The NRA, Poop Creek and A Missing Paddle

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Kimber45, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Kimber45

Kimber45 New Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Well said.

If I didn't have to be an NRA member to belong to my shooting club/range, I'd have quit years ago.

3. Kimber45

Kimber45 New Member

Ditto. :D

4. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

The NRA just chose to support the dem here - Chet Edwards - in his re-election. He is Pelosi's lap dog, and she even singled him out by name when Obama was trying to decide on a running mate (before he picked Biden).

He voted to suspend the house rules that let them ram thru Health Care - and with the twist in rules, some Dems with some possibly of defeat could then not vote for the final bill, and they could still get away with it.

Well, the NRA is backing this guy against a new Republican candidate.

I have posted this issue on a couple of sites now - I will have nothing to do with the NRA after they decided this...

5. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I just advised them not to support Reid, as it will cost them my membership. If you feel strongly WRT this issue, I recommend you do the same.

6. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Dude, if you read Neil Knox, you'd know the NRA will not fold under the weight of threats. If you want to see a change in how the NRA functions, it would be better to get elected to the board & make changes from within.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I didn't renew my membership or my wife's when they expired a few months back after I heard what they were doing with Reid. I let them know and if they change their position I would consider renewing but it will take some convincing.

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

The NRA lobbies for the benefit of the NRA not for it's members.

9. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Harry Reid is a long time friend of gunowners and the 2nd Amendment. Reid voted against the extension of the AWB: 10 of those fine gun loving Republicans voted for it and it passed the US senate.

AFM: i could care less that the pro-gunner is a Baptist preacher or a lesbian Wiccan.

10. RossA

RossA New Member

I've had my share of major differences with the NRA over the years, and I can't stand Dirty Harry Reid, but just to keep things in perspective, you have to remember this:
    The NRA is a "single issue" group. Many NRA members are conservative in most areas, but the NRA doesn't concern itself with those areas. It doesn't get involved in gay rights, abortion, taxes, etc. It has the single purpose of addressing Second Amendment issues.
    When you look at Reid's voting record, he actually stacks up pretty well in this area, therefore he gets the NRA's support. The fact that he totally sucks as a left wing nut case in other areas doesn't affect the NRA's decision to back him based upon his gun rights record.
    Overall, I think that Reid does more harm than good, but that's not how the NRA makes its choices. They look at gun votes alone. Maybe that's not the best way to do it, but the NRA doesn't label itself a "conservative" lobbying group, but a Second Amendment lobbying group.
    Just my .02 worth.

11. Swampbilly

Swampbilly New Member

12. cohoskip

cohoskip New Member

Ditto, RossA

Y'all shouldn't have a knee jerk reaction to the NRAs decision. They are going to be around regardless of your thoughts or your membership. And they will still lobby for gun rights...

13. Kimber45

Kimber45 New Member

Ross, I agree with you 100% BUT . . . How can anyone support the 2nd Amendment and allow the first to be compromised? Or for that mater any part of the Constitution? To me it is in complete contradiction, one either embraces the Constitution and accepts it as is in it's entirety or one doesn't. And remember this is the cretan that says health care is a right and I'll be danged if I can find that anywhere in the Constitution. :confused:

14. RossA

RossA New Member

Kimber, in principle I totally agree with you. In practice I'm just saying what the NRA's position is. While I can understand the "single issue" logic, I don't necessarily agree with it myself.

15. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

What concerns me is that the NRA bothers to endorse any candidate at all. Just give or provide the information about their voting record and let the electorate decide.

I sent an email to NRA requesting clarification on this and they have decided to act like Congress and not respond.

ENLIGHTENING!!

16. slickshot223

slickshot223 New Member

17. dexntex

dexntex New Member

The NRA is about Firearms Freedom, nothing else

Listen to Ross A. He's a Texan :D. If all you NRA bashers and quiters abandon the NRA, you may as well hand your firearms over today to Diane Feinstein or Chuck Schumer or Carolyn McCarthy or......(pick your favorite anti-gunnner) because you won't have them long anyway. You can weigh all of your important political priorities and decide whether or not to take the NRA's advice. But do not dilute the focus of the NRA on our firearm freedoms. If the NRA tried to satisfy all political persuasions and opinions, it would be as ineffective as the politicians themselves. The NRA gets my money because I know exactly what I am buying and that is at least a couple of ammo cans full of anti-gunner ammunition.

18. utelme

utelme New Member

nra/reid

Vote for him or dont NRA is just saying which candidat:confused::(
    e is know to be tyhe most 2nd amendment friendly. I think Harry Reid sucks but I dont blame NRA for supporting him based on his voting record for 2nd amendment rights.

19. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

My support for the NRA remains just as strong today as it did the day I decided to become a life member. There is not an organization in the world that makes the right decisions 100% of the time. I totally agree with RossA's posts and urge everyone to restrain from burning your bra's and jockstraps over this issue.

It would be intersting to know just how the millions of members stack up on this Reid issue.

20. Freedom-1911

Freedom-1911 New Member

If the NRA supports Reid. I will never buy from them again. Will never give a gift membership again. I will find the next REAL 2nd Amendment support group and back them.

The NRA has been infiltrated by Liberals and the backing of Reid is proof.

Just my opinion. I understand that they look at how Reid has backed the 2nd Amend, but he has gone sooooo far the wrong way on everything else. They think we should vote for him because of the 2an Amen and when he gets back in to office he will work hard to screw us on every other front to the point that we have no rights including and especially the 2nd Amend.
    Reid is a liberal left nut job, everyone knows it. They know it. And I have no doubt that he votes the way he does with Nancy's blessings just so they can have a mole on the favorable side of the NRA.
    The NRA is either gullible, blind or infiltrated.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010