The new Xbox One

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, May 22, 2013.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Well, Microsoft unveiled their new Xbox One console. Also, the gear you have for Xbox 360 will not work on the new Xbox One, that is what gamers are reporting.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/05/22/the_xbox_one_is_not_very_consumer_friendly

What Microsoft did not reveal, was how unfriendly the console will be to the average consumer.

So far, this is what we have learned about the Xbox One from multiple sources:

- The console is not backwards compatible, even for downloaded Xbox 360 games. This was not unexpected, but it still sucks for gamers who paid good money to build collections over the last 7 years.

- Installing games will be mandatory, but at least Microsoft says you can play while it installs. Once you place the disc in and install, you will never have to use the disc again.

- Used games, rented games and borrowed games from friends will not be playable unless you pay a fee to install from that disc. This will effectively kill the second-hand market unless you are willing to pay said "fee."

- The rumored always-on DRM was not as bad as expected, but developers can build games that require an always-on Internet connection at their own discretion, meaning the console will slowly but surely move to always-on.

- The Xbox One does not work without the Kinect 2 sensor. Period.

- The console's 500GB hard drive is non-replaceable.

This is what I was able to compile after today, which is an extreme amount of anti-consumer practices. We can only imagine there will be more to come.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22623010

Xbox One pre-owned games may require fee payment!

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Well, they just shot themselves in the foot.

3. rurak

rurak New Member

The pre owned thing would make me not want it. I'm s playstation guy anyways but come on microsoft ... greddy bast@&^s

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Almost every single game I have was bought used (Too cheap to pay $50 for a game when I can wait awhile and get it for $10). I probably wouldn't get one just for that one issue alone. :mad:

5. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I havent had a 360 that lasted longer then 3 years. This killed any chance of me ever giving them any more of my money. All the things they changed one the new one are bs too.

6. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

That was rather crappy of them. They not only are going to turn away consumers. What about all the small businesses that rely on selling used games? From GameStop, to pawn shops.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Since seeing this thread, I've done some looking around on the interwebs. I can't find any kind of real number of people who are excited about this. It's kinda like obamacare. At first, everyone was like "yay!! this could be awesome!", then they're like "wait... da phuq d'you just say?"

8. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Still getting it! Why? Because being the average American I have to have the newest **** I don't need to impress the people I don't like. :)

9. BWilder

BWilder New Member

how much are they going to sell for?

10. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

I would expect them to be pretty pricy like these systems are when they are first released, i wont be suprised 500+ easy. So far after reading all the BS this might entail, im not planning on getting one, and i have been pro-xbox since the first one came out i love the first two!

11. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

They will be $600+

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Microsoft is saying that there will be no fees for used games.

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport3/status/336924786410278912

The way that Microsoft is going is not original. Eliminating the used game market has been done by a company that PC gamers love, Steam. The difference is that when you have a physical copy of the game in your hand you expect the license to be attached to that disc and not to some digital license which is how Steam works.

Any sort of internet connection requirement, even just once will really piss off military people. They will get sent a copy of the newest game they want while deployed and not be able to play it.

My guess on price is $500 on release day but they will have a $300 version within a few months that will require a 1-2 year commitment to Xbox Live subscription.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Totally not getting one. Too pricey too much non game crap on it. I dont want a always on kinect lookijg at me. I dont play games so i can jump around like a baboon. I play games so i can sit in my chair in private and move as little as possible while i relax in the cool dark of my basement from the stress of the day.

This motion sensing crap is just the opposite of what i want in a game.

14. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I agree about the always on camera that would be duct taped over in my house.

But I actually prefer devices that have more than just 1 purpose. I replaced a cable box, Blu-Ray player and Roku box with 1 device, a home built PVR (Windows 7 computer that has a cable card in it). If the Xbox one is capable of being a media center extender then I might get one and never buy a single game for it.

15. improvised_prepper

improvised_prepper New Member

I agree with you, but if they really fine tuned the motion sensing platform it would be AWESOME for the first person shooter games.... But they really need to be dedicated on it, I don't want a cheap WII like feel to it.