The New York gun control provisions expected to be passed Monday cover several fronts

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Bigcountry02, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

FYI

The New York gun control provisions expected to be passed Monday cover several fronts.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...s-Ban-Magazines-Limit-Cuomo-NY-186794151.html

The provisions discussed in private conferences were confirmed to The Associated Press by five officials, Republicans and Democrats, in the Assembly and the Senate. The proposals would:

—Further restrict assault weapons to define them by a single feature, such as a pistol grip. Current law requires two features.

—Make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor.

—Mandate a police registry of assault weapons.

—Establish a state registry for all private sales, with a background check done through a licensed dealer for a fee, excluding sales to immediate relatives.

—Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

—Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons.

—Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

—Require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours. Otherwise, the owner would face a possible misdemeanor.

—Increase sentences for gun crimes including for taking a gun on school property.

—Limit the state records law to protect handgun owners from being identified publicly. The provision would allow a handgun permit holder a means to maintain privacy under the Freedom of Information law.

The proposal comes as Republican state Sen. Greg Ball criticized The Journal News newspaper for identifying pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties based on a FOIL request.

The officials requested anonymity because lawmakers hadn't yet signed off on some provisions

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

looks like violent crime is about to explode through the roof in new york. we have seen how well gun bans work in chitcago ca and dc

3. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

It's great that the republicans will sell us out in order to say they passed a law that prevents gun owner's names from being published. My sister and her family bought a place in Bluffton SC as well as my elderly parents and they've been telling me to go down there too. It's hard to leave kids and grand kids, as well as friends, but sometimes leaving is the only choice. When their homes are sold this year they'll be gone from this hell hole. I wanted to leave years ago, but this legislation will be the final straw. Being retired LE I've always tried to obey the law, but registration will mean eventual confiscation and total ban of certain weapons like NYC did. This country is turning into three things, bi-lingual, bi-sexual and bi-polar.

4. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

i like how they arent " confusateing" hi cap mags you are just forced to sell them is the goverment going to force me to sell my suv out of state next baning internet sales is also a violaction of interstate commeres what is unsafe storage of a weppen anyway the 2nd admendent foundation should have fun with this law hassent passed yet thow

5. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

F Those Corksocking Futher Mucking Bastiges!!!!!!

6. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Absolutely!

image-2624743311.jpg

7. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

8. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I really gotta move..... Can't take it much longer..

9. coonbait

coonbait Member

they are just turning alot of law abiding people into criminals. and to think that they are going to stop crazy people from doing crazy things. all they are doing is trying to advance there political careers.

10. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Mags limited to 7 rounds??

Well NY, I foresee a massive explosion in revolver sales. OR a mass exodus. Or protests. Or all 3

11. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I have several questions about the 7 round mag requirement:

1) if you are traveling by car from Pennsylvania to Vermont (having no other choice but to drive through NY), can you bring mags over 7 rounds?

2) when 7 rounds is challenged in court, if this part of the law is overturned, is the whole bill nullified, or can just parts be overturned?

3) almost all semi-automatic pistols don't have 7 round magazines available or any magazine available to be NY legal. What if the OEM refuses to produce new mags?

4) the new law says you must sell your old mags out of state within 1 year. Does a state government have the right to force you to sell your property?

5) what about military forced to be stationed in NY? Do they have to sell their property or do they have any protection under the soldiers and sailors act?

6) what are the prospects of this law being put in injunction and/or being over-turned? What is the time frame that all this would take?

12. Mike72

Mike72 New Member

12/22 Revolver sales should skyrocket in NY

13. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

Hurry New Yorkers send your magazines to me in Tennessee. I would hate for you to get a misdemeanor. Oh no!

14. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Revolvers and maybe 1911s sale will skyrocket

15. badasstruck

badasstruck New Member

Cuomo is a duechebag! Highest crime reports are in NY....hmmmmm. I see a connection here!

16. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Yep. An intentional connection, IMHO.
    NY is dedicated to the concept of keeping the streets safe for criminals, to quote Mas Ayoob.

17. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

The 7 round restriction is a perfect example of why I am against any limits on magazine capacity. The common line of "Why do you need more than 10 rounds?" has already gone to "No one needs more than 7 rounds in NY".

Amazing. 7 also seems completely arbitrary. I'm sure there is some reason for it.

I can't believe my 30-30 is an "Assault Weapon" under NY law. Thank Dog I have no reason to go to NY ever.

18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Yes the 7 round magazine is their stupid, democrat little moronic brains attempt to "ban something" by getting around the law.

The morons who use our oxygen, saw that no one really makes under 8 round magazines. So the parasites that dwell in our country, thought they were smart by making a 7 round limit. In their pre-pubescent minds, this will force everyone to turn in their magazines, rendering them inneffective.

The problem is, that these people are so deluded and pre-occupied with their communist goals, that they have no concept of freedom, or how the free market works. They see the constitution as an impediment to their designs... but don't understand, that RIGHT NOW, companies are making 7 round magazine designs to sell to New York.

I wish the worst on New York... nothing good. May pestilence, and destruction fall upon her.

19. eltoro

eltoro New Member

Well looks like you NY residents either need to jump ship or fight for rights ! and or start 80% builds asap quietly and hide them well to protect your life from the evil people ;)