Of course leftys in power point at the NRA . They do so because they know the NRA will play ball with them and always always give up something.
Or actually call for gun regulation themselves if the political winds blow them that way.

They are useless , have been since before i was born. The sooner they die off and get out of real no compromise pro RTKABA organizations the better

21 - 33 of 33 Posts